Hurt Hot and the tool to achieve it

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Hurt Hot and the tool to achieve it

Post by dlb »

i want to revive this topic because both my dream terc and my pal's terc have utterly pathetic, almost non-existent heat output. i have done chemical flushes on both with virtually no improvement. i called a few local shops to see if they had a similar pulsating tool but none do. my pal and i could replace two heater cores but that would be a huge PITA, plus i'm anticipating more clogged, rusted, scaly cooling systems in my future, so i'm considering just buying one of these damn things myself.

colin, do you have access to a tool like this through your store? how much would it run? i'm going to look into other canadian options, like princess auto.

*edit* made some phone calls and the best i can find around here is about $600--too steep. even with shipping to canada, rockauto is only $460. probably duty fees on top of that though, unless i ship it to a US address.

SD, you mentioned an adapter kit in your first post but i can't find it on rockauto's site. when i look up part #5122 i just get timing belts and crap.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have a "shad tree" solution for you to try. this comes via Synth, who has an old Mercedes that had a fully plugged heater core. He tired everything himself to fix it, than gave up and took it to a local mechanic, a Greek from the old country, who drained all of the coolant, and filled it up with tomato juice. Ran it for a while (not sure how long, perhaps drove it for several days?), than drained it and flushed it out, and put in regular coolant. he said the heat out put has never been so good. The guy has a tank of tomato juice he keeps reusing for this kind of "repair". It would have aceidic acid, perhaps some citric acid, and lots of fiber, and who knows what else. Seems like a cheap thing to try anyway, and easier than using the vibro-blaster thing.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Check oreilly's asap! They put the plastic version back on clearance a week or two ago. Under $200 for gun and adapters.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

just checked oreilly's, i don't see the gun or adapters. just coolant tanks and service filters. i guess they're out. dang!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Sorry, deal over again... Keep an eye on ebay.

I wonder if vinegar would work well. I read about cleaning nasty cycle carbs in it and tried it on an old toro snowblower I'm getting running. Vinegar took the corrosion off way better than the berryman carb dip can did. Douche it at your own risk!

The metal Gates branded one comes with all the adapters. The plastic Viper, they come separate.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

The Viper #'s are 5120 for the gun and 5122 for the adapters.
The gates # is 91002
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

couldn't find anything on ebay or amazon but will keep checking o'reilly's on a regular basis to see if it comes up again soon.

something weird is that nothing came up on o'reilly's site when i searched for "viper" but when i did a google search for "viper 5120" i got the o'reilly's page for it. here's the link for future reference.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0192

and here's the adapter kit

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0192
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I'm sorry these last posts didn't happen sooner. I almost bought a spare when they popped up clearance price again.

I had a funny alternate use for the gun. Cleared out a super nasty mouse nest plug in a snowmobile muffler. It was an active nest until a sudden case of hydrocarbon poisoning. Why does this sled barely move? :lol:
It was kind of scary due to the orientation of the inlet/outlet. When the big chunk went, it shot 25 feet. Look out!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

AAAAAHHHH i think i just got one of these! it's on clearance again, the flush kit is $105 and the adapter kit is $32, so i ordered them both. i got them shipped to a port angeles, WA address so with shipping it and taxes, it came to $170 US. i'll have to walk on the coho ferry to pick it up but o'reilly's doesn't ship to canada so it was my only option.

so pumped for this. hope there are no snags along the way.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

good call, I just ordered one too. Although I have used the vinegar soak fairly sucessfully, I could have used this item on three cars in the last year and saved a lot of time messing around with the soak method. At this price it was hard to resist. I have had to replaced scaled up radiators several times too, I wonder if it will work to clean out radiators too, that alone could pay for it doing it just once.

So, anyone in the Seattle/Puget sound area need a heater core or even a radiator flush done, I should have the tool to use soon. for a small fee to help pay for the tool, I will be happy to do it for you.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i was thinking the same thing, peter. in addition to heater cores it will extend the lives of many radiators too. as long as it doesn't break (like all the plastic pressure washers do), it should be a very useful, worthwhile tool.

glad you caught the deal too.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, this is (at least) one reason I wish I were younger.
Not for more adventures, per se, but - to rescue more oddball vehicles and use this tool.
I sorely want this, but even in my wildest rationalization I cannot justify it.
Sadly, all - and I mean ALL - of my HS and Collitch peers and relatives drive modern cars and do not believe in maintaining those vehicles themselves.
Goldie was even a topic at my last HS lunch, when my 'mates said they were taking up a collection to "Buy Tom a new car."

Incidentally, I was not able to find any video showing this particular model flusher in action, which is strange - the bigga buck, one, Yes - but not this one. Odd.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Still thinking...
Anyway, I sent this to Clore, the manufacturer of the kit and, FYI:

Re Viper 5120 and 5122 flushing kits. I am contemplating buying one each of these kits from O'Reilly Auto Parts. However, I can find no reference to it on your web site nor even (oddly) a Youtube video showing it in use (other Viper kits, yes, but not this one). Has it been discontinued for a problem or ? This would be for hobbyist use and not commercial use. Thanks!
Its answer:
Dear Thomas,
While Clore Automotive discontinued the 5120 and 5122. The units worked, but they were not a high sale item.
Sincerely,
Cliff Botham
+1 913.310.1065 and 1-800-328-2921
cbotham@cloreautomotive.com

He DID send a pdf on the Owners Manual. I can d/l it and add it here if anyone is interested - it's 8 pages with no pix.

I talked to two local O'Reilly stores and the items do not appear in their system. I told both that they appear in the online catalog and they could not account for it. Finally, one found the unit and said the price was $600+. I told him about the exact sale price of $104.78 and the original price online was stated as $400.
He said the price for the 5122 was $200+. I told him about it being on sale at $31.98 and the original price was stated as $122.
He could not account for it, but said to come in and talk to a daytime manager and we could go from there.

Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i finally got my viper 5120 and 5122 and had a chance to try it out. my dream terc has had virtually no heat output since i got it so it was the perfect candidate.

the manual sucks in that it doesn't tell you which part is which. it says stuff like "attach the universal radiator adapter" but there are no pics to show you which adapter that is. it seemed to me that the hose with the small rubber cone at the end was for heater cores while the large rubber cone was for radiators so that's what i did. i was worried the pressure was going to be immense and i was going to get back-sprayed like crazy for my foolish decision to simply hold the rubber cone adapters against the heater core ports and radiator hoses but the pressure was negligible so holding it firmly was fine. blasted away one direction for a while, then the other. lots of milk-like fluid came out of the heater core, no idea what that was. i wanted to catch the outflow in a bucket so i could give details about what came out of there but that proved too troublesome, sorry gents. i then did the rad while i was at it, put everything back together, refilled the rad, let the car warm up, and then went for a drive. the conclusion is that the fan now produces heat! it's not "hurt hot" like SD got but it seems to be about normal heat output now. i'm really happy with the results.

a few notes: i initially only turned the water faucet tap on part way but then turned it up wide open. i figured more flow meant more pressure.

the total cost of this tool for me was about $285 canadian.

5120 kit - $105 us
5122 kit - $32 us
taxes - $13 us
shipping - $21 us

for a total of $169 us. then i got charged a ridiculous us/canadian exchange rate on my credit card, plus a 2.5% fee on top of that, for a total of $217 canadian.

then because oreilly's won't ship to canada, i had it shipped to an address in port angeles. it cost me $45 round trip to take the ferry from victoria to port angeles, plus $21 us for the us shipping address holding it for me for several weeks before i could get down there. i'm tired of getting raped on us/canadian exchange and the fees so i have set up a no-fees us account and us credit card for these types of purchases. a member here also told me about a us shipping address that delivers packages to the victoria airport, so i will be doing that in the future and saving time and money by avoiding the coho ferry. i estimate i would have saved about $80 if i had all this stuff in place before. i guess i never had a reason to have such elaborate international purchasing and shipping plans before though, so live and learn.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Ooh man, smugglers blues! Glad you got results. Now that you've established some better flow, maybe a chem flush, followed by more gunning. Sometimes the engine is partially to blame for poor heat. Gotta get the heat in to the coolant before you can get it back out. I too had white phlegm along with some crusty particles. Hot water may work better, but I crank both for max pressure(hot only if the engine is warm). Full blast seems safe as long as you don't restrict the exhaust.

The big cone is for the engine or rad. The small cone is for the core or anywhere else needed when space is tight. The barbed push on fittings work best for the core as you can clamp it down to the hoses and lock the trigger on the gun for 5-10 minutes(if your compressor can keep up).

If you really want to see the discharge, ziptie an old sock to the outlet to catch it. I have not done this. Only observed the large loogie that usually exits right away. Some cars push particles out for a while.

Note- my hurt hot was during mild winter temps. Temp gauge used was my shoe leather working hands..

Now you just have to pimp your friends to recoup some moolah. Pretty much ANY older car will see an improvement in heat output.

Good luck my fellow flush master!