RWD

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The problem I have with locking hubs is that you have to get out of the car. It may be the only "easy" approach to the thought, but the inconvinience is there too. Its a very valid point.
I wonder if some sort of vacuum system couldn't be used like on a Ford? You know, you click it to 4wd and the front hubs vacuum-lock? Then of course you hit the issue of getting the extra vacuum to use and of the sheer cost of that more complicated system.

Don't think I don't think on what you introduce as an idea. I do. Whether I'm angry or not, I will give it thought and on how effective it would be.

The issues I see with screwing the front diff or removing the half-shafts;
The tranny is wasting effort trying to put power where it cannot be used.
Just how long can you expect that to last before having a dead diff or no CV's effects either the trans or the suspension?
How would either effect how you could drive? I get pretty aggresive and the thought of a wheel folding in gives me the shivers.
Would not those generate unnecessary heat in the trans?

What if it works wonderfully? What if it reduces temps? What if, what if, what if? You know what I mean.
All of your ideas are cool and merit applause, but you have to remember I am both an inexperienced idiot kid, have raging hormones that can effect my judgement and attitude in an instant... You surely must remember what being a teen was like? If you don't, thats too bad.

Did we start off on the wrong foot here ghetto and abort? Sorry if I effected that.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Toyota's_Abortion

Post by Toyota's_Abortion »

Typrus wrote: Did we start off on the wrong foot here ghetto and abort? Sorry if I effected that.
Maybe we did. I can't speak for Mr. Ghetto and his asstruck but I feel that a minor misunderstanding has occured. At first you appeared to be a mormon survivalist living in the sticks of Colorado. You whine too much about crap that can't be helped, such as 20 year old 4wd wagons that break constantly because they are dainty and not engineered for the abuse that only Americans can deliver. But if this is a case of youth and experimentation, so be it. Turn your Tercel into a 500hp turbo 5VZFE powered AWD behemoth. You won't here any objection from me. I however am here to absorb technical knowledge to make my tercel run better in STOCK FORM. It was built a poor mans 4WD and it will die a poor man's yard car.

Oh yeah, thank you for explaining your avitar. Now I see the blood and glass and not the stems and seeds.
Sould have bought a Datsun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

Toyota's_Abortion wrote: 20 year old 4wd wagons that break constantly because they are dainty and not engineered for the abuse that only Americans can deliver.
Heavy-handed driving and a total lack of maintenance; the mark of an American car-owner. ;)

I learned not to abuse the machinery in one of the daintiest of all imports, a 1976 Triumph Spitfire. I was working at a Jiffy-Lube back in 1992, and had been watching that particular Spit for 2 years. It had been sitting in the parking lot at a GoodYear tire store for the better part of a decade. The original top had rotted off, then the tarp they covered it with rotted off as well. The guy wanted $1500 the first time I asked, but in 92, the price had come down to $200. I had to jump.

After I paid the guy for the car, he asked when I'd like to come by to pick up the factory hardtop he had stored in his garage.

Sooo... I battled the typical Spit hydraulic issues (finally solved by replacing a few misc. brake and clutch cylinders and having the brake master cylinder sleeved in brass), replaced the top and carpet, and drove the car every day for a few months. You can break the transmission in a Spitfire by giving the shifter a dirty look, so I'd shift with my fingertips. I still use a light touch to this day, something that's undoubtedly helped to keep my Tercel's transmission working properly.

One of my proudest moments came when I went in search of a rebuild kit for the sidedraft carburetor. A little import parts house had one in stock, but the guy didn't want to sell it to me. He insisted I wasn't capable, although I'd rebuilt many carburetors by that time. He finally relented, and sold me the kit for $5 on the condition that I never whine about the useless pile of parts I'd turned the carb into.

I drove the Spit to his shop the next day, purring like a kitten. He asked if I'd like to rebuild the carbs on his Volvo 142.

BTW, in the trunk of that Spit was a treasure trove of accessories, including a tonneau cover still new in it's British Leyland bag, and a shrink-wrapped owner's manual.

I sold that car to a doctor who used it to commute between North Carolina and DC 3 days a week for a year. Who was I to tell him it was a bad idea?

One of these days I've got to find another Spitfire, but the next one has to have an overdrive transmission.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, I was going to suggest to T______s_A______n that he cut Typrus some slack, but in retrospect would just suggest that he chill out. It is certainly not a new member's prerogative in any organization to "cut some slack" for someone who has been a member as long as Typrus and who has contributed as much to the Board as he has.

Typrus has achievements, some of which he detailed and some of which 3A-C detailed. He has done a lot with not much, and the lessons he has learned were learned the hard way.

As mentioned in an earlier post, he is ENTHUSIASTIC, and that is his most important attribute. He brings curiosity, which may at times seem humorous and from an excess of youthful exuberance and/or his self-admitted "raging hormones", but he does bring the curiosity of his age and that should be encouraged and not dissed, and most particularly not dissed on a personal level.

Typrus, you are not an "idiot kid", as you mentioned in your self-deprecating post. You are just full of questions. While not a true Latin phrase, I would suggest you remember "Illegitimi Non Carborundum."

Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Toyota's_Abortion

Post by Toyota's_Abortion »

I never believed in seniority. The fact that I need to cut slack for a long time member shows weakness on there part. ARCHINSTL, I am very relaxed, no need to chill. Its 11:30 and I am ending my day with a little computer time. Emotions are hard to brodcast over the internet. I am not mad at typrus, I am not judging typrus (not anymore) and I would like to apologize for the hijacking of this thread. Let's get back to the RWD topic :)

Edit: I see that some are seeing this as a personal attack on typrus. I was disagreeing with him in frank way. Typrus is not an "idiot kid", im sure of it. I do not take any thing on the internet personally, but thats me. My mindset is different than others I guess. Typrus, If any thing I have said went beyond skin deep, than I apologise. I'm 28 years old, some still see me on the young and experienced side of the spectrum. It never hurts to learn.
Sould have bought a Datsun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

As was said. Misunderstanding. At the moment I'm beyond taking offense, in fact I was just chuckling to myself about the seeds and stems comment. I think I'll change that avatar to something else you might like. Its time for a change anyway.
Want to know something thats in my mind strongly? "We don't need no drugs no Ecstasy, just Hardcore luvin' endlessly." Quote from Happy Hardcore DJ Molly Mush's song, "Euphonism".
We each have our own views on things, and our own perspectives. I view things either at a 220 BPM hard-driving beat or slower, more confusing beat.

I'm most definitly not Mormon, I believe in one God and one Heaven. I don't go diving my head into hats thankyou, but thats my view and I can respect those who view that another way.
I'm a good ways out of the way of any "Big" cities, but thats out of dislike of city life, not of people or their beliefs.

I never did understand one universal way of defining "whining" nor complaining. When I may be just saying that I'm having problems and that its frustrating me, I might be stating it rather than moaning and groaning. Rather, meaning it as a simple statement of my current condition and simply as that. Though yes, I do whine sometimes.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
RabidHamster

Post by RabidHamster »

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in this thread.. but I probably missed it... the BIGGEST problem with converting to RWD /4wd configuration is that the front axles are always driven by the differential before the shaft to the rear axle even knows what';s going on.

the "easiest" way to do this is like what was already said... unlocking freewheeling front hubs. very similar to the old jeeps.. they were always in "4wd" and you unlocked part of the front axle... the biggest problem with that is that it never fully unlocks... even front hubs never fully unlock... your always sending some power through the front when the diff spins ... this may not be a BAD thing however... however I'd keep a couple sets of hub internals ... bearings on the sidelines... cause theres gonna be alot of wear in there from everything constantly spinning.

in my mind the BEST way would be to grab a corolla engine, 5spd... a samurai Tcase and front axle... corolla rear axle... have a set of shafts made.. and go from there.

ofcourse if all you want is a "sportier" rwd car ... with 4wd for winterlike use... a set of custom hubs up front would be your best option honestly.

as for spending way more then the car is worth.... welcome to customization... it is VERY rare that you will ever make money ... or even break even on a custom vehicle... but the POINT of customizing is to make it what YOU want... not to sell it someone else..
looking for an 88 4wd tercel once current project is "done"

78 datsun 620 kingcab 2wd - race and show

86 Camry LE - Daily driver till modded tercel 4wd is "done"
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

well i did it
it took me three days but i did it
we installed a 22re engine in a tercel wagon al25, with all the runnig gear of the pick up truck, i lowered it and it has a set of webber carbs and a cam
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

shogun wrote: well i did it
it took me three days but i did it
we installed a 22re engine in a tercel wagon al25, with all the runnig gear of the pick up truck, i lowered it and it has a set of webber carbs and a cam
Pictures please! :D
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

the car was not mine i just did some of the work, they use to pull some kinnd of personel transport but then again i dont know the guy who owns it wants to make it into a pickup, if i see it again ill take pictures
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

shogun wrote: the car was not mine i just did some of the work, they use to pull some kinnd of personel transport but then again i dont know the guy who owns it wants to make it into a pickup, if i see it again ill take pictures
If he wanted a pickup with a 22RE, why didn't he just start with one? :huh:
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Whoa, whoa... Wait a sec..... You took the front axle off of a 4wd Pickup and put it on the Terc? Along with engine, tranny, transfer case, driveshafts, and rear axle?
HOW?!?

Hmmm... Fascinating... Rock-Crawler Beast Terc? :lol: :P :rolleyes: