1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD DLX Automatic (Los Angeles)

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD DLX Automatic (Los Angeles)

Post by tercel4wdrules »

There comes a time when a "collector" must thin out his collection. I have reached that point, so the next car that has to go is my '84 automatic T4WD. It's a CA car that lived in Montana for some time and is setup as a tow car. These automatic wagons are smoother than their manual transmission counterparts, but they feel like a different car as the poor little 3A-C engines buzz quite a bit at normal highway speeds. Since they lack an overdrive gear as it has been mentioned elsewhere on the forums, it seems to me like they were geared to cruise best between 45-55 mph.

I will post pictures later, but for now I will describe it as best I can. It's silver with tinted rear windows.

It has approximately 230k miles, but it's unknown how many were actually driven. I put new front tires, a rebuilt carb, catalytic converter, and radiator top hose. It's an unfinished project, so it will definitely need more work. Among the list - will need to have the front-end checked as the old tires exhibited toe wear. The rear wheel bearings are noisy. The valve stem seals are bad as it will blow blue smoke upon start up, but it will clear up after running for a short while. I checked the compression awhile back and it was even. It has the usual valve cover gasket leaks. I replaced the intake/exhaust manifold gasket when I had to switch out the exhaust manifold to the CA version (someone had swapped the engine and didn't swap the exhaust manifold that has the AS "air suction" tube).

If you think you might be interested, send me a PM with an offer. If no one takes it from here, I will post it on Craigslist because it has to go pretty soon.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"