Intermittent no-crank situation in damp weather

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Ace
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '83 DLX 4WD Tercel wagon 3AC

Intermittent no-crank situation in damp weather

Post by Ace »

Over the last winter my 1983 Tercel sat outside in very wet weather and was used just occasionally. On a few occasions the starter would not engage on the first turn of the key, but on the second turn it would promptly crank and start. On one occasion last month it just clicked the first several times I turned the key, but eventually cranked and started promptly. After that we had warmer drier weather, I was using the car more, and the problem did not repeat.

I am supposing that the starter solenoid contacts may have oxidized in the damp weather, or maybe spiders got in there, but the contacts apparently "fixed" themselves after more frequent use. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this situation and whether it later resurfaced as something needing further attention or replacement?

My Tercel has 130,000+ mostly highway miles, relatively low for the age. I've never had to do any work on the starter or solenoid previously.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Intermittent no-crank situation in damp weather

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Before you do starter work, try removing the battery grounding strap and cleaning it well where it attaches to the sheet metal - others have had the same problem and that was the cause. I had that also, but on a different car many years ago.
Wow - 130K miles! A pup!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Check your battery contacts as Tom mentions, but likely it is the solenoid contacts.

for the first time I had exactly this issue. I was preparing to replace the starter, but kept putting it off because of so much rain. I would just keep clicking the starter, thinking that any corrosion would eventually chip or wear off and make contact. Usually it would only take two or three tries, but a few times I had to click it perhaps 15 to 20 times (I started trying to always park on a hill so I could roll start if necessary). But about three weeks ago the problem almost completely went away, only once or twice a week will not not start on the first try. Amazing, the Tercel starter fixed itself, saved me from having to replace the starter. Maybe I will put my spare starter in or not later this year, maybe I wont.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

The click-click is the solenoid contacts burning out. I get replacements for ~$6 total from my local starter/electrical guy. You CAN replace them without removing the starter, but its way easier with it out and on the bench. Just make sure to clean up the solenoid contact on the piston as well (some emery cloth or the like works). You may only need one contact as well, the contact on the power inlet (battery cable) is usually the one to go first, that's where the majority of the arcing occurs. :mrgreen:
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Post by celtglen »

This is a very common problem, all I did was replace the female connector on the + wire to the solinoid..use one that is housed in plastic, the connector it fits on the solenoid better and will nullify the rain drops posing a damp problem.

Mine Tercel never ran well in high humidity and rain--gulf coast of TX--so I just lived with it. Once I move north it never gave me another moist engine problem.