Frank Talk About Nuts...?

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Frank Talk About Nuts...?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

:shock:
No, not what you thought...
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013 ... /#comments
Both videos are really interesting!
While there are always two schools of thought - often as violent as which kind of oil to use - I always wire brush threads of old bolts and always use Never-Seize on them.
OT, but that stuff hangs on remarkably - still on the threads of the exhaust clamps of the system I installed on Goldie last year, through all of the rain and stuff.
Putting lube on the face of the nut contacting the washer was a new one for me, though - ever heard of it before?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Frank Talk About Nuts...?

Post by dlb »

when old nuts and bolts look really ugly and are a PITA to do and undo (like the ones on my wife's trucks transmission x-member), i use a tap and die to clean them up, then never seize them. on that particular job, i had to use the impact gun to put the first bolt back in, then decided to clean up each subsequent one with the tap and die, and those ones all went in like butter. it takes more time but it's still less time than running to the store for new stuff, plus it's cheaper, plus it's insurance that i won't have to battle so hard the next time i do the job.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I agree with you dlb. I will run a tap or die down threads before using never seize. I have had more problems with threads seizing with never seize than grease. If I want something to last to be taken apart later I use grease on the threads, after chasing the threads.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

The zinc oxide anti-seize sold for spark plugs is strictly for the steel/aluminum interface. It is not for steel/steel. For steel/steel, use a copper anti-seize or moly-lithium grease. Moly-lithium is classified as an anti-seize. Stainless steel/stainless steel requires copper anti-seize or it will seize. Plated steel should not have anti-seize on it.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

marlinh wrote:I agree with you dlb. I will run a tap or die down threads before using never seize. I have had more problems with threads seizing with never seize than grease. If I want something to last to be taken apart later I use grease on the threads, after chasing the threads.
!!!!
Never use a tap on a nut or a die on a bolt. If a fastener is damaged you should always replace it. Never trust a fastener that has damaged threads, even if you "clean them up" with a tap or die.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I wouldn't reuse a damaged bolt, but if there is corrosion on the threads I have no problem 'cleaning them up' otherwise I would have to replace every bolt on my car because of where I live.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

when I worked for the Nissan racing team we would chase every set of threads with the correct tap or die, every time the engine came apart. It cleans up any burrs or minor damage so you get a proper torque value. Nothing wrong with it, just make sure you get a clean start because if you cross thread the tap or die, you will damage the part. Clean them off good before you reuse them, you have to get any metal shavings off the parts.

also, sometimes with the nuts welded into the body, you will not have much choice but to clean up the threads this way. If there is any risk of losing the strenth, you will have to drill oversized and put the next size bolt in the hole. Or use a heli-coil or thread insert (not a good solution in my experiance but better than having a questionable installation.)
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)