charging problems

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

when i bought the car it had an internally regulated alt and it's an external car.replaced the alt and regulator and still no change.anyone have the schematic for the three wires that got to the three prongs on the back of the alt.my car is an 84.
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My 84 is externally regulated.

I cannot answer your question, rather, I can add one.
How, if possible, can I set in a single-wire (or otherwise high-powered) alternator in the Terc, once I get the problems figured out?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I have a schematic, but no way to post it...having gone thru a charging problem...I can say that the wiring is a lot different for the int vs ext regulator setups.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

all of the wagons ive seen are externally regulated, behid the battery is where you can find the regulator in some caases it can be adjusted in other it must be replaced ;)
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

replaced the regulator and the alt from napa.only charging 12.5 volts,which isn't really charging.the other one i have is internally regulated.any help is appreciated.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If they had it set up for the newer alt...maybe you should have stayed with that setup? They probably rewired it in places?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

all the wires look fine and correct.beats the hell out of me.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I spent a week or so "diagnosing" the charging system and found that the new regulator was defective....in this case the alt was charging way too much and getting hot.

clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

My first Tercel wagon was a freebie that the owner had abandoned in an airport parking lot (hourly parking for 3 months) after the car quit charging. I had the alternator tested, and replaced the regulator, but the problem remained. 15 minutes at the auto electric shop discovered a bad relay under the hood, so you might try swapping the relays around to see if it makes a difference.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

only relay i see is the main relay and i replaced it.this is all difficult without a service manual which i can't seem to find.i need to know what color wires go to the three prongs on the back of the alt.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

well,replaced some wires and now it's charging.charging around 15 volts but its better than nothing.i guess i'll adjust the regulator. Typrus,i don't see why you couldn't change to a one wire.we used to do them to old toyota trucks to bypass the charge light relay.getting one to fit without bracket mods or fabrication might be an issue.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Bentley schematic for the '84..ext reg....

* shows (4) wires...

- White

- W-Light Blue

- W-Green

- W-Black

last 3 go to the regulator...new one I bought was electronic...not too much to adjust...

apparently they also used the int reg type...cause they also show a shematic for it.....