path finder/ cherokee springs?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Swagon
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 6spd Wagon

path finder/ cherokee springs?

Post by Swagon »

So I went to the junk yard the other day and yanked out rear cherokee springs. They are about two inches shorter than the stock springs. They're definatly thicker though. I installed then with the rubber donuts to retain the height of the stock spring. I gave me a total of like 2 in lift in the rear. My question is are you guys using the front springs off the cherokees and pathfinders?

Also when I was in the woods the other day crawling around over rocks I felt a very weak point was the clutch. It seams very soft when trying to get over things. Anyone running a hd clutch or others?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: path finder/ cherokee springs?

Post by Petros »

ride height is dependant not just on length but also stiffness. those should be some pretty stiff springs. for the front some have used Camry springs, these springs are longer but also softer. I would not mis-match the stiffness that much, but the '88 and newer Celica GTS and the corolla all-trac springs are stiffer and about the right length to give you about an inch of front lift. they will fit on the Tercel strut if you swap over the top retainer. You might also consider installing the whole strut assembly, it is about the same length and travel, but 2" dia (vs. stock 1.5", 77 percent more cross sectional area). You will have to use the stock Tercel top strut mount, or an MR2 upper mount. Just watch the front CV axle angle, too much will wipe out the CV joints fast.
Swagon

Post by Swagon »

Maybe I was not clear. My question is the people that use pathfinder and cherokee spring, are you use the front or rear coils spprings front the suv on the rear of the tercel
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Swagon wrote:Maybe I was not clear.... are you use the front or rear coils spprings front the suv on the rear of the tercel
I am not even sure what you are asking, could you clarify that?. I do not recall what was done with the Cherokee springs, those that have used the rear Pathfinder springs have put them in the rear of the Tercel to raise it. And they put Camry springs in the front to raise the front. I would advise against using Camry front springs but some people like them (I think they are too tall and too soft).
Swagon

Post by Swagon »

Yea my question was which pathfinder spring went onto the rear of the tercel. What year camry for the front?. I also recall someone using rangerover coils for something? Not sure if it was for front or rear?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

it is the rear pathfinder springs that have been swapped into the rear end of tercs. can't remember the years for camry springs, i think it was '83-'86. i had the camry springs up front and they topped out whenever i hit potholes or speedbumps though so i don't recommend them. a better front lift which forum member synthdesign came up with is strut springs from a corolla all-trac and AW11 MR2 strut inserts. you can read a bit more about lifts in the FAQ. it's question #9:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
LittleRed4wd
Top Notch Member

Post by LittleRed4wd »

I assume you got the front cherokee springs? The xj's had leafs in the rear. One guy on here used those springs on the front and the rear of his T4- cutting is required since the spring tapers in at the top. The taper does make it possible to use in the front strut, though. The pathfinder springs go directly into the rear, no cutting needed at all.
Swagon

Post by Swagon »

So I got some front cherokee springs and threw them in the back theree 2 inches longer unsprung compared to the stock tercel springs plus there thicker. Has anyone raised the lower shock mount it seems logical to unweld that bracket and there's a good 2 inches it can go up which would put more use to the shock and allow for a lifted t4 to have the shock be in the middle of its stroke.
Swagon

Post by Swagon »

Here's my swagon with the rear lifted. I am going to be doing the front this week
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

swagon, if you take a look at the link i posted it mentions using the shocks from an '80 ford thunderbird or something with longer springs in the back. they are longer and accomodate the increased height. easier than unwelding/welding stuff IMO.
Swagon

Post by Swagon »

Yes but wouldn't it be ever better to have the t bird shocks with the mount moved uup. You couuld get it even hight and retain a good shock position
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i never had a problem with the t-bird shocks, nor did some of the guys who have done some pretty extreme rock crawling with them, so i don't know. i'm a big "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy though. maybe it could be better but it seems to work well as is. the front lift was always the bigger issue but synth's combo seems to work really well.
Swagon

Post by Swagon »

Anyone ever tried cherokee shocks?
Swagon

Post by Swagon »

has anyone ever extended the tension rods on the back axle. the higher i go the more forward the axle becomes, thus getting close to the front part of the fender.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Shouldn't be an issue, the AE86 guys do it all the time in the opposite direction. Techno Toy Tuning sells an adjustable 4 link kit that should bolt into the Tercel.