Radiator made with Brass vs Aluminum

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Radiator made with Brass vs Aluminum

Post by xirdneh »

i have been scouring the net and calling local parts stores looking for a NON-Aluminum radiator
so far no luck
the Koyo and Spectras (W0133-1610762 and CU813) are all aluminum now (used to be brass/copper)
the local Toyota dealer cannont get one either
the local parts stores will tell you the info says brass/copper but when you order it it comes as aluminum (i tried it)
i called at least 3 web site radiator outfits and got similiar results (their web site says brass/copper but they are not)
I called Spectra and Koyo with same result (initially saying brass/copper but when pressed they said aluminum)
when I pressed for info the result was 95% of radiators these days are made from aluminum
When I asked why my aluminum radiator went bad after 6 months one web site I called admitted that 90% of aluminum radiator failers are caused by calcium in the water and recomended using distilled water only (i wonder how factual that was)
so my question is "Does anyone out there know where i can get a brass/copper radiator?"
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Radiator made with Brass vs Aluminum

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Here is an outfit that makes and/or sells various copper/brass radiators - mostly for competition and big honker trucks. However, you might give them a call and ask their advice.
http://racewayparts.com/index.aspx
Personally, I've only used distilled water for many, many, many, (you get the idea...) years, starting with my first Morris Minor. STL is not in a particularly hard water area at all, but I just figgered it made sense. Maybe I got the idea from collitch chem labs?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

calcium from tap water will also ruin brass radiator (I had it happen), I only use distilled water in them now (much cheaper than a replacment radiator). I would not use the so-called "long life" antifreeze (red in color). it is not so long life and it will break down and corrode away aluminum radiaors. I use the traditional "green" anti-freeze.

Alumnin radiator have been around a very long time, since early 1980s in production cars at least. you have to watch out for electrolosis, but not sure I heard of other problems, they weight and cost less. We used them in race cars at least 30 years ago.

Seems you might find someone to rebuild a Tercel radiator with brass, there is a place that rebuilds radiators in Everett.

Good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Partznet Conicelli has a brass/copper one for 363.00
I figure i can buy 4 aluminum ones for the same price
so i think i will go with aluminum and use distilled water
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

HAve you concidered looking in wrecking yards maybe not a perfect match but a rad its a rad! As long as it fits in and make it hold!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
andrewrenow
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5

Post by andrewrenow »

i just bought a copper radiator brand new from autozone for $109 i believe it is mande by spectra
1984 tercel 4wd sr5
1997 subaru legacy outback awd
1992 toyota paseo (daily driver)
1993 mercedes 190e (for sale)
looking for a corolla all-trac wagon
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i've always used distilled water, or at least filtered water. not sure it's as good but i've never had any problems.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Link to AZ page of Spectra radiator that andrewrenow mentioned (it has a copper core and plastic tank): http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 4_266534_0_
The radiators are made in Quebec Province.
Regardless of sourcing, a suggestion might be to pick one up at a brick-and-mortar store, as the radiator can be examined at the store for sign of shipping damage - easier to return rather than going through the hassle of contacting, reboxing, calling UPS, etc.

While OT, Spectra also makes fuel tanks for our cars - the T4WD one from AZ is http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 200%2C4610
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

he must have got one of the last ones as i called Spectra and they said they do not make them anymore

anyway i will look into it at the local Autozone

I found a copper/brass with plastic top and bottom online for 110.00 with no tax and free shipping

it was a Ready-Rad 433813

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... t=10711125
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Rockauto also has brass Tercel radiators for a good price on their web site (with plastic head tanks), with shipping about $93. Performance Radiator in Everett still makes all metal copper radiators too. $99 with free shipping. I think both the Rockauto and Performance Rad are single row.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,2172

https://shop.performanceradiator.com/in ... t_id=11707
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

i would call before ordering just to make sure they are not aluminum
they may say copper/brass but i would not trust them
one of the RockAuto's is Spectra CU813 and that is what i ordered from a local parts store (it was alum)
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Why is a damn Al radiator so evil?? I got my $80 Spectra 813 from RA 3 years ago and it works fabulously even in 100* heat every damn day. The gauge never gets above half. I use green coolent and damn tapwater. Damn damn damn! I am the Litmus test, why won't you guys trust me?
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I think aluminum radiators are fine, they cool as good as brass and weight less. They can be prone to electrolysis corrosion if you allow the coolant to get old and corrosive, not usually an issue (do not use the red "long life" coolant in them).

You are not really the litmus test, aluminum radiators have been used on VW rabits since they came out in USA in 1976 (?).
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

I didn't imply that I am the first homo sapien to use an aluminum rad in North America. I meant that I will experience hotter conditions with my Al single row rad than just about anybody on the list (minus our Aussie friends perhaps). I can flawlessly drive all day in 100* with the a/c on. Certainly no need for the granola crowd to shun Al rads, they will meet your needs. BTW wasser-cooled VWs hit the scene in '74. Loved my '79 Scirocco!
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

hey I like granola cereal
I'm just saying something went bad after 6 months on the first alum rad i've ever put in a car
most likely had something to do with the head gasket blowing
but i do not know what
maybe oil in the rad
have blown quite a few head gaskets with copper rad
never had a problem
used same well water in all
going to use distilled water on next alum rad
i plan to put gas in the bad rad and shake it up to see if the oil comes out (if there is any in there)