convert auto trans to manual?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

convert auto trans to manual?

Post by marlinh »

Just wondering if anyone has done a conversion of an automatic to a manual transmission. Are driveshafts different length? Neutral safety switch wiring easy to transfer? Any other tips? Thanks.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: convert auto trans to manual?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Inactive member fingers did this back in '05-6 as I recall. He did a writeup on it - pretty detailed; do a Search using his name, and in either Repair Guides or Repair Questions. I think someone else did this as well, but am not sure.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

I'm gonna be on the process of doin this within a couple of weeks! Waiting for my clutch! Looks pretty straight forward, the neutral swicth is pretty easy to rig if you absolutely want it! Make sure you got all the parts of the donor car! Maybe some hole to drill to fit the pedal but dunno yet! I'll be trying to find FINGERS thread to see what I'm up to!
The driveshafts seems to be the same lenght, the diffs are the same!
Edit: just went thru the 204 post fingers wrote and found 1. Unfinished write-up "engine swap mania"! Nothing clear enough on the conversion! But with a good manual and the fsm you should manage! I will be able to answer you better in few weeks when done! Hopefully just a few weeks!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i did it several years ago
if you need info
PM me and i will send phone number
its not to bad of a job
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

MY BAD! :oops:
I thought it was fingers who did the writeup. It was actually inactive member tooldudetool - pretty good, too:
This is the link in Repair Guides - https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1443
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I guess you rig the neutral safety switch to the clutch switch. I would leave it out, I hate clutch switches...very annoying and for 80 years manual trans cars never had them, we do not need them now either.

I did it on another brand of car, usually straight forward. But there can be a lot of small detail parts that are different, so if you get the whole donor car to get parts it is much easier. There is always some linkage, piece of trim, switch or bracket you will forget to get, having the car right there is a big help in keeping the swap moving. Usually the driveshaft is a different length, and you need rear cross member and rear mount as well.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Sounds great. I do have a donor car. I just wanted some feedback from other people who have gone through it. I did a conversion once on another type of vehicle and it was nothing but trouble! I will look up the thread. Thanks.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

I've read thru the thread it's nicely done! Looks like what I've expected, straight forward, I did it on other vehicles before, so do have a good background on the subject! But always like to do some research before! That thread is all you need to know!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD 5 speed wagon

Post by eightyfive4WD »

I am about to begin the automatic-to-manual surgery on my Tercel!
Just picked up this carcass in Sierra Vista, AZ. 400+ mile round trip but well worth it.
All the parts necessary in one inclusive package. Very nervous for the operation but very glad I've got a full donor car to pick pieces from.
1985 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD 5 spd wagon (manual swapped, daily driver)
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD access cab long bed (road trip/adventure-mobile)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Take heaps of photos before you disassemble. Best of luck!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

eightyfive4WD wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:10 pm Image

I am about to begin the automatic-to-manual surgery on my Tercel!
Just picked up this carcass in Sierra Vista, AZ. 400+ mile round trip but well worth it.
All the parts necessary in one inclusive package. Very nervous for the operation but very glad I've got a full donor car to pick pieces from.
I just did an auto to manual swap on my fwd '85 hatch. Hardest part is drilling the holes for the clutch pedal assembly and the hole for the clutch cable assembly. I recommend drilling out the cable guide on the firewall and stitch welding it into your car. You'll also need to remove your brake booster as one of the clutch pedal bolts is located right behind it.

brake pedal, you can either swap it or take a sawzall to it.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member

Post by eightyfive4WD »

Mattel wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:38 pm Take heaps of photos before you disassemble. Best of luck!
I definitely will! 8) Thank you
SirFoxx wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:13 am
I just did an auto to manual swap on my fwd '85 hatch. Hardest part is drilling the holes for the clutch pedal assembly and the hole for the clutch cable assembly. I recommend drilling out the cable guide on the firewall and stitch welding it into your car. You'll also need to remove your brake booster as one of the clutch pedal bolts is located right behind it.

brake pedal, you can either swap it or take a sawzall to it.
Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to soak up all the advice from the forum right now that I can. Definitely my biggest car project so far. But I'll have help from a friend with basically a machine shop in his garage so I'm set.
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member

Post by eightyfive4WD »

It'll aaaaaalll be worth it for those 3.73 gears on the highway... :mrgreen:
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

The only hole you should have to make is for clutch cable thru firewall . The brake and clutch pedal mountholes should be there
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

xirdneh wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:40 pm The only hole you should have to make is for clutch cable thru firewall . The brake and clutch pedal mountholes should be there
just having done the conversion, the clutch pedal holes are 100% not there.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5