inner rocker panels

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

inner rocker panels

Post by marlinh »

Hi, I am new to this site and I am wondering if anyone knows how to repair inner/outer rocker panels that will pass a BC safety inspection. I don't think spray foam fits the requirements. Does anyone know for sure? Tx, Marlin.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: inner rocker panels

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list!

If you have a lot of rust it is possible it is a legitamate safety issue; I would strip all of the trim, pull back the carpet, and than sand blast or wire wheel all of the rust away, removing any metal so corroded it has no structural value, and see what you have left. If it is bad enough (more than about 15 to 20 percent of any cross section of the rockers), it should be patched with metal and welded. That should make it safe to drive.

If it is not too bad, or mostly surface rust, I would spray it with rust preventative primer (Rust-o-lium, etc) after you remove all of the loose rust. if necessary put body filler in it, sand, prime and paint it. This would stop any further degradation.

There are list members who have to do the BC inspection that might tell you more about what to expect.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

are you in vancouver? i don't know of any safety inspections, unless you got a VI from the police which would be bad. my dad got one a few years ago just because he had a few lights out on his car and he wound up with several thousand $$$ in repairs before the car was road legal again. he should have been more on top of his routine maintenance, though.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Yes, they gave me a month to get it inspected or turn in my plates
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

bummer. sorry, are you in van? if you're in victoria, there are some old school forum guys there who might be able to help you. they've done some serious rocker panel upgrades for 4x4ing.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

no, I'm in the west kootenays. Does anyone have pictures they can send and tips of how to do it myself. The problem area I am scratching my head on is the exposed frame near the rear wheel well. How thick should the metal be and how to extend and attach it to the floor (rivets?) I can include photos if anyone thinks they can help. I would be interested in hearing what these old school guys suggest. I still don't want to give up my car.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

this is the only thread i've seen covering this topic, not sure how much of a help it will be to you:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4571
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Tx, had a look at the thread but my car is farther gone than that in the rust department. Can you get in touch with any of these guys you mentioned?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Post pictures. You may have a legitimate safety issue. Anything can be fixed, but it might be cheaper and easier to find another one, with engine trouble, and swap all of your good stuff over and keep it for parts.

There was someone advertising a good Tercel4wd in BC recently, he posted it twice in the local Craig's list.

Good luck.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

have you checked the 'for sale' section of the forum? one guy, glet71, is always posting tercel ads from all over north america. i know he posted a few that aren't too far away from you.

ditto on petros' comments to post pics and maybe consider swapping all your good stuff to a new vehicle if it's really really bad.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

If you can weld think sheet metal, it is not that difficult of a job to repair. It is commonly done on the east coast of USA. If you can not weld, it would be too costly to pay someone else. there are lots of fixers that regularly come up for sale, just keep your eyes open for them and one will come up near you. May take a few weeks.

Also, if you have seen any in your area, especially if it sitting in someones back yard not running, see if the owner will sell it. On this old of a car often times they are willing to sell it to someone that will fix it rather than scrap it out.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

I'm in the south okaganan somewhat not that far! Maybe I can help, but you will have to come down here! I can talk to a friend he does inspection, maybe we can work something up at a decent price with your inspection passed! Post some pics, would be easier to give a rough quote! I've done wheel well in tje past to fit bigger wheels similar job! As long as the structural part is ok something can be done, if structure is bad it can be costly!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Does your friend do the welding or just inspections. Right now the car is not insured, my plates ran out before my deadline. I will try to post a pic.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

We can do anything! Welding included! You could always use a one day insurance to bring down, 28$! He works in a certified shop! We'll do the work outside the shop to save you $! How's everything else (tie-rods, ball joints, bushings etc... I won't be able to let a total garbage to hit the road either, if you know what I mean! Won't jeopardize my friend business!
When is your deadline? Cause after you won't be able to get any kind of insurance, you'll need to get it towed!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

I have a couple weeks left. Mechanically the car is in good shape. What would your rate be for welding? I took some pics but couldn't upload them on the site. I am still looking for a better car too.