Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Re: Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post by Lil Beast »

So just few adjustment at the collector and the dent for starter! Sweet, pretty much what I thought! Thanks for the pix! The flange fits right on the blue top, I guess the header was designed for it, and I was thinkin to make a plate to install the starter on the other side of engine underneath my carbs(dunno if doable but looks like it it is(I have to put a bit more thought into it) for heat purpose and make a heat shield for the oil filter or relocate! Everything should go better when I get my clutch to start fitting the engine in a take the right measurement! I'm finishing my 4x4 project before so I can have something to drive while I do the swap! My truck is just too much of a guzzler for daily driving!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

No dent for starter,dent for u-joint on steering shaft. stock oil filter on this engine runs right under stock fwd transverse header.finished my exhaust,conected to ex tail pipe,headed to jyard tomorrow for a heater control,wife helped blead brakes.Weather is supposta be nice tomorrow nice test rideLarry
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Awesome! So stoked for you! And honestly, I don't think I've seen another 20v in a Tercel 4WD anywhere in North or South America. Only in Australia and Tasmania. So major Props to you on the 1st American and left hand Drive TERCEL 4WD 20V swap!

And yeah, Video please!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
wikkedGTS
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel Wagon

Post by wikkedGTS »

This is not a 4WD but iI think it looks sweet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuccSbJBBYE
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

wikked, nice video -but thats a 20v silver top 10.5-1 compression at 7200 this is a 20v black top 11-1 compression 165 hp @7800 rpm using a MAP sensor not an A/F meder. sitting transverse, but still neat
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

After hearing the engine run over the phone last night I'm still in awe. Hearin that engine blip the Rev limiter is F' Awesome. It blows me away to think that you nearly tripled the stock HP for the T4WD Chassis. Soo very impressive!
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Pulled my header today to do a little more work on it to gain some more clearence around the collector and to weld on some brackets for the factory stainless heat shield over the header. my tac wasnt working -pretty sure I got that figured out bought a 18" reseniator to try to quiet the exhaust down a little Still need to put the pass side interiour back together oh well Headed to los angles with a friend to pick up an airplane Stinson 180 B should be fun.Larry :D :D :D
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Quick question has anyone played with putting discs brakes on the rear end of these cars Anyone chime in.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

might be possible to adapt the MR2 rear brakes (first gen), it has the same rotor as the stock front brakes but the caliper has the parking brake built into it. For the solid axle you would need to manufacture a mount that replaced the drum brake backer plate, it should not be too difficult since the rotor should fit right on to the axle end. you just have to get the off-set correct on your bracket.

The real serious way to go is to get the rear axle assembly out of a GTS rwd corolla, it uses the same mounting points as the T4wd rear axle (because the Tercel4wd rear axle is the one out of the rwd corolla). It already has rear disk brakes and should be a bolt in swap. Two issues however, you will need to swap out the rear ring and pinion since the GTS came with a different final drive ratio (and you can not use the TErcel ring and pinion since the GTS rear end uses a larger differential), and finding them as complete assemblies is pretty costly, about $800 used, typically. One bonus is there are three different brands of limited slip diff available to fit the GTS rear axle. So if you are ready to spend the big bucks, you can get both rear disk brakes and an LSD rear end with the axle swap out. Good luck in finding one.

one other issue is you will have to have the rear end of the Tercel drive shaft modified, to shorten it a bit (the GTS diff is larger and uses a larger drive shaft flange), and mount the larger flange on the back of the Tercel drive shaft.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

I think it'd be much cheaper to get the GTS corolla brakes and adapt them to the Tercel. A complete GTS rear end seems to be costing almost as much as a who GTS car (upwards of $1k for an LSD disc rear end). Plus the AE86 corolla uses 4x114mm bolt pattern.

If you figure it out, I know a lot of people are also curious.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

I think I'll do the ft brake up grade and see how much it improves over all braking and go from there. Been working on moving the wireing to a cooler location basicaly in ft and between battery and iner fender well pix, had to relocate o2 senser so it protruded ferther into the flame front of ex header, welded on some brackets to support factory heat shield,looking at fabing one to protect master cyl,circut breaker ,relay box Still need to mod either frame,or header for more clearence ,wish i would have had a header early on so it would havebeen a lot easier to pull engine and mod the lower control arm support strecture ,would have been a real simple fix oh well ,next time.think i fixed my tac. Need to get the header flange surface ground (welded peices on flange for 2 outer most bolt holes) still needs resinitor. Larry :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

That was one of my fear the HEAT more and more i work on it! The engine bay is quite small and the header is quite close to everything! 9 more days according to my tracking # the clutch should be here so I'm gonna start dropping the engine soon! Good work! Has I can see a challenge is awaiting me! Don't know why but when I started the project I saw everything so much easier, it's good fun anyway! Good luck!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

I was thinking about wrapping the header with, I think its fiber glass tape to keep the heat down. Although a couple of days ago at the radiator shop my buddy has a infered temp senser and ex side of engine was around 375 sitting still no radiator fan on ? when i get this up and running again I'll get one of my kids to shoot some video.
andrewrenow
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5

Post by andrewrenow »

I cant wait until this is done! I want to see that baby run!!!!
1984 tercel 4wd sr5
1997 subaru legacy outback awd
1992 toyota paseo (daily driver)
1993 mercedes 190e (for sale)
looking for a corolla all-trac wagon
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

I have this running. Just came from coffee with the guys. Need to put a flex joint in the exhaust system right after the header to get rid of the vibration in the exhaust. Got my tac wired (revs 8000 in a hart beat ) red of this engine is 7800 the acceleration is realy impressive,its hard to drive and not put your foot in it. today i'm going to work on the a/c to get it working and start to put the dash and interiour back together. Got the ex header moved and instaled a 18" resinator but while I was at it i should have instaled the flex joint,oh well the resinitator quited it down quite a bit which is what I was hoping for. This set up still needs some tweeking but realy is sweet. Have most of the pieces to doo the disc brake up grade which im looking forware to, a little better brakes on this car couldn't hurt. car hes about 70 miles on it so far. Larry :D