what vehicle does the 4ac come in?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

does it matter if it is a FWD car? thanks guys!
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I believe that the rwd version came in the AE86 corolla SR5 (84-87), and a fwd version came in the AE82 corolla (mid eighties, not sure of the exact years).

If you are transplanting into a tercel, the rwd version from the AE86 would be best. But you can use the fwd version too. You just have to swap some parts from your 3ac (everything is interchangeable). I believe that you'd want to swap things like the water inlets/outlets on the head, maybe some accessory stuff, engine mounts, things like that.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I believe the AE82 Corolla was made from 84-87. This one omes with the 4A-LC (74 hp). The same engine was also offered on the Chevy Nova, I guess for the same years. In addition, it was also offered in the AE82 Corolla FX (87-88) with a 4A-LC. Nonetheless, the AE71 Corolla has a 4A-C which I believe is equipped with 70 hp.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Retroloc1
Advanced Member

Post by Retroloc1 »

"Our" Corolla 1.6 with 4A gave 85hp, 100hp with EFi
What main differences could there be between 4A and 4AC ? Only emission stuff ?
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

There's a good write-up on here on swapping a FWD 4A-C engine
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

If you need some help/advice ask. More than a few on this forum have successfully done the swap.

If it was not for 3-acpower my swap would have been much more difficult and far less successful.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

i want to swap it for at least a 4AC.i am trying to make it as simple as possible.i'd love to go with the injected motors but i do not want the car down that long.i do no want to have to do a bunch of electrical mods at this time.i want to get my 4runner off the road as quick as possible,the miles are racking up.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

For practicality and bang for the buck, the 4A-C is the best swap. While you're at it, you should put a Weber carb on and you'll really feel the difference. You could get the Weber set up on the 4A-C before putting it in and make the job quicker.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

how about an 87 4 door corolla with an automatic? there is one in queens new york with 98k for $350
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

there is an 88 chevy nova here in ct with 142k for $850.it would be cheaper to take the train to new york i think.easpecially for the lower mileage.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I would definitely take the Corolla. If it is an LE, try and see if you can use the power windows in the Tercel for us.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

the nova here is gone.the guy said it was like new.first guy that came bought it for the asking price.the broad in queens won't return my calls so it's probably gone.i found a motor near me for $200 at a salvage yard.i can't wait.this thing will be like a new one when i'm done.i'm fixing all the little stuff like struts and shocks.i'm going to rering and replace the bearings in the 4a before i put it in.and replace all gaskets and t-belt tensioners. 3ac said something about a cam,does anyone no where to get them?
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

hornett22 wrote: 3ac said something about a cam,does anyone no where to get them?
Here is a link to the thread where Paradise Racing sells performance items for the 4A-C engine: <a href='http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?ARC ... C_ID=54239' target='_blank'>http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?ARC ... D=54239</a>. This includes a cam as well. Might want to check and see if they still sell those parts.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

another thing i just thought of,has anyone ever done a 4ac swap and have it pass emissions? especially with a weber? i could register in tennessee,i think the cops are starting to wonder why i have been here a year and still have tennessee plates on the 4runner.
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

The Weber might be an issue, but I think a properly tuned 4AC would pass emissions.

I'll add my personal experience to the 4AC availability issue. While the Nova did come with that engine, and it's the same engine as the 83-88 FWD Corolla in every aspect, build quality is not the same. While I've seen (and owned) 4AC Corollas with over 200k miles on them and no oil usage at all, Novas (and NUMMI-built Corollas) were known for puking engines at fairly low mileage (for Toyotas), sometimes well under 100k miles. Not all of them were bad, but apparently they were built with lower quality internal components than their Japanese-built counterparts.