Help needed!!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
mytercel

Help needed!!

Post by mytercel »

Hi - I've got an 87 tercel with a buggered engine. The heads gone bad and was only running on 3 cylinders. I've found a corolla 4A-F factory long-block and I'm wondering if this would be a bolt in install or a major challenge. Help needed as I'm new to all this. Opinions? Unfortunately, the other tercels I have are barely any better and the wreckers where I live are a joke. I'm a single father with no time, so I'm hiring the work done. Would this engine work? It looks like the exhaust is on the other side and the distributor is at the back causing firewall problems...
What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Help needed!!

Post by rer233 »

4af is completly different from the 3ac fitted in our cars (i assume your engine is installed longitudnally rather than transverse.) if so, a 4ac from a corolla or chev. nova is pretty much a bolt- in affair. just have to swap intakes and accessory brackets (should be plenty of threads here with particulars.) if the head's the only problem, why not just fix it?? lots less work than swapping engines! hope this helps.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Looks like the dizzy is gonna be in the way and that something you can't move around!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

This engine swap has been done before, but it requires quite a bit of work. Since it was designed for a FWD application and has a cross-flow head, you would have to reroute the radiator hoses and have to have a custom exhaust header fabricated to clear the steering column. In addition, you would have to hammer in the firewall or switch to a distributor-less setup. It will end up costing you a lot more than just finding a good remanufactured cylinder head if the engine block in your car is still in good shape. However, the perk would be that you would have about 90 HP or so with the carbureted setup.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

how has the "head gone bad"? if it's just a valve that's no biggie, and even if the head is warped you can get a good one from a wrecker and throw it on pretty easily. not a big deal, and far easier and cheaper than any engine swap.
mytercel

Post by mytercel »

Thanks for your replies and your wisdom. I have a line on another used engine that was running previously but has sat for a while. That's likely my best bet now. I was given an estimate of $1400 to rebuild the head and reassemble everything. That kinda scared me. Again, I simply don't have the time to work on a project now, so I'm stuck paying to have it done. Thanks for the advice!
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

So how do you know the head needs to be rebuilt? If so, $1400 is a bit pricey, you might want to get a few more estimates/diagnosese.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

pulling a head to replace the head gasket is relatively easy. At most I have just had to replace exhaust valves, stem seals, hand resurface the gasket face of the head and put in a new head gasket. Tpically a 4-5 hour job, and if you have everthing ready it can be done in a saturday. I have done between getting home in the evening, and getting to bed with a new headgasket in a running car before midnight. Way cheaper than replacing the engine.

Unless the engine is completely shot (thrown rod or broken pistons), it is always cheaper and easier to just fix the head. The shop estimates assumes they have to replace everything, so they are charging you retail for all new parts. My experience is that is very rare, particularly if you have a running engine now. Most likely it just needs a head gasket (about $20), and a 3 hour head gasket replacement.

See my thread in the repair guides section on "head gasket replacement: Petros method".
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mytercel

Post by mytercel »

I suspect I'd have to do all that Petros - The trouble is, I have no time. I'm either juggling my two kids (4 and 2) or else working. Plus it's not easy without a garage in central Canada in early February. I have a line a running engine for decent price. I could at least swap the head...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It is far easier and less time consuming to replace the head gasket than to swap an engine. If you have no time for swapping a head, than you certainly have no time to swap an engine. I have worked outdoors in all kinds of weather, including subfreezing (far easier in warm weather!). Perhaps you can build a tent out of heavy traps and a few 2x4 lumber, bring out extension cords and use lots of lamps (I like using heat lamps in winter for both light and warmth).

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

That diagnosis sound a lot like, "I don't wanna do that job, but if he threatens me with money..."
Most shops do not appreciate (significantly) older cars arriving for repairs, they instantly envision seized bolts and owners without money.

How much time did they spend diagnosing it?
Are you sure that is the required repair at this time?
A few years ago, I had a "3 cylinder event" while on a road trip with my then 2 yr old and no tools, middle of February.
Stopped by a reliable shop and was told the engine was toast, ended up limping back home (500km).
Was already to start pulling the head but checked the plugs first, #2 was a nobody home affair (we're talking totally melted), replaced the plugs and it ran decent.
That was over 100K ago and I still haven't opened the engine yet.

Not sure where central canada is?(depends on who you ask) but where I am (snow belt, just north of the centre of the universe) we have had a miserable winter, no freakin snow and hardly any ice, been murder on the ice fishing season but has made the driveway repairs much more tolerable, for which I am very thankful.

Being that I am also doing the single dad impersonation, I have some empathy for your plight, but spring is just around the corner.
Hang in there and do a little digging around, you may be able to squeak by until the weather improves enough to action it properly.
-Jarf
mytercel

Post by mytercel »

Hi Jarf - thanks for the reply and encouragement. I think you're right on the money with the "I don't wanna do that job, but if he threatens me with money..." That's pretty accurate. Even though the wreckers around Winnipeg are a joke, I was able to find a complete engine for a decent price. It's apparently a good runner that has been sitting for some time, so we'll see how it is...The shop was sure the head needed a full rebuild and he was also worried about the rings being broken with possible cylinder damage on one cylinder. I decided for the price, I'd roll the dice and do the swap. Wish me luck, I'll see how this goes over the next week or so.
Cheers.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

mytercel, how did this all pan out in the end?