eBay '85 Van 5-speed Redwood City CA

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

eBay '85 Van 5-speed Redwood City CA

Post by ARCHINSTL »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=
Carlos -
Right up your alley. Don't you need another Goldie to add to the collection?
Lots of pix - really looks clean and with only 85K - and a 5-speed!
The seller does not mention if the AC works - was this the one with two AC units?
Boy, if closer, I would be sore tempted - of course, I never lived with one (or obviously had to work on the engine with its bear of access).
I did not know the wheelbase was so short (88" v. our 96"!); must have been a bumpy ride. It was also only 6" longer than our guys.
My only van experience was a 13-year sentence of owning a '69 VW Bus.
Six days left and the bid is less than $1K with the reseve not met.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Re: eBay '85 Van 5-speed Redwood City CA

Post by Jarf »

Tom - It would be a good addition to your herd
Same reliability as our cars, accessibility can be a problem at times, but certainly no worse than your average NEW car.
If you lived with the VW for 13 years, then a Toyo van would be like a dream vacation, in comparison.

Yes, that van has dual air (evaporators front and rear) but it all runs off one compressor.
5spd is definitely the way to go. Having a voluminous interior is GREAT. (that one seems to be missing the 3rd seat)
Decommissioning our boat for the winter takes 5 trips in the turtle, if I take out the seats out of the van, I can do it in one!

Ride is amazingly supple considering the short wheel base, a little choppy at times maybe, but not uncomfortable.

Parts are starting to get harder to find, they made WAY more terc's then van's, but hasn't been a deal breaker as yet.

I held out for the 4WD version and it is a little harder on fuel, where the terc averages 8-9L/100K, the van averages 9-11L/100K, not horrendous but more than I am used too.
The earlier vans with smaller engine (2 vs 2.2L) and without the 4wd it may come close to the T4's mileage.
While I find it thirsty, most 4wd owners are envious, even the CUV's have trouble achieving those numbers.

Be forewarned, most women have a great deal of trouble "appreciating" the van's merits, but I suppose Terc's fall into that same category too.

Best part of all is the drive, you see EVERYTHING, there is no hood in the way, that coupled with sitting on top of the front wheels yields a panoramic view.
16ft turning radius doesn't hurt either, literally turns on a dime.
I highly recommend it as a viable 2nd to the terc.
87_4WD
My tercel:: '87 Tercel SR5 Wagon

Post by 87_4WD »

OMG... this has to be, hands down, the coolest van ever! i've seen a few come though the dealership here, and i was in awe every single time. there was a guy that rode through from Idaho in one a few years back and the 'sum bitch had 700,000 miles on it, i couldnt believe it! if money wasnt an issue i would be on a plane to Cali to pick up my new van!!!
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon (stock... for now, weber soon!!)
2002 Ford Focus ZX3
2010 Toyota Corolla S
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, I cribbed the eBay link from this Bring a Trailer site. There are, as of this writing, 112 (!) comments, many of which are highly uncomplimentary - but interesting. The number of comments surpasses those made on many more exotic cars; this car elicited some strong feelings!
http://bringatrailer.com/2012/01/29/ori ... oyota-van/
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I wouldn't mind owning one of these vans, especially a 5 speed one. Too bad I can't add anymore vehicles to my existing fleet. I wonder how much it's going to sell for. I guess Goldie is going to be lonely for awhile longer :?.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The winning bid was - $5000 !
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain