Transmission Drain & Fill Plug Tools

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Transmission Drain & Fill Plug Tools

Post by ARCHINSTL »

These are two (of the 3) tools I modified a bit to fit the shallow and soft filler and drain plugs better, as the tools with chamfers just do not fit completely.
All plugs, save one, are 24mm size. The rear drain plug is 19mm (I did not have to grind a new 19mm socket, as I have a perfect one left from the bike shop).
I just used an inexpensive socket and box end. Note that the socket is a 6-pointer; important, I think. I could find no cheap 6-point box ends (I've never even seen one of these, though)
Many of these plugs have been mangled over the years by inattentive techs.
I would really urge all to grind away the chamfer - peace of mind, and the tool is not ruined.

And, of course - REMOVE THE FILLER PLUGS FIRST ! ! !
Tom M.
Attachments
Trans Drain-Fill Plug Tools.jpg
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: Transmission Drain & Fill Plug Tools

Post by 4wdchico »

Good idea. I do that also. Since the box end wrenches come usually in 12 point I prefer to buy a 15/16" and grind that. A 15/16" wrench is roughly 0.008" smaller than a 24mm wrench and fits better.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Good "point," 4wdchico!
Wish I'd thought of that, as I have one of those really-cheapie 15/16" box ends inherited from my Dad (bless his heart) that he so loved. He would think Harbor Freight was WAY overpriced... and bragged on what he'd scored from the "Any tool on this table only $1.95" kiosk in the local hardware store.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I go through the boxes of mismatched tools at pawn shops and 2nd hand tools, and pic out the proto, snap-on, craftsman, SK etc to make up my sets for .25 each. Sometimes I would find a nice handle or torque wrench at a garage sale for a good price, but I stopped buying new tools many years ago unless I am stuck and need to get it now.

I did buy a 24 mm socket (used) specifically for this drain plug, and I have been meaning to grind it off as shown but so far it has served me well on breaking the filler plug free on 6 or 7 different TErcel4wd.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

$1.95, 25 cents, times have changed.

I'm overjoyed when a tool(s) is under $100!
mikey
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 85 4WD

Post by mikey »

I must be one lucky SOB, as all of the drains/fillers I have found came loose with the sockets I have, and not one bloody knuckle yet!

Thanks...