Toyota Trucks

Post here about...well...anything!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I have a teacher at my school who had a 1990 Toyota Pickup 2WD Regular Cab with the 22R-E engine and claims to have averaged 30-40 MPG, depending on conditions. If he would coast on the mountains (not recommended) he got 40 MPG and maybe 35 MPG combined city and highway. What do you guys know about this?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've always been interesting in the 22-R Toy pickups and remember asking about mileage...usually they mention 22 MPG...though these were mostly the 4WDs.

With highway type truck tires and 2WD...sounds feasible.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

I've spent considerable time wrenching on 22r vehicles: an 81 celica, 85 2wd normal cab pickup (exteriour bed rails!) did I get the year wrong?, also two 4runners, both 86 I think, one was turbo?

The engine is pretty well designed, apparantly ORIGINALLY designed for forklift applications, it is good with the torque. The pickup was pretty zippy, but the 4runners were DOGS, and the one with the turbo: a complete waste of time, and the mileage was terrible (i thought anyway) like 18 highway at best...but that was a vehicle that SHOULD have had a larger engine.

The 81 celica got 33mpg on interstate, all the time, but that thing probably looked like a Ferarri in the windtunnel
Oh wasn't that a 2.4 litre engine? way bigger than it had to be for the 81 Celica, that is for sure, although they probably wanted something more powerful in their "sportscar" of the day, did they even have a supra back then? I believe it later became the "Celica Supra" and then later they made two seperate cars.

But I would say that a 2wd pickup would get excellent mileage with the 22r, as long as it wasn't a lifted 4wd with monster tires, winch, offroad lights, roofracks, etc.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Yeah, he had a 2wd truck with the standard equipment and stock tires and ride height.

Takza: Weren't you interested in buying a p/up truck with the 22R engine before you bought the Tercel? I might want an 83-86.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Adelard of Bath wrote: I've spent considerable time wrenching on 22r vehicles: an 81 celica, 85 2wd normal cab pickup (exteriour bed rails!) did I get the year wrong?, also two 4runners, both 86 I think, one was turbo?

The engine is pretty well designed, apparantly ORIGINALLY designed for forklift applications, it is good with the torque. The pickup was pretty zippy, but the 4runners were DOGS, and the one with the turbo: a complete waste of time, and the mileage was terrible (i thought anyway) like 18 highway at best...but that was a vehicle that SHOULD have had a larger engine.

The 81 celica got 33mpg on interstate, all the time, but that thing probably looked like a Ferarri in the windtunnel
Oh wasn't that a 2.4 litre engine? way bigger than it had to be for the 81 Celica, that is for sure, although they probably wanted something more powerful in their "sportscar" of the day, did they even have a supra back then? I believe it later became the "Celica Supra" and then later they made two seperate cars.

But I would say that a 2wd pickup would get excellent mileage with the 22r, as long as it wasn't a lifted 4wd with monster tires, winch, offroad lights, roofracks, etc.
Hmm... good to know that the 22R was originally designed for forlifts. I drove an 85 4WD p/up but I drove it like a grandma off-road. Too afraid to "step-on-it." That truck had 464k before my uncle sold it. :angry: I believe that the earlier trucks had a 20R and 18R.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

tercel4wdrules wrote: Yeah, he had a 2wd truck with the standard equipment and stock tires and ride height.

Takza: Weren't you interested in buying a p/up truck with the 22R engine before you bought the Tercel? I might want an 83-86.
My "ideal" camping vehicle would be a 4 cyl Nissan or Toyota 4WD pickup with a carefully designed and lightweight streamlined camper built on the back....I'd skin it in plywood for going thru the brush...& keep the center of gravity as low as possible...good for getting back into the good places and up into the passes.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

i have a 1988 runner with 33 inch BFG mud terrains.the motor is "built" and i get about 22 mpg.the 22r is a great motor.easy to work on and extreme amount of aftermarket parts.
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

Yes that certainly is true about the easy to work on part, and the availability of aftermarket parts...and they used that engine for what, ten years? Every junkyard is going to have a few for sure...actually last time I was at my pick-n-pull there was a 78 pickup or something with the 20r, that thing was nifty
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I have seen a 20R before, but not a 18R though. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for the 22R. I might want to get an old Toyota Truck in addition to the Tercel.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

i get good power from the 22re.there is an 18r as well as a 21r.the 18 and 20 have a dual row timing chain as well as metal chain guides. the 22R,RE,REC,RET all have a single row and plastic guides.they are prone to stretching,broken guides,and wearing a hole in the timing chain cover.where they wear a hole is a water passageway and can allow oil to mix with coolant.this has been misdiagnosed as a blown headgasket more than once.other than these small flaws,i think it is the best motor ever made.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I want one, that's for sure. I was also able to diagnose a transmission problem a Honda he used to have. Replaced it with a much better car.
T Pie

Post by T Pie »

My daily driver is an '88 standard cab with a 22-r. Mixed driving, moderatly loaded (300-400 lbs.) averages 27 MPG no matter what I change. Pretty rolling around here (Atlanta), and milage is much better than my old S-10.
'84 and newer 22-r/re's have a single roller timing chain. Service interval is 70k. L C Engineering has a kit to install a double roller chain. Kit is about the same as going back stock. Friends who had the older 18, 20, & 22r's never changed timing chains, so this seems like a good upgrade.
http://www.lcengineering.com
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

i don't recommend lc engineering. for one they are too exoensive. try http://www.engnbldr.com great people and great prices.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Toyota Trucks owned by family (all 4x4) 83, 85, 86, and 87.
4Runners owned by family (all 4x4) 85, 86, 88, 94, 99, 2001, 2002, 2004
Thats including my uncles 4Runner and Toy Truck collection. The older Run's get an average of 24 mpg, the trucks an average of 27. We have a neighbor with a 87 Toy Truck that he is reporting 34mpg out of. It is 4x4, but he has basically turned it into the faiberglass-wonder.
They are very reliable, fun, and are very capable offroad. Not to mention the mounds of aftermarket available for the Runners. The 86 Runner has a 12 inch lift, is running some massive tires, and has some Toyota V-8 dropped in. Its a blast to watch it climb the boulders.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
T Pie

Post by T Pie »

http://www.engnbldr.com does have good prices. I usually buy from my local independant, and haven't shopped the net much for parts. Still, haveing done the timing chain twice, I would opt for the double chain/ steel guide set from LC. The earlier chain set won't fit due to changes in deck height and head thickness.