YUGO!

Post here about...well...anything!
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

YUGO!

Post by CathodeRayTube »

1990 , Purchased this week for $1500. Garage kept its entire life and only has 26K miles on it. But sat in garage for past 7 years without being started...so needs a new fuel pump. but will run and is in great condition. Also, found a local man who hoarded parts back in the day and he has NEW AC units/parts that i can add in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: YUGO!

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Frankly - after you get it running well - I'd try eBay. I think you might be amazed...
I'd bet it would rate a mention on the Bring-a-Trailer and maybe even the Jalopnik sites, which would bring further attention to the ad. Forget Craigslist, too - this is really an unusual survivor.
It's GOTTA be the most pristine Yugo in North America - and probably even the world. Somewhere, there has to be someone who has treasured memories of his long-ago Yugo (I typed that only slightly tongue-in-cheek...).
I can't imagine a starting price for it, though.
You actually have the most desirable model of all Yugos - which is possibly an oxymoron...(sorry - could not resist - :wink: )
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Yu will like the photos:

http://magliery.com/Graphics/YugoArt/

Yu go, girl!
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Iv seen the art before. it is creative an neat...but also rather sad and wasteful i think. Im planning to just fix it and the green tercel next to it up and have them both as my main daily drivers...and the long term plan for the yugo is to be my first electric conversion project. so if the gasoline engine dies prematurely its just the beginning of its next phase.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

That's a COLLECTABLE? It would be a crime to drive it? It should sit in a rich man's garage. Call Leno.... 8)

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/ebay ... go-cabrio/

http://www.squidoo.com/everybody-needs-a-yugo-sometime
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

man, i think it's hilarious how everyone rips on this vehicle but i really wonder if it's worthy of it. could they really be that bad? i almost hate to ask, i feel like i'm encouraging you guys... but hberdan,
hberdan wrote:Yu will like the photos:

http://magliery.com/Graphics/YugoArt/

Yu go, girl!
that is the new funniest quote on this forum. top notch!

CRT, i honestly think petros has a great idea of just fixing the fuel pump and then putting it on ebay. if a tercel got that much, you could probably get more for such a rare vehicle. it may not have such a large audience of interested bidders but they are probably just as or more fanatical than we are. honestly though, it just looks like a rabbit or a dodge omni/plymouth horizon with a hood scoop. the grill looks kinda european...it just does nothing for me. but hey, if you love it, keep it and treat it well!
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

I definitely think im going to keep it. alltho i havent actually driven it yet...if i do and i dont like the handling etc then i may sell it. If anybodys interested , both the Yugo and the dodge omni are heavily featured in the movie "Drowning Mona"...

I also think YU GO GRL or YU GO BOI might be on the table for custom plates...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
ohcanada_00
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 DLX 4WD

Post by ohcanada_00 »

ha! awesome. I've always wanted a Yugo just to say i had one. Great find
"Any car which holds together for an entire race is entirely too heavy" -Colin Chapman

84' DLX with 6 speed (the project beast) 'Tora'
84' SR5 'Tori' (the daily driver)
08' Scion xB
04' Kawasaki Z1000
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Ok so far iv been finding little things here and there...and im beginning to question weather or not iv gotten my moneys worth with it. So far iv figured out it needs a fuel pump (came today & halfway installed), needs an alignment & possibly new tires (dry rot), fuel gauge doesnt work...when i removed the fuel pump i realised the inside of the fuel tank looked like part of the titanic...so i dropped the tank & cleaned it as best i could wich consumed most of today...had to remove exhaust system to get tank out, wich was easy, but looks like i need a muffler too now cause i smacked the old one and it caved in and was totally rusted...my intention was to paint the exhaust with high-heat paint anyway, thus why i removed the entire thing...i also took the fuel sending unit apart and tested it to verify that wasnt the cause of the gauge not working...

But...the car still only has 26k on it and no rust whatsoever & the paint/interior is almost immaculate...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

did it ever occur to you there might be a reason a car this old only has 26k on it?

Back when they started importing these cars I always thought they looked fun to drive; it looks light and nimble like a Rabbit, but costs a lot less. Than the stories of all kinds of problems started coming in. Too bad. I would rather have something reliable, than just fun to drive. that is why I have never owned a Rabbit either.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Im still pretty sure the issues its having are mostly from sitting so long without being used...7 years is pretty long. I believe im going to go to a junkyard for a muffler that will fit, i think il even go for one thats got dual outputs so i can make a cheap dual-exhaust setup...junkyard tires should be sufficient too. Id also like to get some 80s MR2 rims, or even the tercels SR5 rims would probably fit nicely.

Also keep in mind my main goal in getting this car was to convert it to electric...so anything gas engine related only needs to be operable for maybe 3-5 more years or however long it takes me to get around to ripping it all out and installing the electric motor, batteries and other EV components.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Be careful driving across a bridge in a high wind...
http://gasbuddy.com/Forum_MSG.aspx?mast ... no=9&FAV=N
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Yugos were selling for $3K when Tercel SR5 4x4's were $8500. Yugos were never known for reliability or longivity.
I once had the misfortune to be a passenger in the back seat (!) of a Yugo, from Boulder to Buena Vista and back, with a 14'er climb (run, actually) at the BV end. Sitting in that back seat, my knees were up under my chin, and I'm not very tall. This would've been in about 1990, in a relatively new yugo, and it was a loud and rattly ride...we did, however, enjoy some excellent Mexican food after the 14er, when we got to Leadville.
However, after running up and back down some 5k vertical feet, each way, and then sitting in that car, I more or less had to be pried out of the back seat as my legs were cramping up, being unable to stretch out while we traveled.
A couple of stiff margaritas took care of that issue.
And, I admit, that Yugo did indeed get us back t oBoulder in one piece, but the owner got rid of it a few months later, after the engine blew up.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Updates. The Yugo is now legal & running perfectly, and im going to call about getting the AC components for it tomorrow. Today I also ordered all of the paint supplies to repaint the automatic T4 SILVER. The DIESEL T4WD project is still held up due to communication errors with the idiots in japan...but the engine will get here eventually im, just not sure when now...this is why im carrying on with the other car projects while i wait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
solarlord
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 4wd Swiss model