Justy sighting!

Post here about...well...anything!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

Driving around today, I saw this old granny driving a PRISTINE condition tiny tiny tiny car with the Subaru logo on the front, which I ASSUME is a Justy that others have mentioned from the early 80s. Looked like a new car....unheard of in Minnesota...in the winter no less.

Speaking of which, my mom has in HER garage a 1983 Camry (the first year) with 25k on the clock....not 125, but 25. It has that "new car smell" the REAL new car smell!
Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

Some of those Justy's had a funky ECVT or something like that. It was Electronically controlled variable transmission... No gears just varying somehow... From what I've heard, not a great tranny, 5 speeds were OK...

Guy
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

We have lots of those little cars here with mint bodies. They sell pretty cheap too. If you are interested in buying one, this would be the place (Victoria BC Canada - Just north of Seattle)
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Well I have never really seen one in person, but I tell ya, they are so cute! they are smaller than the Tercel, which is hilarious to think about, but I think I might like to play around with something like that...I did some research briefly and it looks like they still made them in 93? anyway for a 4wd one (4door) it said 28/32 mpg city/hwy, with a 1.2 liter 3-cyl engine, nine valves, multiport fuel injection yay! the 2wd ones still had carb apparantly.

All it says is "five speed manual with overdrive" so I don't know if it has any kind of "low range" or "extra low gear"? Cuz I won't buy anything without that, need that for my offroading heh heh

I could always go TOTALLY crazy and drive over to the Seattle/Vancouver area with a tow-dolly and bring one back...but then I'm looking at tremenous gas expenditures to drive my Nissan Pathfinder doh!

That makes me think - surely, they are in the Seattle area if they are in the BC area, but anybody know how much trouble it is to bring a car INTO the US? Mmmm sounds like something I don't need to deal with actually.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Here is an example of one at a dealer in Vancouver:

<a href='http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=35129574' target='_blank'>http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=35129574</a>

The ones that sell privately generally go for about 1/2 to a 1/3 of this price (and remember, this is in CAD dollars - $1USD = $0.80CAD). I think the autos have ECVT.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

I wan eet! that seems like a not unreasonable price for something that is in good shape...hm. But, do they have a low gear? Maybe I could get along without it...

I should be the first guy to have a Tercel, Civic, and Justy, all 4wd, side by side, that would be cool. Oh and that Mazda 323 I'll take one of those, and one of those nissans we were talking about.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

i have some friends from new york.their son had one of these.he was in an accident and it was totalled.his mother met the insurance adjuster at the wrecking yard.the guy saw the car and said "i'm sorry about your son" she said,"what do you mean?" he said "your son died in the accident didn't he?" she replied,"no,he's just fine,not a scratch." he couldn't believe it from the condition of the car.they bought him another one.
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

There is a great looking Justy in the junkyard near me. The body is almost spot less but no transmission. They would probably sell it for cheap.
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

I looked at 3 of them in about a 6 month period, all with the ECVT transmission, all with fewer than 40k miles, and all dead. They were cool cars, and the transmissions worked well when new, although they did feel very strange. Unfortunately, when the transmissions died, nobody knew how to fix them.

BTW, a number of automakers are again trying the ECVT transmission. I drove a couple of Saturn Vues a couple of years ago when my brother was a sales manager. The transmissions always felt like they were slipping.

Here's a link to a cheap beater 4x4 Justy in Oregon... <a href='http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_i ... rdist=1737' target='_blank'>AutoTrader link</a>