Proud T4WD owner from Norway

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Erlandsen
My tercel:: 86" Tercel 4WD

Proud T4WD owner from Norway

Post by Erlandsen »

Good evening common Tercel fans! :)

I`am a new member all the way from north of Norway. I own a 1986 Toyota Tercel 4WD DX with the name Jack Black. I bought this car back in November for 4 500,- norwegian crowns, around 750$.
I have been driving it a few months now and i love it, especially on the snow. When i`m sitting in it, it feels like home, with the green neon lights on, the christmas three on the dashboard, the smell of the wonderbaum and Creedence Clearwater/ Steppenwolf as high as possible (Thats not that loud, cause all of the speakers are getting major problems at volum 20) But thats okey cause i like listening to the loud engine sound.

At this moment i`m not driving it, because of some insurance problems, and because the heater aren`t working, so i need to order a used heater engine. It worked fine driving a few weeks without the heater, i was just driving with the windows down to get rid of the dew, and i had much clothes on but now we got around -15 c` degrees, and i would love to get the heater back on track again.

Anyways, thats just a small problem compared to the rest. One problem is that i got an oil leak from the engine, so each time i stop, turn right or left it smells like hell in the car. And to be honest, it was way worse when the heater was working. Heat/ Smell of Oil / Strawberry wonderbaum = Not good!

If the car aren`t making it true the winter, im for sure buying a new one, its many T4WD in Norway. Also a few in my city (Mine is the worst unfortunately). And if he makes it, im gooing to do what needs to be done. Remove the rust/ paint it/ etc.

Here are some pictures of Jack

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Proud T4WD owner from Norway

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club! I believe you are the first Norske member - odd that no one from there has found us before.
Where is your location? My Dad spent a couple of weeks there in 1959 on an exchange program.
You guys got the inclinometer long after it was discontinued in North America. Love that Euro front bumper!
Now, that's an oil leak - if it's more concentrated at the right rear of the motor - have you checked the fuel pump for a faulty gasket? While it is cold there - it might be prudent to power wash that side and look after a few days.
I see there is a dash surround switch below the rear window defroster switch - what is its purpose?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

ARCHINSTL wrote:I see there is a dash surround switch below the rear window defroster switch - what is its purpose?
tom, you beat me to it. i'm dying to know what that option was.

prost, erlandsen! there is lots of information here on the tercel, as well as much experience from all the members doing various repairs or modifications to it. i'm sure you'll find it very useful.

i've been reading about svalbard recently, have you ever been there? i'd love to go one day. and i love a few norwegian bands: mayhem, enslaved, emperor...
ohcanada_00
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 DLX 4WD

Post by ohcanada_00 »

welcome!

i love the euro grill...! Glad to see enthusiasts from around the world checking in!
"Any car which holds together for an entire race is entirely too heavy" -Colin Chapman

84' DLX with 6 speed (the project beast) 'Tora'
84' SR5 'Tori' (the daily driver)
08' Scion xB
04' Kawasaki Z1000
Erlandsen

Post by Erlandsen »

Thanks guys!

ARCHINSTL: Hi. As i could see from the member list, you have one more norwegian member. But i have to say, it was kinda hard finding this forum, but im bloody glad i found it! My location is Harstad, a small city on the coast with around 25 000 people. You mention the inclinometer which is one of my favorite pices in the car, I absolutely love it. But when it comes to the Euro front bumper, im more into the bumpers you got on the American editions:p And thanks for the tips with the oil leak, i`am gooing to check it out, hopefully you are right.

I can also see that you guys are wondering what purpose that button got. I hope this picture from one of my instruction books can help :)

davidlucasbarnes: Hi there, i have found so much great information at this forum, and i`m sure its gooing to help me out alot with all sort of things! 8)

Unfortunately i have never been on Svalbard, but my sister has. She was working there a few months and she loved it. If you like tobacco thats the place to go, it is so cheap. You can also drive snow mobile whenever you want, and whereever you want, and thats something you can`t do in the rest of Norway :/ And when it comes to the norwegian bands, i only listen to American music, mainly from the 60`s, 70`s and 80`s .Only Norwegian one would be this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULirzwD_JQo :P
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i was wondering what that extra light on the hatch was for! so awesome, i could have used that several weeks ago when i backed into my buddy at night.

that norwegian hip hop was crazy. i've also heard finnish hip hop with lots of hungarian instrumentation and melodies, very neat. these guys are my fave norwegian export, they're cerebral yet vicious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC0WZvEZ ... 0E779CBA5E
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the list!

Sounds like a great deal for the car. I love those slim Euro front bumpers, I want a set -I will trade you for a set of our big ones!

Rear fog lights? What rear fog light, the red one on the left side of the license plate frame?

Looks like you also have a different seat pattern than ours, or is that a seat cover?

I had the gasket around the fuel pump leak, it leaks like crazy. Easy fix, I made a new gasket out of a cardboard box with lots of sealant.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Ahh, so! on the rear fog light!
It seems like there was some discussion here a while back on this, but connected with SAABs, I believe.
Apparently that's a required item in a number of European countries.

Wow - you ARE North in Norway! 250 K (155miles) North of the Arctic Circle! Although - according to Wikipedia's article, it doesn't get very cold up there! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harstad
Dad spent his time in your tropics - Stavanger and Oslo.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I also noticed your steering wheel hub is different than the north American version. On the engine you do not have the temp sensor on the water outlet (that goes next to the TVSV) that gives a temp signal to the emissions computer, and it appears you do not used our distributor that has the built in coil.

I does look like you use the single carb, similar to ours (but with less vacuum tubes it looks like). Do you your factory engine hp rating for your engine? It should be in the owner's manual.

And is that a trailer hitch sticking out of your back bumper?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

petros, you're right that that is a trailer hitch. a lot of the european cars seem to have them, and they look strangely...well, penile, actually. i don't like them.

my steering wheel is different than any others that i've seen, including this one. i'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.
Erlandsen

Post by Erlandsen »

Havent had enough time to answer before now, but ill do my best with google translate :D

davidlucasbarnes: Haha, hope your buddy are okey then. A few weeks ago i backed into my fathers Mercedes, the whole door are a wreck and they can`t use the passenger seat :s And i had the light, i just never use it, cause its unlegeal in Norway if its not alot of fog/ snow.

Petros: Thank you very much. And yes the fog light is the red one on the left side. And i do not got any seat covers, its the original seat pattern. As i can see, you can get Tercels in tons of different ways, and i like that! The engine is a model 3A with 1452 cc.

And yes that is a trailer hitch:o I would never buy a car without one. Its as normal as ketchup on hot dog in Norway, We use trailers alot, and its also pretty usual to go on vecation with caravans.

Im sorry if i havent answered on every question. Im not an expert in english :P
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

You do OK on English.
Maybe not so OK on a condiment for hot dogs... :shock:
:)
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Erlandsen

Post by Erlandsen »

Are you saying it`s not usual to use ketshup on hot dog where you come from? :shock: Thats just sick! :mrgreen:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

We use ketchup on our hot dogs on the Left Coast, from California to Washington. Tom is from the midwest, they sometimes do things very differently. Tom, you eat hush puppies in St. L?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mustard - YES! :D
Pickle relish - YES! :D
Ketchup - I reiterate: . :shock:

I am aware of hush puppies - ain't they the things you put on your feet?
Actually, though, I thought "hush puppies" was a verb phrase used by dog breeders...
Bada-Boom!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain