SR5 vs. regular...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

How does the regular Tercel 4WD wagon compare to the SR5 wagon? Other than aluminum rims, i'm not to sure what else is different?
peace
-mark
PS
Looking forward to this site! Great forum!
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

In a few words - tachometer, seats, door panels, side mouldings, rear license plate cover, optional 2-tone paint.
unclejemima

Post by unclejemima »

great thank you so much!
-mark
lesabre400
Advanced Member

Post by lesabre400 »

Actually, my SR5 didn't even come with aluminum rims or power steering, for that matter. It didn't even come with AC. However, it does have 2-tone paint and the tach. I also have sway bars front and rear - did the non-SR5 wagons have that? It's a shame SR5 doesn't mean much more than seats and door panels - in an ideal world, it should mean stuff like an upgraded transfer case, limited slip axle, taller suspension, more power, stuff like that. Oh well.
I almost look forward to winter now...
Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

I've read on other threads that some Terk's came with a power sunroof... SR5 option I take it... Cuz my SR5 does not have it, I wish it did!!!

Guy
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Nah, sunroofs, alloy wheels, ac, ps, were options even on the SR5. Alloy wheels were an option just on the SR5. In earlier Toyotas, the SR5 model would have a 5 speed in place of the usual 4 speed, as was the case on the 80-82 Tercel hatches, but eventually they bastardized the name altogether when SR5's started coming with the crap-o-matic. If you're buying a Tercel, look at the body condition first, then mechanical, then whatever features it may have last. Even if it's automatic, you can swap the tranny alot easier than fixing a bunch of rust spots and repainting. The one essential item from the SR5 is the instrument panel with the tachometer - this will run you about $30 at the average junkyard, and you can get it shipped for pretty cheap if there's not one near you. I would always want the sr5 side trim as well, it just looks so much better. The rear license plate cover is actually alot worse than the the standard ones at least on the newer 2WD and 4WD non-sr5 wagons, it discolours with age and lacks a good handle for opening the gate. I'm getting one of the good kinds from the local yard and putting the SR5 emblem on it.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

Well at least my beggin-for-the-junkyard 1984 has powersteering and a/c! now I feel pretty good about myself :) hee hee

I will sell anyone the sr5 moulding trim if they want it, I think I am missing a piece though
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

You can dance if you want to, you can leave your fears behind...
have P/S and A/C.. YAY.. I likemme some tacho... Keeps me from going much over 6000 RPM's (I just know one of these days I'll see a piston or whole head fly thru the hood)
I'd think a sunroof would just offer more rust opportunity?
Ideallically, they'dve thrown that German ground effects kit on the SR5.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew