odd question...maybe transmission

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
baker2121
My tercel:: 85 4WD AT

odd question...maybe transmission

Post by baker2121 »

Hi,

My wife and I just bought an 85 4WD Wagon w/ an automatic transmission. The car is in amazing condition w/ only 210,00 miles on it. Not a spec of rust and the engine is great. Here's the problem. After you drive the car for 20-30 min and you accelerate (especially on a hill) the RPMs go up, but it doesn't seem to grab a gear or accelerate. Any ideas what the problem may be?

The guy we bought it from claimed to have worked for Toyota for 20+ years and this was his baby. Of course we didn't test drive it for 20+ minutes. When I contacted him he said he would be happy to rebuild it for us if needed. Of course he moved and has since canceled his cell phone. My wife and I just got married and are both college students. Not a sob story just don't have much $$ and am appalled that someone would lie to us like that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If it sounds like we need a new tranny I guess we'll be selling it. On a side note it drives around town fine. Granted we never go over 35-40 MPH. Don't know if that means anything.

Thanks so much!

Chris
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: odd question...maybe transmission

Post by Petros »

welcome to the list!

check the trans fluid, it acts like that when it get low, make sure you top it up with the correct AFT type. One other thing can make it act like that is sticky valve body from sludge build-up. Change the ATF if it is not new, and add a valve body cleaner additive to it (availible at auto parts stores, should be less than $10, ask the clerk which one works best).

These trans hold up pretty well from what i gather, and it might just need the sludge and glaze cleaned off with the additive. My daughter has an '86 CRX that I rebuilt for her, it has an auto trans in it with over 200k miles on it. It was failing to shift into high gear. I added the cleaner additive and the problem was solved. She is still driving it daily 2 years later.

Where are you at? If not too far there is a local self service wrecking yard here in Arlington WA with a Tercel4wd auto trans, it only has about 80k miles on it. Bring your own tools and pull it yourself and the trans will be cheap, well worth getting if you are not too far away. Try the additive first.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
baker2121

Post by baker2121 »

Thanks so much for the help!! I must admit I don't know much about mechanics...though I am learning. Might have to take it Jiffy Lube to due the ATF and I'll pick up an additive on the way. We live up in Couer d'Alene, ID, but if we do end up needing a transmission we might have to make a trip out there. Do you know how much they would charge to remove it? We found some locally who would install one for around $500. Don't know if that's a good price or not.

Thanks again for you help it is very much appreciated!!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

they do not remove it, but I will be happy to do for you for, for a small fee. let me know if you need it so I can get it out before the car goes to the crusher.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
baker2121

Post by baker2121 »

Thanks so much for the generous offer. How much would it cost (your cost/part cost) to do that? I'll talk to my wife once we get an idea on price, but I think that would be a great option for us.

Again, thank you for your kindness.
blade
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: No tercel. (stolen)

Post by blade »

cool i was at Couer d'Alene, ID oh like in the last week of aug. and if you need help we are all here to help in some way.