Parting out my 84

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

If you want to read my story about my 84 that I have finally given up on, you may do so in the "repair" section although you may have already heh, I thought, I could always sell a couple of the parts to help with the pain of buying a $500 car and spending $50 in parts, and having it only three months...I bet I put 200 miles on it or something.

Oh man and just yesterday I bought a $5 rear wiper for it! and a can of seafoam, and some spray...oh well I can use that stuff on other cars! not the wiper though...hmm well whatever

Luckily I already have some pics of it online, lemme find them:

<a href='http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.ecunnin/1984tercel.html' target='_blank'>http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.ecunnin/1984tercel.html</a>

Some interiour pics....there is also a link to what the underbody looks like if somebody wants a laugh, one guy I know said "it looks like those pics of when they went down to the Titanic, I keep expecting to see a sea monster crawl out of there"
hehehhe

Somebody once was looking for the wacky tilt gauge, I never did find that useful, cuz what are you doing to do, stop and go "yep i'm at 15 degrees"?

Somebody once was looking for that rear cargo cover thing

Somebody wants the SR5 trim on the side doors? That stuff just CAUSES rust but hey. Its not all there though

Those crazy hubcaps? I only have three

antenna? hee hee the antenna is still good!
The seats are good but shipping? damn, and i'm sure everyone's seats are just fine

That's an Alpine cd in the dash, i'm gonna pull that before I bring it to the junkyard, unless somebody wants to buy it, I have no real interest in it so it would be fairly cheap

I figure the engine is the same as what everyone else has, and everyone wants to upgrade their engines, so it is of little value, also something is terribly wrong, although I maintain that it is the carburetor that is bad. But if for some reason you are like "OOOH OOH you know what I need" but surely it could be found locally? heh

I don't know what the local junkyards will give me....possibly nothing...but I do know that in the past, they have given people more if they drive in than if they are towed in, so for that reason I am hesitant to start pulling parts that will render the car inoperable. Unless of course I could make more selling them here than I could at the junkyard heh heh heh
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Too bad that rust has taken it's toll on the car....the interior looks great from the pics. Did that speedometer read 133 K ? or is my eyesight just getting really bad ?? There are two Terc wagons at the junkyard I frequent....both are relatively rust free. It's a shame the cars can't mate.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I hear that.. We have 3, 2 dead and if they could make little 95 babies.. Hehe...
The dead one I havent posted was originally that red color. But when I was 4 I sprayed paint remover all over it so we got it repainted a different shade. Cost $1400 :o I think very seriously you should look for another Terc. Maybe go check out the ones by Moots?

KITTY! lol.. I love da kitties...

Well, I just hope you find it to be some simple thing before you dump it. We'll see.

DEAR...... SWEET......... JESUS!!!! WHO PUT THAT THING IN A SALT SOLUTION AND LET IT BATHE? My lord thats aweful.... Man... I thought you were just overstating things.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
DaveG1
Advanced Member

Post by DaveG1 »

I would have bought it but I am allergic to cats. I think some PB blaster might be in order.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

I'll just PB-Blast the whole bottom and watch it melt away!!! hehehhehehhe

Yes 133k. Although it possibly might have just turned to 134, I'm not sure

You wanna buy the car? that is my mom's cat and he was only in there for like five minutes when I first bought it back in October, then he got bored and left.

Typrus: all this time, you thought I was making it up, huh? well! if you could actually see it up close, you might find that I was UNDERstating things a bit...there really is very little metal left! The rear hatch is almost all bondo I found out...the doors have lots slathered on there....the front arches and the rocker panels are 100% yellow triple expanding foam with bondo over it! gotta love it

Yeah who knows, if I go over there tomorrow and look at the fuel filter and it is clogged and I put a new one on there and it works...maybe I will keep it although really it is pointless, as you can see

If someone comes here with a trailer and takes it away from me, 100 bucks its yours. course you gotta drive to minnesota from where ever you are...

Where are you moots and these alleged rustfree tercels?
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I didn't think you were making it up, just that you had overstated. I dunno if I've ever seen rust that bad on a car with that very few of miles.. Did it at one point run a road-salting operation? lol. j/k... Though it looks like someone attached negative electrodes to it and dunked it into a vat of saline with a positive flow thru the vat and let it sit for a few weeks.... Thats abominible. I can very much understand your crash fears. You could try to fiberglass and I-beam it if you find it worth your time.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

I considered it for about five seconds, until I realised it would be easier and work better to find a later model one from a non-rust-belt state.

I am reasonably sure the rust is due to the "ming undercoating" that just trapped the salt-solution in there, and then it sat there,,,,all winter...all summer...if it was parked in a warm garage just above freezing that would make it worse, as the ice and snow would then be liquid and flow into every crack and crevice under the car.

that doesn't really explain the rear hatch and the doors though...the fenders I have seen go on every other toyota that age around here, they all go in the same way, but the doors? and the hatch? that's crazy

But yeah Typ I know what you mean about figuring people are exaggerating, I bet most people do when on the internet, usually though they are like "my car is like greased lightning" when really, its some k-car or something hehe
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Hehehehe... So true. And it comes to matter of potential differential in personal opinion. While I think my dads truck is the shyznit.. or something... lol... other people may think its comparitively slow.

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

That's why I think it would be fun to take my RWD volvo and race it rally...people are like "no way you would win" to which I reply "in-class, man, in-class"....
if yer RWD old car vs AWD 2003 subaru or something, you are going down...but if you are 79 volvo vs 79 mercedes vs 79 buick or something, that could be fun!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Hehehe.. That is very much true.
Trust Volvo man, they are literally the inventors of the car as we know it.... 3-point seatbelts, airbags, ABS, I think they pioneered AWD (the Americans beat everyone to the punch in true 4x4) they invented the "crumple-zone" in an auto which is rediculously important... There isn't a lot in the way of safety that Volvo didn't come up with. Plus their engines go forever and an eternity.
I think that world-record breaking diesel Volvo just rolled over 10.5 million miles? Orig engine with no extreme rebuilds. Funny thing is that it is a car.

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

damn that's crazy! I remember when a number of years back, some guy who was the orig owner of a 1968 or something rolled 1milllion, same engine...
mine 79 has 225k on it, and i'm looking at a rebuild to replace the seals and stuff in the block, but most guys on the volvo boards go way longer than that...i guess mine sat alot, it'd be different if you were driving it all the time

I read that the engine mounts in my car were designed and mounted and such-and-such an angle that in a front impact, they shear off and the engine goes DOWN and slides UNDER the passenger compartment...that's sweet, that's what i'm talking about
yes and of course the steering shaft is telescoping, long before anyone else, seat belts like you said...

I have lots of ads ripped from 80s car magazines that show volvos stacked on top of each other, seven high, and a few wagons that were crushed like an according front and back, really bad, but the glass isn't even broken on any of the passenger compartment.

Yay!

But most of all, I like to point out to everyone that I have four-point injection in a car from the 70s...and its stock, that makes me super happy

Course there's no a/c or power steering. And I can't find headers that aren't 500 bucks
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Oh that was awesome the time when I had my door panels off...and I saw the HUGE steel pipes welded into the doors, from the factory, for side impact...

And there is this crazy extra chunk of steel back behind the rear wheels...and you are like "what the hell is that", and then you see its mating part cast into the rear brake area...and then you realise, that in a collision, it helps stop the trunk area from moving into the passenger area.

But yes back to the four point injection...yay! and I like the rack and pinion steering, it is very nice
and the european handing is sweet
The radio is harder to reach than on the tercel, though...basically the same place except further down
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

See what I mean? Those collapse points on the front-back and somewhat on the side to side scope are incredible. If you can put 2000 lbs of force into smashing up strategically designed crumpling metal, thats 2000 lbs of force not being transferred into the passenger. That may sound like a lot, but remember... If you have 100 square inches of contact that number is only 20 lbs on the square inch.. That'll cause a bruise and break some bones, like the coller bone, but not do too much, but thats still a good deal to be shaved off. With a telescoping steering shaft/column, that obviously prevents it from coming thru the cab and decapitating the passenger or collapsing their chest.
Yeah, that is a very easy but VERY VERY intelligent design. The engine mount one. Pretty much, the driveshaft is collapsable and if you get in a severe front end collision, the engine and tranny dismount and slide down and back squishing up the driveshaft, not the humans inside.
The downside to all these features is that in an accident where in a uber-car you might have to bent some metal back these are useless after said wreck. Advantage? Most of the force of the accident is absorbed in crumpling metals, composits, plastics, and maybe a fiberglass hood in the now demolished car. Where does it all go in the uber-car? That soft, tissuey, smashable, breakable, splatterable human behind the wheel and potentially his buddies or family around him. Maybe even his poor kitty... YOU HURT KITTY I HUNT YOU DOWN! lol.

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

I used to have an 86 dodge ramcharger, if you don't know what that is, think dodge's version of the fullsize blazer or ford bronco...anyway it had huge bumpers that were mounted directly to the huge frame, blah blah blah....i'm thinking "if I hit anyone they are dead" and i'm also thinking "if I hit something substantial, that is alot of energy going to get transferred into ME"

nnooo my sisters kitten is dragging my digicam around!!!! gimme
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

lol. Yeah, I know Ramchargers. Great for SUV demo-derbies. The lesser known of those early mid-sized SUV's.