Other cars similar to ours?

Post here about...well...anything!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

How about the Volvo XC70? 5 cylinder with a turbocharger with 208 hp
and 236 lb-ft of torque. Not bad. That and about 8 inches of ground clearance. Definitely longer than the Tercel and has the option for the third-row seat. Price tag is a little high, but it's a Volvo. The $35,385 MSRP price is what bothers me and the geartronic auto transmission, but luckily it has a "manual shift" option.

Or how about the new Volvo V50 T5 AWD? This car has about 10 more hp than the XC70 and has the same amount of torque as the XC70. The price tag is a little better at $29,385.

I don't know how they compare to the Tercel but they are AWD drive cars. I'm sticking to my reliable and trusty old Tercel. :D
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Mattel wrote: So I'm in a bit of a bind right now.. I don't have access to a block of land that I can leave a spare car on for parts because unfortunatly I live 1km away from the centre of Melbourne.
I am in the process..if it works out...of taking parts off of another wagon that is going to be junked....been getting the smaller stuff like the lights...engine sensors...etc...so far.... most of what I've taken off will fit in a cardboard box.

Have no place to put a parts car either.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

I know this guy, who breeds hunting dogs and drives all over to deliver them, and go hunting, and his new hobby is mountain lion hunting. So for years he was telling me that he bought just about every remaining early 80s Subaru and they kept rusting out, but they would go offroad like crazy....now just this year, he bought NEW one of those Subaru Bajas....he loves it, he took it on interstate and said he got 31mpg on an all-day cruise, and he SWEARS it'll go everywhere offroad.

I sat in one (front seat and backseat) at the dealer one time, while somebody else was buying a car, I really liked the feel and the look of the car, I dind't drive it, but I was bored, just fooling around...I also sat in a new Caddy and a new Monte Carlo and some huge SUV and I definetely would have chosen the Baja over any of those, we had a chemistry, man...I like the yellow one.

Actually I don't know which I would get, a Baja, the Forester, or that Outback that isn't the wagon? I dunno what it is, but it says "Outback" but it is shorter in the back, looks like more of a hatchback kinda thing, it doesn't have that huge ass. Course I can't (won't) spend that kinda money so the whole question is merely academic.
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

we just traded our 02 forester in tuesday night on an 05.i like it.it seems to have more ground clearance,an LSD in the rear,cup holder is now in the center console,and the back seat center headrest is almost non exsistant.i still won't take it off road but on the snow covered streets they are awsome.we buried the 02 in the mud in vermont.wouldn't have happened in the 4runner.maybe not in the tercel either.
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
grzydj

Post by grzydj »

hornett22 wrote: we just traded our 02 forester in tuesday night on an 05.i like it.it seems to have more ground clearance,an LSD in the rear,cup holder is now in the center console,and the back seat center headrest is almost non exsistant.i still won't take it off road but on the snow covered streets they are awsome.we buried the 02 in the mud in vermont.wouldn't have happened in the 4runner.maybe not in the tercel either.
My wife and I are looking at a Forester, probably an '04 or '05 if we can afford one. How was the reliablity with your '02? I've heard so many mixed reviews about the reliablity of mid 2000 Subarus of any kind. Head gaskets and wheel bearings are pretty common problems it seems.

I'm so used to driving my Tercel which doesn't give me any problems.

If we can't afford a Forester, we'll probalby get a Scion xB.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

how about those little subarus, i think they are the Justy's, about the size of a 80's tercel hatchback, 4WD, and i think they came in turbo too.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

The Justy only had a non-turbo 1.2 liter inline three, maybe you mean the Subaru Hatchbacks (I don't think there was an actual model name for them!) with the flat fours? Those might have been offered with a turbo.
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

They didn't offer the Subaru hatchback withn a turbo, at least not in the US.

I have a couple of old-school Subaru stories to tell. When I was in high school, I wanted almost nothing more than a Subaru 4x4 hatchback. I went down to the dealership and test drove a new 1983. It was a lot of fun, and had the hidden off-road light behind the grille. You hit the switch, and the emblem in the middle of the grille opened up and the light came on. Very cool. Those cars weren't available in 4wd with a 5 speed transmission, the only standard available was a 4 speed. That was a bummer, but the "hill holder" clutch was a great feature. I didn't buy the car, and instead got a Mazda GLC sport.

In 1984 I was driving past the Subaru dealership and spotted a Brat turbo. I didn't even know the model existed, so I stopped in to check it out. I decided to order one on the spot, in black. They all came with automatics (Subaru claimed they couldn't package the turbo engine and a 5 speed in the same Brat), t-tops were standard, and they had special stripes on the side. The alloys offered were aftermarket, and I realized I could buy them cheaper elsewhere. I also ordered a brush guard, skid plate, and a camper shell for the bed. When it arrived, I went to get insurance, and found that full coverage would set me back almost $250 a month. Between my hideous driving record, my age (I'd just turned 19), and the fact that the Subie was both turbocharged and 4wd, the agent told me I'd be just as well off driving a Corvette. I canceled the deal on the Brat.

BTW, just prior to buying my GLC sport in high school, I went to look at Tercels. I really liked the 82 SR5 hatchbacks, so imagine my surprise when I saw the new 83s in stock. I couldn't imagine buying one of those cars. The wagons weren't in stock yet, but I wouldn't have considered buying any wagon back then. The car they did have in stock that really got to me was a Corolla SR5 coupe (not the hatchback), in black with a black and blue interior. It had factory alloys and a 5 speed. The sticker price was $9999.99. I had the money, but I just couldn't see spending 10 grand on a car.

Oh, as far as Subaru Justys go, watch out for any with the ECVT transmission. Over the last several years I've seen quite a few of them with mileage under 30k and blown transmissions. The ones with 5 speeds seemed to be good cars.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

clbolt wrote: ...hidden off-road light behind the grille. You hit the switch, and the emblem in the middle of the grille opened up and the light came on.
That was factory? I've seen a picture of one, but I just thought it was custom! :D
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

Yep, it was factory. I've seen a couple in the junkyard over the last few years.