Other cars similar to ours?

Post here about...well...anything!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

That's what I need, is one of those early-mid-80s Audi Quattro Coupes! two door, hatchback...I always wanted one of those anyway...heh I read one time they had the ability to lock the center, front and rear diffs on command, it sounded like pick and choose which diffs to lock...sweeeet then I can offroad in my sports car heh heh heh

Actually driving around today, all day, in my 84 tercel, which is running almost perfectly by the way, I think I want a new one...one that isn't ready for the junkyard, so I can actually work on it! Cuz right now, it's kinda like "whats the point" although I am fixing up the things that annoy me, like I got a new wiper for the rear window heh. In my dream world I would wake up tomorrow or whatever and find in the paper an 89 or whatever the last year they made it was, and it would be reasonably priced, not some super high priced restoration project that some people think they can get away with, for instance yesterday I saw an ad for a 1983 VW Fox diesel for like 5k or something, the guy's like "runs great, looks great, like new!" and i'm thinking "who cares, its an 83 fox with alot of miles."

Was the tercel 4wd ever fuel injected? I'm sure this was covered recently in one of the MANY engine swap threads but I didn't read them all very attentively.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

tercel4wdrules wrote: I think that the "Real Time" 4WD Hondas had a kind of extra low gear. I saw one and on the shifter it looked like a red circle and I that I guess is a low gear. It wasn't reverse for sure because it was dog left to 1st gear. Of course there are some cars like Daewoo that have a shift pattern like that.
Yeah, the Hondas had "Super Low" instead of "Extra Low."
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

I need this so bad it hurts!

<a href='http://4wdonline.com/Audi/Audi.html' target='_blank'>http://4wdonline.com/Audi/Audi.html</a>

(the yellow one)

very interesting reading the history of audi...a very abbreviated one anyway....audi built front wheel drive cars in 1933? I wonder when other people built them? it doesn't say "audi invented fwd" or anything like that thing I have somewhere that says "19xx volvo applies for patent on over-the-shoulder seatbelts"

oh damn the pain! i just looked at the yellow car again.

I was unable to find if that audi has any form of 4-low, gotta have that, so the tercel may in fact still be a better choice..that and more plentiful and probably more reliable, but that audi is so sweet
i remember as a kid wanting one, i think I have a plastic model somewhere in a box, begging me to assemble it. I should go see my mom heh heh :)
DaveG1
Advanced Member

Post by DaveG1 »

I used to have a Vanagon "syncro"-- an all wheel drive vw van. I think they used the same all wheel drive technology. The front was driven by a viscous coupling, essentially like a centrifugal clutch system, as the wheels spun it locked up some plates via some sort of fluid. It had a vacuum operated locking differential system and a granny low. DOn't know if the quattros were 'zactly the same but I'd imagine they were close. The VC was wicked expensive to replace, as were most parts on the van. They get over 20 grand for a clean Syncro Westphalia camper these days. Way over what they were NEW. Pretty bitchen ride, but not as trusty as a Tercel.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

VW owns Audi at this point and they use essentially the same system. Dunno if they did in the 80's. I really love those VW's.... Audi's are pretty nice as well. We have a 96 Passat TDI. Solid as a rock and danm near bulletproof. Only issues its had are doorhandles and a crappily placed cupholder. The struts and brakes are worn right now, but it just rolled 155,000 miles. Original clutch (nowhere near needing replacement and its been thru 3 learner drivers) original brakes, original struts. Bearings might need a job pretty soon.
That Turbo Direct Injected diesel engine is incredible. You can basically push it thru all gears without touching the throttle. At all. It puts out something like 136 ft/lb of torque, but only 90 horses. We've gotten it up to 136 mph, very comfortably back when the struts were new. If you saw the road we did it on, to hear me say comfortably you might just gasp lol... Its just the FWD version. Sedan. With good tires, it'll handle up to 5 inches of virgin snow on the roads without a horrible amount of complaint. Just don't get much above that as 5 inches is close to plowing snow. As long as it doesn't bottom out it does fine. Incredible for the highway. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo comfortable and smooth........ Not to mention about 55 mpg if you don't have to accelerate too much. Lowest I've seen it get in city was 44 mpg. And that was with creamy thick oil. Diesels kind of goo up oil rather fast. Believe me, we got that creamy goo replaced fast after we realized it was in such a sorry state.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Gasoline Fumes wrote: Yeah, the Hondas had "Super Low" instead of "Extra Low."
Well I guess I did know what I was talking about. Do you know how this gear compares to the Tercel's?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Suuuuure... Post something I can't reply to with info or opinion.. Lol.
I too am curious. Is theirs a real granny gear or more just a lower 1st?

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

tercel4wdrules wrote:
Gasoline Fumes wrote: Yeah, the Hondas had "Super Low" instead of "Extra Low."
Well I guess I did know what I was talking about. Do you know how this gear compares to the Tercel's?
It's been a while since I drove either a 4WD Civic or Tercel, I can't remember how the gears compare. But I can give you the 1988-91 4WD Civic's gear ratios.
Super low - 4.512
Final drive - 4.428

I don't know the Tercel's ratios. Anybody else have them?
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

hmm according to cars.com, there is a 1990 honda civic 4wd 6spd, air,
"good condition" which is subjective of course
$1500....
hmm that might be a winner....
210 miles away....sioux falls SD! woo hoo!
right by my favourite camping area, the black hills.
Not the right time of year for that action though...heh unless I want to die!
I hate car ads with no pictures. That thing might be foogly! I imagine it as a tiny wagon like the tercel....except 10 years newer... maybe its fuel injected! oh yeah booooyyyee

Right now everyone is planning a lynching for the guy who went over to "the dark side" of the honda world....but see if I did get it, maybe I would be like "the tercel was better'? or I would always remember my beginnings..hehehhe
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

hmm my short cursory search on the web doesn't yield much info on the honda civic 4wd, no pictures, but I did find that they had door-mounted automatic seat belts....oh how I hate thosethings! all those circa-1990 cars had those, my sister's 88 mazda 626 was driving me crazy with the automatic belts!

yeah maybe i'll wait
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Yeah, those belts are really annoying. My parents have a 2WD '91 Civic Wagon. I think 1990 might of been the first year for them on the Civics, maybe the '88 & '89 had normal belts. It is fuel injected, the 4WD Wagons had a SOHC, 16-valve, 1.6 liter engine with 108 hp.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The VTEC SOHC? What are the dimensions on that thing?
I wouldn't mind, as long as it wasn't a fart can.
Anyone know if those things are reliable?

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Since this is a Toyota group, I might get blasted for saying that I figure a honda is going to be no more or less reliable than a toyota...toyotas are legendary for durability but so is honda...maybe not quite as much actually

If I had a Honda, I would die before i had a farty muffler...in fact, that would be the first thing to go if I bought one with that on there! I would be at an exhaust shop Day Two, if not Day One. If I was on a roadtrip, I'd pull into the first Midas and be like "hey man chop chop"

Where did you find those specs Fumes?

That thing doesn't look quite as off-roady as the tercel does though
but i'm sure if you lifted it a couple inches and put the tires on there it would be just fine heh
as long as it was crazy light!

But I have to be honest, the idea of a fuel injected engine is really making me purr right now....did any of the tercels come with FI engines, in their later years, without doing a swap?
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Not the wagons. The 98 Tercels were supposed to have a very nice EFI enigine.

Something I do know is that my grandmas new Toy Camry with the mega-4cyl is rediculously peppy for a grandma-car. Not exactly a Cobra, but you know what I mean. Can't remember the model but I was sure I saw a Z or T on there and was shocked to think it was "charged"... but I saw no chargers.. I'M CONFUSED!!!! GAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! lol

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

New engines sure are nice, aren't they? heheh zoom! they can do alot these days, it seems....I like technology
I used to work at a factory and there sure are alot of rednecks in those places, and there was this one guy in particular who had this mid80s ford Bronco...bleah!
I was trying to convince him he should get a nice new engine and swap in there...he seemed to think that an engine from the 60s or 70s would be better....uh huh. "whatever" I said. I don't wanna try to convince people cuz people are usually set in their ways...but I believe in the saying "they just don't make them like they used to"
cuz I say they are better now!

Too bad it wouldn't make much sense to put one of those new toyota engines in our old cars, huh....

My parents have a 97 Corolla....I cna't say that thing is particularly peppy. Probably the automatic trans. If it was stick I bet it would be great. But actually the car itself is kind of a plastic box that makes lots of plastic noises, and there are no amenities in it.