Seeking input on a Beck Arnley clutch kit

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Seeking input on a Beck Arnley clutch kit

Post by 4wdchico »

I have a NOS Beck Arnley clutch kit that came in my '84 parts car. The receipt in the box dates from 2004. Checked the parts # and it is the same # as my '85 t4wd. Anyone have long term experience with one of these B/A clutch kits? By and large B/A has very good parts for foreign cars but since I have heard such great long life stories about OE 'yota clutch parts I'm pondering just ordering up the parts from Butler Toyota. Suppose I can use the clutch alignment tool in the B/A kit.

I'm firmly in the do it once and do it really right program when it comes to this clutch job. I'm even considering having the tranny gone thru at the same time while the syncros and other parts are still available.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Seeking input on a Beck Arnley clutch kit

Post by teranfirbt »

From what my friend's dad can tell (Toyota master tech for 35+ years), the Beck Arnley stuff is just OEM stuff in a different box. I've had one on the 2RZ in my Celica for a couple years with no issues or complaints.
skyerunner
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Current: 1986 SR5 "El Phantasmo" Previous: White 1983 4wd that used to be my Grandmas

Post by skyerunner »

I just had autozone put a Duralast clutch kit on hold for me (~$100). Should I try to track down a BA or Toy clutch instead?
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

teranfirbt wrote:From what my friend's dad can tell (Toyota master tech for 35+ years), the Beck Arnley stuff is just OEM stuff in a different box.
I have heard reports to that effect before. Thanks for the info.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I got a "closeout" b/a clutch kit dirt cheap from rockauto. The disc was UK, bearings Jap, pressure plate Thaiwan. Don't know if the non closeout ones are better sourced.

Only have about 10k on it, so too early to tell. I did get it hot enough to smell, mudding this summer. I guess I just refused to accept that I finally got one stuck.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Many after market suppliers use the same supplier as the manufacturer, the way to know is remove your clutch and look at the manufacturers markings (usually just a logo) and see if they are the same as the B/A.

Beck Arnley quality has gone down hill in recent years, they have switched suppliers trying to reduce costs. about 2 years ago I got a set of rings from B/A, and there were three different sizes in one box, we order another set and it was the same thing. Autozone replaced the set with one from another brand, and the clerk told me that has been happening a lot recently and he hoped AZ was going to drop B/A as a supplier.

Your clutch is old enough it might be a good one, I would use it. Or if you are concerned, just order a factory friction disk (the most vulnerable part), and use the B/A pressure plate (unless it is the same as the factory parts of course). I would not use any aftermarket pilot bearing, the factory ones last way longer than the other brands, and they are not too expensive. T/O bearings are the same issue, a good one is fine, but the cheap ones will not last as long as the clutch.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)