Rebirth after 300K

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Rebirth after 300K

Post by Petros »

Synth,

You found a local source for new axles at a decent price, do you think we can do a group buy? I have been thinking of getting some new axles just to make sure I have a set for my engine swap in the near future. I know there are others on the list that might want to have a set of new axles.

Or perhaps we can get some from EMPI. they are the only Tercel4wd axles I could find on the internet that are new. Does anyone have any experience with the EMPI axles? Are they any good. I know many years ago all my VW friends seemed to think the EMPI performance stuff for their VWs was the best.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Advance (and presumably others) still shows new GSP axles at $70 each.
And RA shows (as of this writing) 1-L and 1-R EMPI closeouts (?) at $61 each. Of course shipping adds min $20-29 :wink: , so...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Crappy day! The general just got T-boned by a 2010 Dodge Avenger driven by an Indian lady w/o even a US driver's Lic. Wheel and fender took all the damage. Hub is shattered and control arm is severely bent. Not even drive-able. FML!

1st estimate is $2800 for repairs. Bet their gonna total it. I'm possibly gonna need your guy's support to fight the insurance company.
I'm not walking away with a BS $500 check for my beloved Tercel.
tercel damage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

Noooooooo! That's the nicest T4WD out there!

I saved the website details for that one out in NC that went on Ebay for $10k. PM me if you want me to send the saved .html file over to you. This may be useful while dealing with the insurance stiffs.
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

holy hell, that stinks. hope you're not injured at all.

have you kept all the receipts for all the parts you've replaced? i think between those, any recent pics of the general looking mint, a printout of the ebay ad, and an "i will not settle for BS" attitude can likely get it fixed.

good luck, synth!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WOW! We ALL feel your pain!

That is why I've saved every stinkin' receipt for every nickel and dime I've ever spent on Goldie!
Just let the community know how we can help. And the value of assorted cars listed in our Cars For Sale Forum should help. These cars do nothing but increase in value; they are a cult car, as so many have told me.

And - at the end of what will surely be an ordeal with the insurance company - make a thread on the dealings and I will make it a Sticky - will undoutedly be of value to others in years to come.

AND - follow up with trying to make the PD really pursue this case with the unlicensed driver - did she have insurance? If not, file a small claims court case against her! The fact that she was unlicensed should help your suit!

Don't forget to estimate your TIME in what you have done over the years. Heck, pile on every $ detail you can. It's done all the time in lawsuits. Go for Mt. Everest and settle for a tall hill; it's always easier to whittle down than wheedle up.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

A few weeks ago I had some new driver back into me in a parking lot, but another dent in my car. Not nearly as severe, but I want to keep it looking nice and things like this just happen. It just might be better to keep it as a beater rather than trying to fix it up nice, it is always a fight with old cars regardless of what they are actually worth.

Remember Synth, the job of the claims adjuster is to minimize the payouts of the insurance company. No matter what lies he/she tells you that they are independent of the insurance company, their job is to minimize the payouts, even if it means lying or bullying (it has happened to me). So hold your ground.

It looks like it is repairable at least, so perhaps you will have to settle for cost of new parts and you do most of the work yourself (which is just as well, I would not trust a body shop to fix this kind of damage anyway).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Inspector finally made it out after over three weeks of waiting. Still have yet to hear from the Adjuster as to what they think its worth or what they're will to pay me for it.

Kinda sad really. Complete lack of respect for the lower middle class.

Also sad is the idea of dropping $1k in frame work to get the car back up and running in addition to another thousand plus in parts. But when you're this deep in a hole, why not keep digging. FYI, not including labor, I've spent over $11k on this car and have the receipts to show for it as well.
I keep thinking I should just buy another T4WD and swap everything over, but I have soo much time invested. And the general has an awesome working sunroof. For what I have into it I could of bought 8 T4WDs and alternated as they broke.

So the 1st thought is, I still have a good left fender from the 83 SR5 I totaled, but it has a antenna hole. Two antennas? Maybe make one a long Whip-It CB unit..?

2nd thought is whether not to stick with 14" wheels or upgrade to 15"s
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

bummer about the general- why do the good ones have to get busted up instead of the junk like my work beater?? hope it all works out for you. if you repair it (as i'm SURE you will) i'd be interested in the remains of the old l f fender (mine is rusted out badly around the wheel opening.) anyway, keep me posted and best of luck! thanx.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

@rer233 ,
Old fender is all yours if you want it..

I should have a call back in the next few days and then can start the re-restoration.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Petros wrote:Synth,

Or perhaps we can get some from EMPI. they are the only Tercel4wd axles I could find on the internet that are new. Does anyone have any experience with the EMPI axles? Are they any good. I know many years ago all my VW friends seemed to think the EMPI performance stuff for their VWs was the best.
I've got a set of the EMPIs in mine, they've held up well so far, and I'm not kind to them. The shafts themselves are beefier than the stock ones, although that's probably not the part that will fail first.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

I put an EMPI axle on my drivers side recently. The shaft is quite a bit beffier than the stock ones like teranfirbt said - I'm super happy with the purchase
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

4door, where did you get your CV from?
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

IMG_0002.JPG
Re-Rebirth after 314K
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

is that the old smashed fender you're painting?? if so- looks GREAT. if not, is the smashed one still available?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)