Rebirth after 300K

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Rebirth after 300K

Post by SynthDesign »

The brass fitting for the heater core is cracked where it is brazed to the main body and dented in pretty good. Also the heater core is full of goopy oil/coolant so it's not that big of a deal breaking it.

Petros,
I don't know how I missed seeing you there. I was there about the same time period as you. I should of called you on the way up.

And yes, electric fuel pump is the way to go! Walboro FRB11
Leopard print on the engine, Nature's camo. No I'm just sticking with olive green for now on the outside.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
blade
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: No tercel. (stolen)

Post by blade »

wow the car is looking great after 300k i hope mine looks that good after 300k lol why did you paint the motor??? looks good thow.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

blade wrote:wow the car is looking great after 300k i hope mine looks that good after 300k lol why did you paint the motor??? looks good thow.
I'm starting to wonder if maybe the dash died and was replaced with a unit from another car. For 303K it's hard to beleive this guy is in such great shape.

As for painting the motor, because I can. I've got over $3,400 into the long block alone. probably gonna have atl east another $1k in factory Toyota parts not for the motor.
IMG_0088 (5).JPG
The block is 0.50 inches over-bored with a shaved 4ac head gasket, making it roughly 1.67 liters.
IMG_0076.JPG
Throw in some RCS Titanium valve springs and balanced it to 8,000 rpms.
IMG_0077 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Just got a call from Toyota saying both front hubs were toast. I dropped off the knuckles to have new axle bearings pressed in since the original ones had a lot of play. I guess it's ok as long as the bearings pressed into the knuckles fine which they did..
Another $200 or trying to find 2 ok hubs from a junkyard?
I'd like to never have to worry about servicing it again so F' it. Plus Toyota still carries them so might as well.
Still waiting on a call for a quote on a reman'd heater core.
The cost of this build keeps rising.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

That is shor purty!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
blade
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: No tercel. (stolen)

Post by blade »

are you totaly supeing up this motor? if so how many houres are you goung to have?? oh and i am sending the money out tomorrow morning so sorry for the wait but beeing out of work it got realy hard so it is on its way.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Looking good for sure. Definitely gonna turn some heads. Are you going to badge it back up or go anonomous? I believe someone here renamed theirs even.

What "color" is that engine paint?
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

Excellent photos, Synth. Please continue to update us all on how this project is coming along.
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Blade,
The motor is built! Way too much. I repeat, way tooo much money has been spent on this motor. Especially for a 3AC block. I think I did a write up on the block but it's basically a 4 year long project money pit. From the head to the block to the headers have been worked. Weber 32/34 DGEV carb paired to a Toda cam with oversized valves and ti springs. Way too much time and money..., but it's gotta go into something.

BHP wise, maybe 80, but torque close to 100ftlbs and hopefully around 25mpg or better.

No worries bout the coin for the stickers.

Splatterdog,
Cumins Beige, A 60 year old color, but one of my favorites.

Memoirs of a Dying friend:
I'm gonna start parting into the Red SR5 tomorrow, I need the newer radiator in it and need all the light harnesses for the rally and back up lights asap. Bumpers and locks ina few days.
I sat and shared a drink with him tonight. The passenger side floor board is filled with water. I think the firewall has buckled and is letting in water through the front vents. I explained he was no longer fit to drive and his organs would be passed on to others who would carry on his legacy.
I'm kinda sad, once I strip off the bumpers and pull the battery and drain the coolant he is only a few months away from a meeting with a sawsall. 45,000 miles in two and a half years and you build a relationship I guess. Hell, I wore out a Corbeau seat in that time period. Good times!

Ashes to Ashes , Unibody to Recycling, Parts to Friends I guess.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

SynthDesign wrote: Splatterdog,
Cumins Beige, A 60 year old color, but one of my favorites.
I thought it looked "old".

Looks like you got your sights set on the recent coolest T4WD post!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

I'm still on the fence about the Tercel badges. Part of me wants to show off our little T4WD for what they are, another part wants to keep people wondering. The down side is getting asked "What kind of Subaru is that?"

Coolest Tercel Post.. Probably not. One of the biggest money pits, most definitely!

More Photos @
http://picasaweb.google.com/synthdesign ... TheGeneral#
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

SynthDesign wrote:I'm still on the fence about the Tercel badges. Part of me wants to show off our little T4WD for what they are, another part wants to keep people wondering. The down side is getting asked "What kind of Subaru is that?"

Coolest Tercel Post.. Probably not. One of the biggest money pits, most definitely!
That subie thing doesn't happen at least 90% of the time already? I've had people ask that while they were facing the back end with the giant TOYOTA on the hatch. If you can keep a straight face have some fun. Maybe it's a japanese military prototype utility vehicle of some sort.

You have a contender in the making to say the least. One of these days I might have me a real nice one....
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... dis#p28004
My first post in the above thread has a photo.
While the hatch lid still has the Tercel emblem, they still ask what year TARDIS it is...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

The front brakes are almost done.
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... f=7&t=5047

I installed the fuel pump last night and am pretty happy with the installation. I still have to drain the tank but I'm getting excited to test it.
I also got the dash back out and pulled the heater core box and have started to put it back together.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

After stripping the interior and scrubbing down the interior/exterior, I have a beautiful rust-less chassis with 303k on it. The interior now smells remotely of new car and I have completely removed the rotting carcass baked in the sun smell. I also had to remove all the sound deadening under the driver seat
Hey Synth, can you share what carpet replacement kit you ended up going with? I searched here and found one kit that was running around $200, but I thought I'd see if you found some other option.

Thanks,
Deejay
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die