Successfull 4AC Swap

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
aussie 4x4

Post by aussie 4x4 »

You Beauty!!!!!
Just completed a Successfull swap from my tired 3AC which had done 350 000 kms to my new 4ALC from an 87 Rolla with 143 000 Kms on it!

Big job. 22 hours in total. started 7 in morning and finished at 5 next morning.(Including going out for parts etc.) Just a Quick list of things that are a definate TRUE and FALSE on this forum.
Things that you Definately Need to swap
Water Pump
Fuel Pump (Outlets slightly different)
Manifold (Exhaust different angle)
All Engine Mounts
Timing belt cover (because of Traverse mounted engine needed to remove )extra mount)
Flywheel
Distributor
SUMP!!!!!
Don't forget the sump, somewhere in here it says that you don't have to as it only allows room for the powersteering. NOT TRUE
It has extra room to allow for the front diff!

Now for the question everyone has been waiting for?
The Power?
Quite noticable!!!! thankyou to the extra 12 hp i love my tercel all over again!
A great advantage now in the bush or on the beach, the extra torque is great!
I would recommend that anyone wanting to swap motors swap it with the 4AC as they are an easy swap without too much stuffing about.

wish i could post some pics but have no idea how. I will keep trying
aussie 4x4

Post by aussie 4x4 »

Image[/IMG]
Image[/IMG]
aussie 4x4

Post by aussie 4x4 »

Image[/IMG]
Image[/IMG]
Image[/IMG]
<a href='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... TO0053.jpg' target='_blank'>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... 053.jpg</a>[/IMG]
Image[/IMG]Image[/IMG]

just a few pics, hope they turn out!
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

very nice! :D And good job with the swap! Do you have any photos of the engine sitting in the engine bay? And did you have to relocate anything? That new engine breathed new life into that tercel :)
aussie 4x4

Post by aussie 4x4 »

Image[/IMG]
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Nice work! ;) Thanks for sharing the pics with us!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Good work, congratulations and thank you for sharing. I'm glad you can feel the difference in power. You can also get a bigger cam and a Weber carb for even more power without too much trouble.
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

you swapped the flywheel? doesnt the 4ac engine have a different bolt pattern from the 3ac?

oh and whats a sump?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

warbstrd wrote: oh and whats a sump?
It is under the engine...which is under the bonnet...which is way in front of the boot. My first cars were British roadsters....guess what happened when I went in for parts and started talking this stuff out of the owners manuals? <_<
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

grzydj

Post by grzydj »

Wow, that looks really clean. If I can find a 4A-C I might do it. Otherwise I'm going to buy a Forester.
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

Congratulations :D :D :D

I like the colour of the block.

You were so lucky to have a shop and a helper.

I had to swap mine on the gravel shoulder beside my house.

The one thing I have noticed is that the temperature gage moves a bit more. Never had a problem though.

Cheers
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

Did you swap oil pans with your 3AC?

3ac recommended to do this as there is a slight difference in the pans. I swapped.

The bolt patterns are the same.

With the master cylinder on the other side of the block it sure gives more room for the distributer.
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

dug320 wrote: Did you swap oil pans with your 3AC?
Yes, he swapped them. That's what a sump is.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I've been thinking about this swap, myself. I do have a few questions, though. You said that the things that definitely have to be changed are the fuel pump, water pump, timing belt cover, engine mounts, fly wheel, distributor, and manifold. My question is what are these replaced with? Do you mean that you have to re-use the old ones from the 3A-C or that they need to be replaced using ones from the 4A-C? A breakdown of which component came from which setup would be greatly appreciated.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I think Aussie 4x4 has sold his rig so I'm not sure if he's still on this site anymore (I don't think it was because of the 4ac swap though!)
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms