Loss of Power at altitude

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Banjo Kayaker

Post by Banjo Kayaker »

Just joined this forum. You folks have helped me a great deal with this car. Big Thank You!

Anyways I have a '87 SR5 3AC, but its the California model which did not come with an HAC ( High Altitude Compensator). Anyways, had a lot of problems with it last winter in Summit county Colorado, and now I am in Utah for the winter. Right around 6,000ft she hits a wall. What can I do, timing wise to help this. Now the timing is already set to 13 degrees before TDC. Is that where it should always be, or just when the HAC is activitated. There is no vacuum tube on one of the ports on the vacuum advance sub diaphragm under the distributer cap.The one they tell you in the manual to take off for adjusting the timing. Any ideas?

Also, is there any way I could make a dash switch that I could just switch on when I get to higher altitudes?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've got an '83 Cal model without HAC...but I'm under 1000 ft right now. Timing is at about 12 degrees BTDC. Vac advance on my dist is probably OK.

The "system" on this engine is supposed to advance the timing and lean out the engine at higher altitudes.

My guess is that you need to get the vac advance set up right on the dist before you'll get the power back. Also sounds like you might need to go thru and check or replace your vac lines.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Living at a nice 5800 feet, my baby purrs like a kitten. For some odd reason, just going into town, a loss of only 800 feet, it has a lot more oomph to it. I don't think I have the California model, at least my block doesn't say 3A-C, just 3A.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote: Living at a nice 5800 feet, my baby purrs like a kitten. For some odd reason, just going into town, a loss of only 800 feet, it has a lot more oomph to it. I don't think I have the California model, at least my block doesn't say 3A-C, just 3A.
See if you have a sticker under the hood...check to see if it's the original hood?

3AC doesn't mean California...just the engine series.....sticker should say if it is.......
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I was under the impression the 3A-C was the version of the 3A with emission controls equipment.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Typrus wrote: I was under the impression the 3A-C was the version of the 3A with emission controls equipment.
Same here.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My air filter cover says 3A-C, block says 3A, one sticker on the hood says 3A, and another says 3A-C. I have some catalytic converter cool-air intake thing in the engine bay, if that makes any difference.

Is there a guide to how to back-flush?

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Back flush coolant?

instructions on package?????????

* drain all coolant into a container

* make sure heater control is open

* make sure rad cap is OFF!!!

* install tee...connect hose

* also clean out overflow resv

Banjo Kayaker

Post by Banjo Kayaker »

So I have decided to replace all of my vacuum hoses, but where should I route the vacuum port that is on the vacuum advancer? Haven't really found any other ports that don't have hose on them. I haven't looked for one extensively though.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You need a vac diagram specific for your car...87 and Cal...? Maybe the '85 FSM on the front page is close enough.

If somebody has messed with them.........?

Dists usually have 2 or 3 vac hoses coming off of them?

Careful about the vac hose you buy...old hose is metric and US hose isn't. Can use plastic ties to cinch the ends though.

Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

If you can't resolve your problem, get in touch with me. I live up in Cache Valley. Maybe we can get together to fix your problem. We can also BS about kayaking over a few beers.
2wagons
Advanced Member

Post by 2wagons »

Banjo Kayaker, my vacuum routing sticker on my hood was no longer legible, so I ordered a new one from Toyota. I think it was around $5, one of the better bargains from the dealership. I provides a clear picture of the routing of the vac lines. I told them my VIN and they selected the correct vacuum diagram. This assumes, of course, that there has not been an engine swap <_< .
“How did I get here, this is not my lifeâ€
Retroloc1
Advanced Member

Post by Retroloc1 »

Do you have the OEM settings for the ignition timing ?

My distributor is a bit worn, I'm not sure of the centrifugal advance.

As worst gas I can get is 95 Ocatne, so I raised the static advance from 7° BTDC to 10°.

I'd like to know the whole curve to check my tuning.
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

If you tell me what year and whether it's a 3-A or a 3-AC, which transmission,and if it's a Canada, Fed or Calif. I could get you the centrifugal and vacuum advance info.
Retroloc1
Advanced Member

Post by Retroloc1 »

It's a '83 with 3A and 6 speed manual trans.
It's an european model, so fully classic about ignition and emissions.
Points in distributor, centrifugal and vacuum advance.
No catalysator, no air pump, no EGR... classic !
No AC nor powersteering...etc

At present I have 10° advance at 900rpm instead of 7°, 20° at 3000rpm and 25° at 5000rpm. 52 or 53%Dwell

I use 95 Octane. That in fact a 85-95 that might mean 90 Octane in american standarts.

The axle of my centrifugal masses is a bit worrn, their springs are genuine.
I never noticed knock.

I don't know if 25° @ 5000 is right but it's lazy in high-revs and I'm wondering why. The max power should be at 5200 and the red line at 6000 but it's unuseful to shout over 4000 or 4500rpm.

I neither know if my intake valves are clean, that might be a reason, but I'd like first to ensure my spark setting is right.