Differences between early and later T4wd?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Differences between early and later T4wd?

Post by Petros »

Do any of you know all of the differences between the '83-'84 early Tercel 4wd, and the '85-'87 later models.

Here is what I can remember:

early SR5: has inclinomoter on dash, 3.73:1 diff ratio, early style steel wheels, plaid style uplstry fabric, some early '83 also have "4x4" decals on the front fenders and large "Toyota" decal on the rear hatch.

Later SR5: 4.1:1 differentials and closer spacing on the first 3 trans gears, different upholstery patterns and colors, slightly larger outside rear view mirror, different steel wheel designs. The '87 has different element type headlights.

There are also two types of alternators (one with an internal regulator and one without), and some also have apparently a gear reduction starter, but I do not know if that by year, or just a random production option.

Does any one know of any other differences?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Differences between early and later T4wd?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

My early '83 (built 10/82) did not have the 4x4 decals you mention; perhaps that was a dealer option?
The '86 has the center rear brake light and vertical parking position for the rear wiper, and of course a slightly different parcel cover.
That's all I can recall...
Tom M.
EDIT
buffalomesa wrote:83 and 84 have the antenna on the left fender, and the 85-up have it on the right fender.
Thanks for confirming it! I thought I was misremembering the aerial being on the left on my '83, as in retrospect it seemed like an inefficient way to route the aerial lead (the Toy beancounters missed on this extra cable length!).
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
buffalomesa
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Dlx 2WD Wagon

Post by buffalomesa »

83 and 84 have the antenna on the left fender, and the 85-up have it on the right fender. Some 83 base wagons have lowback bucket seats with a small headrest.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

funny you should note the antenna location, in the local Pull-a-part in Arlingtion WA they have an '84 and an '85 side by side and I noticed the antenna locations yesterday, but it did not occur to me to note that.

I also have a "spare" right side fender I never used on my '83 (now junked as a parts car), and it has an antenna in it. And it is even the same color as my current '84, with an antenna on the left fender. Should I ever need it, is there some reason I should have two antennas? Or should I just plug the hole?

Or perhaps since I am putting the 4.1:1 final drive and tranny from an '85 into my '84, I can put the fender on it and I would eventually have a '84-'85 Tercel? Come to think about it, the engine in it came from an '83. So do I have an '83-'84-'85 Tercel? Perhaps I should write an econo version of the Johnny Cash song about the guy who worked in the Cadillac factory.

I want eventually to build up a Tercel with all the best parts from all the years, and even from other models of Toyotas, such as the engine and brakes.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros wrote: Should I ever need it, is there some reason I should have two antennas?
When I was in HS (late '50s), the hot thing if you had a post '53 Ford, Plymouth, or Chevy was to have two antennas; one on the top of each rear fender, even if only one was connected.
And curb feelers were de rigueur, too!
What can I say?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

ARCHINSTL wrote: What can I say?
that you're old.
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

ohh boy I call this fun !
(1) rear hatch door and front grill that say "tercel " number 4 and letter WD are different 83-84 same, 85-88 same
4WD
(2) " cluster" 85-86 "EL" light goes on when use EL in gear , 83-84 no light showed but 87-88 ? will check it out later
(3)ANTENNA I seen many right or left side on same year car BUT 86 I have pull up and down antenna and also on 1987 too.
(4) rear wiper arm 83-84 flat down ( HOZ..) for 85-88 wiper arm straight up (VERICAL)
(5) big square plastic thing mount at rear hatch door where the licence plate screw on 83-86 same ,87-88 change style
plus add chrome on the edge.
(6) 87-88 they paint black on all doors frame , earlier model ?
(7) here a tricky part 83 maybe 84 both side veiw mirror on front doors, there NO rubber cover over ther door frame ,
85 -88 have bigger rubber mount on mirror which cover half of the door frame .
(8) 83-84 steering wheel which i have , have not seen in this forum so far will take picture later
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

ARCHINSTL wrote:
Petros wrote: Should I ever need it, is there some reason I should have two antennas?
When I was in HS (late '50s), the hot thing if you had a post '53 Ford, Plymouth, or Chevy was to have two antennas; one on the top of each rear fender, even if only one was connected.
And curb feelers were de rigueur, too!
What can I say?
Tom M.
I can remember the curb feelers...which were just spring wire "feelers" that extended out past the tires...supposed to make a sound so you'd avoid scuffing those whitewalls. Fuzzy dice. Hula dancers on the dash.

Redline tires were the ones for the serious racers....they didn't like the Michelins (early radials)...they would stick real well...till they suddenly let go.

Early sixties...not so old...but old enough to know better than Neu?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

toughtercel wrote:ohh boy I call this fun ! .....
(6) 87-88 they paint black on all doors frame , earlier model ?
(7) here a tricky part 83 maybe 84 both side veiw mirror on front doors, there NO rubber cover over ther door frame ,
85 -88 have bigger rubber mount on mirror which cover half of the door frame .
(8) 83-84 steering wheel which i have , have not seen in this forum so far will take picture later
Both my '83 and '84 had black door frames. The '83 it was almost all faded off, I repainted my '84 to make it look clean.

I have noticed the mirror changed, they are slightly bigger too, and more "stream lined" (as if that is going to help the drag on a little box), but I like the style more and I am thinking of switching to later style.

I think the steering wheels are all same, the later ones are only a different color (black). Except perhaps the last year, the spokes were at 7 o'clock and 3 o'clock like on the corolla if I recall.

No curb feelers for me thank you. The earliest memory of our family car, a '57 Oldsmobile I think, had these devices. I remember playing with them when I was a toddler when the car was parked in the driveway. Odd what sticks in your mind from those early years. I think they are more cosmetic than practical, but they sure were popular.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros wrote: No curb feelers for me thank you... I remember playing with them when I was a toddler...
Boy - between you and Neu...
I do have to tell you that my portrait, secreted in the attic, keeps getting grey and wrinkled, whereas moi...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by toughtercel »

as "petros"made a good discribe as ARMY code , steering wheel spoke located 7 o'clock and 5 o'clock wide flat , hand on steering wheel is bit soft and thick , and in the center have plastic logo snap-on ,picture of logo "EAGLE" hope one day if can get some picture in the upload attachment ,still having trouble .
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by toughtercel »

ohh , what is exact date of the month of 1984 when diff ratio switch from 3.73:1 to 4.1:1
vervepipes
My tercel:: 86 Tercel Wagon 4WD

Post by vervepipes »

toughtercel wrote:ohh boy I call this fun !
(4) rear wiper arm 83-84 flat down ( HOZ..) for 85-88 wiper arm straight up (VERICAL)
rome on the edge.
mine's an '85 and the wiper lays horizontal at rest
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

There are also two types of alternators (one with an internal regulator and one without), and some also have apparently a gear reduction starter, but I do not know if that by year, or just a random production option.
Three types of Alternators in two amp ranges 70? and 90 amp, Two type with external voltage regulators. One uses a black Bosch regulator box and one uses a fuse-able link coil pack box thingie(found on my 84 SR5 Canadian model), Pain in the Arse BTW and are not swappable/interchangeable.
Additions:
Pre-May of 85's have flip flop mirrors(the flip back or forth depending on which direction you hit something, much like early 80's jeeps)
Factory Tape Deck option and Sun roof option for 85+
85 and newer have a flexable filler gas tank connecting tube while previous years do not(Solid tube).
Pre 85,-65mph speedo, Post 85,-110mph speedo. (Reaganomics?)
Post October 85 went to an updated/improved oil pump(all Toyota)

Power window/locks option for 88,Manufactured Jan 88 for Toyota Canada. The last few LHD T4WDs made(Yes, I have seen one in person!)
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

SynthDesign wrote: Factory Tape Deck option and Sun roof option for 85+
85 and newer have a flexible filler gas tank connecting tube while previous years do not(Solid tube).
Pre 85,-65mph speedo, Post 85,-110mph speedo. (Reaganomics?)
Post October 85 went to an updated/improved oil pump(all Toyota)
Good call Synth, I have heard there were factory tape decks in '83, though I have not seen them. Also the speedo change was from the stupid national 55 mph that Pres Ford forced on the country (perhaps unconstitutionally) that Regan had lifted. Though 110 mph in a 62hp little boxy wagon I think is more than optimistic.

I was at the local yard today and found another difference: the grab handle over the passenger side seat is a different style on '85 and newer.