"Tercel Testimonials"

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
gobbl3gook
My tercel:: 1986 SR5, original

"Tercel Testimonials"

Post by gobbl3gook »

I like hearing peoples' "Tercel Testimonials." I've met so many people that have had a Tercel at one time or another and loved them, wish they hadn't given them up.

On Craigslist ads you can see how much people like them, like this one from Santa Fe, NM

"I love my little 4X4 wagon, but I'm moving to California after ten years in Santa Fe and need the money to move. This little Toyota has it all. The four wheel drive works like a charm, it has get up and go, can seat many people or three bikes or five dogs, and is FUN FUN FUN to drive.

"If you want a reliable city car, a teenagers first car, or just a fun car to romp in the mountains with, this is your car. It's not a beauty to look at, but if you like these wagons you will already know that.

"I have all the paper work on the car, have always serviced it, have dumped tons of money into it to make it awesome, and it's yours for $300 cash. I need the money in a week as I am out of here!

"Email me and we can arrange a time for you to test drive it.

Any other good testimonials out there?
Ted in WA
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Re: "Tercel Testimonials"

Post by Mickey_D »

Some of you old timers might remember me. I know splatterdog will.

My Tercel testimonial begins several years ago. I needed something a little better on mileage than my 81 Chev 4X4 (6mpg) to do my 90 mile round trip to work in. I found a 1986 that had been owned from new by the same woman. She drove it all over hell's half acre taking it to 186,000 miles. I got it for $500 because it was pretty badly rusted (quite normal for Minnesota).

I did an oil change on it, stole the Cooper Weathermaster tires from my wife's Neon, grabbed four 14 inch rims to mount them on and slapped them in place. I then drove it back and forth to work for a year.

Now, anyone that's ever lived in northern Minnesota will tell you two things - you better know how to drive on snow and ice that 99% of the population can't comprehend and you better be slightly loony to actually accomplish it.

Give you an idea - this is in my truck : http://www.boomspeed.com/bofh1968/boatd ... _drive.wmv

That car never once gave me the slightest hint that it was having any trouble at all. I carpooled with three other guys and one day they were all amazed that I actually showed up to pick them up. There was 2" of glare ice (glass smooth from an ice storm) over everything which made standing almost impossible unless you were wearing climber's crampons. I was doing 65mph the whole way without even the slightest amount of slippage.

I left for work one day and realized half way down my street I forgot my smokes. I pulled into one of those farmer's driveways that go into their fields. In the process I buried the front end into a snow drift to the point there was 6" of unbroken snow a foot up the front of the hood. The guy coming down the road behind me quite literally had his jaw on the floor boards of his truck when I threw it in reverse and backed right out of there like it was on dry pavement.

I never had to do a thing to that car the whole time I drove it. I changed the oil every once in a while and I put gas in it. Oh, I had to replace the distributor cap and rotor on it. And it would go through wiper blades like a kindergarten class would M&M's. But other than that it was bullet proof reliable. The only reason I sold it to splatterdog was because I was worried the rear suspension was rusted out too far to be safe anymore. He needed mine for parts for his and I seem to remember the pictures of the stripped chassis being hauled away showed he got his money's worth out of it!! :lol:

I'm currently looking around the Salt Lake City area for another one. I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee right now, but my job entails driving my own vehicle and the gas mileage on the Jeep is killing me. Plus the viscous coupler is shot in the transfer case and it's a $500 part. So I'm looking at two that are on craigslist. A 1984 and a 1986. If I can talk my wife into it, I might pick one of them up for work. I really do miss my Yota. Even as comfortable as the Jeep is, I miss my little buzz bomb...
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!