4AG 4WD?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The GZE has a 212 mm flywheel while the bluetop has a 200mm. I think redtops are also 212mm. This refers to the outside diameter of the clutch disc, not that of the flywheel. I checked the input shaft and it's 21 splines. I put the 3A-C flywheel in the bellousing and checked the clearance, there is about 5mm all around, but no more than that. I don't know the actual difference in outside diameter of the flywheels, only the clutch discs. If the 200mm flywheel is only 10mm bigger than the 190mm one in actual flywheel size as well as clutch disc size, it will fit with minimal or no grinding. The bellhousing only like 1/8" thick so more than 10mm bigger you'd likely have to grind it all the way through after welding metal to the outside first. I'm apprehensive about welding cast aluminum.
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

hmmmm, that puzzles ogg! I guess I have been miss-informed....oh well. I know mine works!!! hahaha that make ogg happy!
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I did some more searching and found out the GZE flywheel is 224mm (again referring to the OD of the clutch contact area)

And the GZE flywheel will not fit the T50 transmission because it's bigger than the 200mm and 212mm flywheels in the actual flywheel diameter.

Also, 200mm and 212mm flywheels have the same ring gear size. Seeing as the ring gear is on the very outside of the flywheel, it follows that the 200mm and 212mm flywheels have the same actual diameter, the only difference being in the clutch contact area.
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

when they hollowed mine out, they welded on a 1/4" plate casing and honed it till it fit. They followed up by putting chross-hatching on the tranny for strength. This is one of the few things i didn't do myself so I can't really give you specifics but i'll do the best i can.
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Well I found out from scaling a picture of a 4A-GE flywheel on autocad that the OD might only be 250mm, the same as the 3A-C, if I scaled it right. If the flywheel I used was a 200mm clutch size, this would be correct. If it was a 212mm, the OD would actually be 265mm. So it's one of those. 265mm would require some grinding but if I could get it down to about 260 it would fit. I could trim 5mm diameter off the flywheel and pressure plate and then use a 3A-C ring gear. The 4A-GE uses a press-on ring gear and the 3A-C is cut into the flywheel. I could cut the ring gear section off with a lathe at the right ID to fit the 4A-GE flywheel. Then my ring gear would be the right size for the starter.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Man... This forum had some awesome thoughts back in the day.

Was this dilemma ever fully figured out?

How similar is that 4wd sedan to the Celica Alltrac in my junkyard? Would that be something worth looking harder into and asking how much to just buy the whole thing? If for no other purpose, someone could pick it up from me or something.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew