Differentials

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
ROBBMAG
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 4WD Wagon

Differentials

Post by ROBBMAG »

Does anyone know if there are rear locking diffs or lockers made for the Tercel 4WD? If so who makes them. Will a unit from another Toyota fit? If I just weld the spiders together I wouldn't worry too much about binding as the roads here in Western Pa always have some kind of crap on them. I had a clicker in a Toyota Truck and I just loved the sound of it while turning.
'87 Tercel 4WD 103K
'06 Scion tC Turbo 430 HP 66K
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Differentials

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list,

There have been other recent threads on this subject. But in summary, I have never seen anyone on this list or elsewhere indicate there is a LSD available for the Tercel. however if you get an rear axle assembly from an '82-'87 AE86 corolla it is an exact width and bolt-up to the Tercel rear axle mount points, but it has a larger dia diff (stronger too), for which there are several brands of LSD diffs available (I have seen used LSD for the AE86 on ebay sell for about $300). You may also have to have the rear flange on the drive shaft changed to match the corolla diff input flange and the length of the drive shaft altered to fit (a good drive shaft shop can do this for you and re-balance it). I have not verified this for myself but someone on a Corolla list suggested it might be an issue.

One other issue is as far as I know the normal corolla comes with a 4.1:1 ratio, which will match the front diff on the '85 and newer Tercels and you are good, the front and rear diff ratios MUST match. If you have a pre-'84 Tercel 4wd you will have to swap out the front diff (or whole transaxle with the correct ratio diff in it) for the later one to get the same 4.1 ratio in the front. The '83-84 Tercels come with a 3.73 diff ratio, the 4.1 ratio is better for off-road anyway (espcially with that underpowered 3a engine).

One up grade I am keeping my eyes open for is to get a rear axle out of a '85-'87 AE86 Corolla GTS (hard to find) that has 4 wheel disk brakes. Some even had an optional LSD diff in them, so if I get lucky I will get both rear disk brakes and an LSD with it (or I can find a used LSD to fit it). The bad part is that these cars come with a 4.3 rear end ratio, so that would have to be changed out for the 4.1 gear set from the non-GTS rear axle. So there would be a lot of parts swapping and messing about, but it can be done with all factory parts that could come from salvage yards if you can find the right parts.

I keep hoping I can find a wrecked rear wheel drive Corolla GTS for cheap to get all the parts I need to get 4-wheel disk brakes (including the larger vented front brakes), LSD rear and the powerful 4age EFI engine from it to put in my Tercel 4wd SR5. So I would then have a "Tercel 4wd GT-S twin-cam". Not a factory option, but built with all factory parts. :D

I would not consider welding the diff on something to drive on the street, you will put a lot of heavy strain the drive train, including the trans (which are costly to replace). That would be good for off-road only. I would advise against it.

BTW What do you mean by a "clicker"? I have never heard of an LSD referred to that way, or does it means something else?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ROBBMAG

Post by ROBBMAG »

The clicker is locked all the time. Only the extreme torque of turning on the street lets the gears to release to accommodate the the difference in rotation. It clicks when it releases. It actually sounds like the teeth are breaking off, but they aren't. It is quite loud. Obviously not as good as an ARB locker, but still very strong locking for off road. A few of the "budget rock crawler" dudes use these. Electric and air lockers are quite expensive as aftermarket parts.
'87 Tercel 4WD 103K
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Detroit Locker? outside tire ratchets ahead while cornering
ROBBMAG

Post by ROBBMAG »

I'll assume that's what it was. It was in there when I got the truck. But yes I believe that's how it works technically.
'87 Tercel 4WD 103K
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Richmond makes what you're talking about (a 'Clicker') They call it a Lock-Right, it takes the place of the spider and side gears and is a spring loaded ratchet system. I put one in my F-350 and LOVE IT for plowing-I couldn't open the applications link, so I didn't see one for the T4WD, but here's their URL:
http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/lockright.html
Personally, considering how sensitive the trannies can be on the Tercs, I opt for the Power Trax version- less torque windup for the trannie to handle, smoother to drive with on the road (My F350 'Walks' down the road even in 2WD).
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
ROBBMAG

Post by ROBBMAG »

I checked the site and there is not one listed for the Tercel. Dang. Now if I could just convince my brother to give me one of his old Toyota truck axles, and do some cutting, shortening, gear ratio checkage, and swap the bracketry, I'd have what I want! :P
'87 Tercel 4WD 103K
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have been recently checking rear axles in the wrecking yard.

The Corolla All-trac ('88-92) uses the larger rear axle with the 6.7" diff and it comes in 4.1:1 ratio, it will bolt into the Tercel 4wd and there are LSD diffs that will fit it. It also uses the same rear drum brakes as the Tercel 4wd, and it is more common than the rwd Corolla GTS. I think the Celica GT also uses this same rear axle, the GT-S version also has rear disks and LSD optional, I do not now the std ratio gear set that comes in it. And the '83-87 Corolla GTS uses this axle AND has rear disks, but it comes with a 4.3 ratio gear set.

Also, you will have to get the drive shaft from the car you get this axle out of and have a drive line shop splic on the rear flange to the Tercel drive shaft since the input flange on the larger diff is larger than the std Tercel rear flange.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

Petros wrote:I have been recently checking rear axles in the wrecking yard.

The Corolla All-trac ('88-92) uses the larger rear axle with the 6.7" diff and it comes in 4.1:1 ratio, it will bolt into the Tercel 4wd and there are LSD diffs that will fit it. It also uses the same rear drum brakes as the Tercel 4wd, and it is more common than the rwd Corolla GTS. I think the Celica GT also uses this same rear axle, the GT-S version also has rear disks and LSD optional, I do not now the std ratio gear set that comes in it. And the '83-87 Corolla GTS uses this axle AND has rear disks, but it comes with a 4.3 ratio gear set.

Also, you will have to get the drive shaft from the car you get this axle out of and have a drive line shop splic on the rear flange to the Tercel drive shaft since the input flange on the larger diff is larger than the std Tercel rear flange.
Good info. Does the All-trac use the 100mm bcd wheel stud pattern or the larger bcd from the ae86?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

4wdchico wrote:Good info. Does the All-trac use the 100mm bcd wheel stud pattern or the larger bcd from the ae86?
yes, I routinely interchange wheels with our all-trac and my tercel. Right now our All-Trac has 4 white Tercel wheels on it, I had an extra set with good all season tires, and putting them on was cheaper than buy new tires for the Corolla. BTW my '89 Corolla GTS (AE92) has the same 100mm bolt patter too, but it uses 14 inch wheels instead of 13 inch. I do not know about the AE86 GTS.
ROBBMAG

Post by ROBBMAG »

Aaaahhh yes now were gettin' somewhere! I actually have an old Celica GT sitting in my Dad's field. I shall go down there with the tractor and roll it over to see what I have under there! All the Celicas I believe have the same underpinnings until the IRS GTS models of the 80's. Actually now that I think back, I put the IRS from an '85 Celica GTS with disc brakes under my '77 Celica. Almost went right in! It needed very minor drilling to get the job done. The entire rear suspension is on its own subframe minus, obviously, the upper spring seats. AND the heavier duty '82 - '86 auto 4.1-1 LSD Supra dif bolts into it! It's all coming back to me now. Hmmm. 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel independent suspension Tercel. I even have all the parts. Somewhere.

Now, how about an adapter for the 5M-GE Supra motor...
I have 5 good ones.
No, I'll start breaking hard to find things.
'87 Tercel 4WD 103K
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I did not realize the '85 Celica GT has IRS, and is Rwd. Humm...now that would be hot Tercle set-up: 4-wheel disk brakes AND IRS, with limited slip too! I bet there are a lot of suspension goodies available for the Celica too. That would go perfectly in my Tercel 4wd with the 4AGE swap.

Rob, take a lot of pictures if you pull this off.

I am going to have to find a Celica GT to inspect somewhere.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

phantom grip is your best bet, they have an application for a AE-86 corolla SR-5 with the 4A-C which should work perfectly for both front and rear diffs of a tercel.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I shall go down there with the tractor and roll it over to see what I have under there!
I sorry but I can't stop laughing. I can totally envision this in my head. I just keep laughing. Sorry . It's as bad me and three friends rolling a wrecked Datsun to get the trans out.

Either way I'm curios to see what you come up with. I think Petros might have the right idea with the All-trac rear solid axle. But IRS with a LSD would be killer for fireroads, just not crawling or mudding.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
ROBBMAG

Post by ROBBMAG »

Petros,
The Celica ST, and GT had a solid axle, the GTS has IRS. The earlier ones, '82? to '84 had drums, the '85 had discs. '82 - '86 Supras also shared the exact same rear suspension. I talked to my brother last night and confirmed the location of the SEVERAL complete sets of rear suspensions with LSDs from the Supras we used to road race. Game on.
'87 Tercel 4WD 103K