alternator options

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

alternator options

Post by SirNik83 »

OK. so I'm going to install some fog lights. I know the current alternator won't be a problem. but i've been thinking that i should start looking into a higher output alternator if i want to add any more electronic gizmos. any suggestions? any idea of the cheapest place to get them? got a rock auto part number? :mrgreen:
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: alternator options

Post by Petros »

Some of the Tercel alternators had internal voltage regulators, and some had external ones, they had a different wire harness for each too. They are not interchangeable in the same car. So determine which you have, and then see if there is another model of Toyota with a bigger alternator, and see if it is internal or external regulator. I would say there is likely one that matches which is a one for one swap. I would then look for the bigger one at a local wrecking yard like a pull-a-part. It would only cost you about $10 that way. If there is not you will have to rig your own wiring and make a mount to match the new alternator.

Our ford van can have two sizes of alternator, one just cost twice as much. But they mount and plug-in exactly the same, so you can swap from one to the other without any changes. It would not surprise me if it was the same with Toyota alternators.

Of course I have to ask, why would you need a larger alternator? Are you going to run some equipment that has a very large electrical draw? A lot of off road lights perhaps? It would take a lot lights to overload the stock alternator. On the Ford, we could add all kinds of gadgets, and we also have a travel trailer that plugs into the van's electrical system, recharging the deep cycle batteries off of the van's alternator. But I would not expect to do that with a Tercel.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

I've actually ran a computer, and a set of large speaker, along with my external HD off of the 12v system for a few weeks, i didn't see anything wrong. Mileage was the same, lights weren't dimmer, nothing.

I'm sure my house speakers, along with the laptop charger, and the external HD were more pull then some lights.
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Post by SirNik83 »

yeah. I have to agree that the current alternator is strong enough for almost anything. I also ran a computer and a radio system off it. but i also want the tercel to continue to have extra power.

my tercel has the external regulator.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

With the external regulator you have a lot more options. Any larger alternator that uses the external regular will work, you just have to make a mount that will fit it.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

84. External Regulator. 65amps.
1500watts stereo power. Woofers. Full-bore going, just under clipping, high beams on, rheostat all the way up, main speakers all the way up on a 55wx4 head unit, blower motor all the way up and wipers on.
Then it would have a hard time.

Best bet?

Find something that will fit on the mounting bracket. Find out what each plug controls. A GM internally regulated unit has 2 plugs. Do they do the same as the ones on the int. regulated Yota? If so, change the plug.
That sort of thing.
Bump up the feed wiring.
You just might be able to get a 200amp unit mounted. At that point, our noodles couldn't allow that much to be used lol. But having a 200amp alternator with appropriate feed to the battery will never hurt you current wiring. The battery will absorb any spikes and the regulator will keep the amps down.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

Extra power? While driving? Or is power while stopped/camping an issue? I have no power issues while driving. But since my '85 is rigged with an Engel Mt-35 fridge/freezer, the stopped power thing can be an issue. I carry a booster/power pac with an 18ah AGM cell in it and plug in the Engel into it at night. I also just bought a nice used Seimens SM55 55w solar panel for the roof rack so driving my car a bit every day when camping will no longer be needed.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Oh, I forgot to mention-
A 200amp alternator at full field can suck 40hp out of the crank. Rawr. LOL. Expect to be in 2nd or 3rd, WOT, going 35, 40mph and having no grunt left.
Then again, I would hope you aren't sucking down 200 amps of juice. LOL.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Typrus wrote: A 200amp alternator at full field can suck 40hp out of the crank....I would hope you aren't sucking down 200 amps of juice. LOL.
not to worry, that will not happen for very long. At 200 amps, I estimate it would take between 3 to 5 seconds to melt down the fuse box into a charred mass of burnt plastic and vaporized metal, and then you will not be pulling all those amps. Not even enough time for the engine RPMs to drop off.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well, if you have the alt main feed going straight to the battery, and makes sure the regulator wiring is correct, the fuse box will never have a problem. Because only a great fool would try to pull all that extra juice out of the factory noodle wires. If the fuse box didn't melt, the wires would catch fire. Now, with additional wiring utilizing the factory noodles to trip relays, like, say, here- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks ... ghts.shtml (its down a bit)
Then we'd be fine. Maybe run a 2 guage wire to the back to feed a big power junction back there, for anything from stereos to fridges and winches.

Really, I'd like to see as much of the Terc's stock 18 gauge noodles replaced with at least 14 guage as possible. Cue brighter lights, clearer stereo, etc, all with the same or maybe less work on the alternator due to less voltage drop.

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

stock alternator is only 55 amps, take a look in the fuse box and it doesn't take long to add up 55 amps in fuses. headlights, wipers, radio, blower motor and rear defogger and your already at its maximum capacity. add a set of fog lights and you'll kill it.

I killed my alternator (burnt out the diodes) by running 80/100W H4 bulbs in my bosch headlight housings, stock lights + fog lights adds up to the same wattage.
I asked the rebuilder i used if i could upgrade my alternator, he said for later model tercels (with the different regulator) i could, but not for a 83, so the way i understand it is other models with higher amperage will bolt right up, but you will need to re-wire it, which is actually quite simple once you figure out what wires are what. one wire is for energizing, one is for the battery light on the dash and the last one is a ground or something.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.