Some nice tercels

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Some nice tercels

Post by scotisha »

I was looking for some tercel's with rims and found these 2 sweet tercels.
http://picasaweb.google.com/synthdesign

I want to contact them to see where they got that bumper from. I also like the roof basket with driving and back up lights, that is what I am going to do once I find a decently priced basket (I think that I will go for a lower profile one though)
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Some nice tercels

Post by takza »

I've got driving lights on mine...but they in front of the rad to avoid wind resistance. Plus a homemade roof rack.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

Pics?

SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Hey that"s me...... :P

I made the bumpers myself. It's been transferred from 3 different tercels so far. I try and make everything with factory tie points so I can swap it to another vehicle when something bad happens. Back up lights are sweet for backing out of trail or dealing with a tailgater.
I've got driving lights on mine...but they in front of the rad to avoid wind resistance.
Wind resistance?? You realize our tercels are about as aerodynamic as a toaster. We still got the vw vanagons beat thou :)

I've updated my galleries and add more pics of the silver bullet 4age project too.
Synth
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

SynthDesign wrote: Wind resistance?? You realize our tercels are about as aerodynamic as a toaster. We still got the vw vanagons beat thou :)
Synth
Don't have the number but have heard it quoted....the CD of the T4WD is in the same range as some sports cars...and frontal area is small for sure.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

trying to find the drag coefficient for out cars is harder than I thought. I'd figure it'd be around .45 or so.
terkill
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by terkill »

Haha Drag Coefficient... Flying Shoebox!
"If parts ain't flyin, you ain't tryin"
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

If I had a model of a Tercel, and access to my school's wind tunnel, I could find the drag coefficient... Either that or use a computer program that does that sort of thing. Though I don't have access to either anymore. :(

The two big things with drag is the cross sectional area, and how the air leaves the object. So Tazka, you're right, putting the lights on the top does increase the drag because the cross sectional area increases, but I'm not sure it is a huge amount.

The second thing is the back of the tercel pretty much just chops off, which means you have a lot of turbulence behind it, which causes a bunch of drag. The ideal shape would be some sort of teardrop, but that's not going to happen with our cars. ;)
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

brianp wrote:The second thing is the back of the tercel pretty much just chops off, which means you have a lot of turbulence behind it, which causes a bunch of drag.
And for all of these years I've been telling people that Goldie had a Kammback, just like the famous Ferrari 250 GT Drogo, aka The Breadvan.
Darn...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

brianp wrote:The second thing is the back of the tercel pretty much just chops off, which means you have a lot of turbulence behind it, which causes a bunch of drag. The ideal shape would be some sort of teardrop, but that's not going to happen with our cars. ;)
The back end of the T4WD isn't that much different than the newest crossovers...not ideal for sure though.

scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

Hey SynthDesign,

I couldn't figure out a way to contact you from that pics page so I was hoping that you were one here. I guess I should have searched the user list :).

Were those bumpers easy to make? How heavy are they?

Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

takza wrote:
brianp wrote:The second thing is the back of the tercel pretty much just chops off, which means you have a lot of turbulence behind it, which causes a bunch of drag. The ideal shape would be some sort of teardrop, but that's not going to happen with our cars. ;)
The back end of the T4WD isn't that much different than the newest crossovers...not ideal for sure though.

The newer crossovers curve a little more than our cars do.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

One thing they all seem to have is a spoiler at top on the back...which I think reduces turbulence at the back.

One of these would also work?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy ... ons.php#41

Make one out of light plywood.

I currently have a partial grill block and lowered air dam on mine.

SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Yes, a rear spoiler would cut down on back end turbulence as well as give a bit of down force. A Lexus RX330 gets 3mpg better with one installed. I bet it would help keep the back window a bit cleaner too.
Then again, I don't wanna be a penguin either.(big useless wing on a flightless bird )

As for a front splitter, I like as much approach angle as possible for off roading and crawling.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

SynthDesign wrote:Yes, a rear spoiler would cut down on back end turbulence as well as give a bit of down force. A Lexus RX330 gets 3mpg better with one installed. I bet it would help keep the back window a bit cleaner too.
Then again, I don't wanna be a penguin either.(big useless wing on a flightless bird )

As for a front splitter, I like as much approach angle as possible for off roading and crawling.
Funny you mention that RX330 rear spoiler. I like the shape and the size of that spoiler. Might be just about the right size for one of our cars. Problem is that a used one goes for about $200 and I have never seen any Lexus show up in a u-pull-it el cheapo wrecking yard.