GSP Axles

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: GSP Axles

Post by 4wdchico »

I ended up taking my OEM axles to a local driveline shop and having them rebuilt for $90 each. With all the OEM tin flinger rings & ect. They stock all the parts for our CV's and know what they are doing.

If anyone wants a referral to them just let me know.
Last edited by 4wdchico on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

I did wind up getting them from Advance- $87.88 ea (+ tax). ...and no, i didn't replace the seal, I did clean the goo out from around the lip and regreased the lip before I installed the axle. I'll be doing the struts soon, so I'll be fairly close to replace that- you did mean the hub seal, not the seal at the tranny, didn't you?
4WD Chico, I'm not sure that I'd use an axle that was rebuilt unless they put larger OD bearings into the outer axle joint. That's usually where the noise, etc comes from is the accumulated wear and subsequent lash in the outer joint. I'm sure that a top notch shop has the O'size bearings to do it right, but hhe GSPs cost me $92 (including tax) and they are a nice, quality part.- and no down time while they're rebuilt.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Highlander wrote:you did mean the hub seal, not the seal at the tranny, didn't you?
I did mean the seal at the tranny - I did this on the advice of a number of other members over the years. I got those from Advance ($9 the pair); RockAuto did not stock them. They were a little tricky to install perfectly - I made an "installer" from a piece of water pipe internally ground to correct size.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Whoops! OK Tom, I'll keep an eye on it. If it looks like its leaking when I do the struts, I'll take care of it. I already have a number of 'installation tools' made from various and sundry things such as black iron pipe, Titanium, aluminum, :roll: etc. so I'm sure that I can find something that fits. BTW, no problem with the flinger on the GSP axles, it looks like you were lucky one to get that problem to deal with :wink: .
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Highlander wrote:I did wind up getting them from Advance- $87.88 ea (+ tax). ...and no, i didn't replace the seal, I did clean the goo out from around the lip and regreased the lip before I installed the axle. I'll be doing the struts soon, so I'll be fairly close to replace that- you did mean the hub seal, not the seal at the tranny, didn't you?
4WD Chico, I'm not sure that I'd use an axle that was rebuilt unless they put larger OD bearings into the outer axle joint. That's usually where the noise, etc comes from is the accumulated wear and subsequent lash in the outer joint. I'm sure that a top notch shop has the O'size bearings to do it right, but hhe GSPs cost me $92 (including tax) and they are a nice, quality part.- and no down time while they're rebuilt.
Bearings?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2235&hilit=+Axles