made my own high performance plug wires.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

made my own high performance plug wires.

Post by Mac »

I got an idea at work today while looking through the Napa Wire Automotive catalog also known as N.W.A. (lol, what were they thinking?).

they have a listing for 8mm racing-only metal core spark plug wire in bulk. I remembered that i had a set of old plug wires i wasn't using any more because there were pretty lack luster and i got NGK wires at the junk yard for $8 late last year.
so i ordered up 8' of the wire, headed home and got to work. About an hour later i had managed to basically replace each piece of wire with a high performance one, re-using my old boots and connectors.

anyways, i put them in expecting it to run a little better but not holding my breath, and with the exception of a smoother idle, it runs about the same as before except with a bit of a lag when I initially stab the gas and the secondary throttle opens up. Keep in mind I'm currently running resistor-less spark plugs, so I think my spark duration is very short right now causing that extra lag and not making a big difference. Tomorrow if i have the time I'm going to put a set of NGK G-powers in and see how it performs, my resistance will go back, but now I'll have the benefit of a fine electrode which is something i lost with the resistor-less plugs.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: made my own high performance plug wires.

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mac wrote:I got an idea at work today while looking through the Napa Wire Automotive catalog also known as N.W.A. (lol, what were they thinking?) .
Well, I Heard It On The Grapevine that Chryser wanted to name its new Belle model after STL's own Nelly - but Gabby Hayes' estate objected...
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/232556 ... 4114wPLLgT
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

hey...Nellybelle is the secret name of my Terc...even it don't know. :D I remember the fat guy and his jeep.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

i put in the G-powers, the lag is still there but not to the same extent, acceleration and idle is alot smoother.

I got about 500KM to my last tank (quite and improvement to the sub 400km/tank before I re-sealed the engine) , and this tank looks like its going about the same way, hopefully i'll be well over 500KM with my new modifications.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.