Starter -- Click, no crank. Diganosis?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
KAK
My tercel:: 1985 4wd Wagon

Starter -- Click, no crank. Diganosis?

Post by KAK »

Hello. Here's my first post. Thanks in advance for any help.

1985 Tercel 4wd, automatic tranny.

I'm having starter problems. The battery is charged, the connections are clean. I installed a new starter (reduction).
When the key is turned to start, the starter solenoid clicks, but there's no crank. The main positve lead reads 12volts. The ignition lead reads 12volts when the key is turned to start.

From my books, it seems like I may have an ignition/starter relay problem. I can't find the starter relay under the dash. Where is it?

Also, how do I find the part of the ignition that may be having issues?

Any other diagnosis/ideas are welcome.

TIA,
KAK
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Starter -- Click, no crank. Diganosis?

Post by Mac »

new starter?

the first thing that comes to mind is the little wire going to the starter on the bottom, i forgot to connect it last time i installed the engine and it did the exact same thing.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
KAK
My tercel:: 1985 4wd Wagon

Post by KAK »

The small wire is attached with a clean connection. It is a push-on connect. I believe this is the wire that goes to the starter relay / ignition. correct?

Does anyone know where the starter relay (or maybe, the park/neutral switch as my tercel is an automatic tranny) is located?

Thanks.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

KAK wrote:The small wire is attached with a clean connection. It is a push-on connect. I believe this is the wire that goes to the starter relay / ignition. correct?

Does anyone know where the starter relay (or maybe, the park/neutral switch as my tercel is an automatic tranny) is located?

Thanks.
the plastic connector on the starter for the small wire
if moves it may not work all the time
had this happen recently
had to install different starter
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.