mini update

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

mini update

Post by Mac »

well I havent been on the forum much lately because I'm working two jobs, so time is a little more at a premium.

anyways, I've rebuilt my front differential, the pinion shaft was scored and one of the pinion gears broke in two. so I got all new parts from Toyota ($120 later) and rebuilt my differential, I also set the preload so now I have .0016in, which is exactly on minimum Toyota spec, quite an improvement over what it was before, twice the maximum allowable spec (.02 in i believe)
now that I'm working at Napa, i took full advantage of my employee discount and purchased a full gasket set for my 4A-C and new valves because i was too lazy to clean my old valves, lol.
then i de-carbond that pistons, rings & head, so things should seal a little better now. since all the bearing showed no signs of abnormal wear and the crank's freeplay was withing spec so i didn't replace them.

wish me luck, i'm going to try and finish up today.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: mini update

Post by Neu »

napa, that's cool.

Good luck with all of tat.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

well the engine is now is one piece sans flywheel, and i still have to install the rear main seal.
transmission is good to go.

hopefully i can get the engine in before sundown, and fire it up tonight, i'm really looking forward to how it will run now...
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Yeh, I need to get enough money to buy a new tranny, still working on 3 forward gears, 1st, 2nd, 5th...i got reverse and EL. Gah..
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Mac wrote:wish me luck, i'm going to try and finish up today.
I think you are lucky that your diff didn't grenade or whatever...I'd have thought there would be more damage. Wouldn't want to guess how much slop is in mine...after running it in metal soup for awhile...but no noticeable difference.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dutch000

Post by dutch000 »

Any chance you took pics of your work? Would be interesting to see the process.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Neu wrote:Yeh, I need to get enough money to buy a new tranny, still working on 3 forward gears, 1st, 2nd, 5th...i got reverse and EL. Gah..
Best bet is to find a parts car? but you have to have a place to put it...or just take as many parts off of it as you can and have the remains towed?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

sorry, i didn't take any pictures, I did alot of the work at night after 11:00PM and worked pretty quickly so i could get to bed.

but yeah, the car runs great now, idles a hell of alot smoother, exhaust doesn't have an intrusive hydrocarbon smell (likely caused by the oil burning), low end torque/response is great, shifts very very niceley, its one more step to feeling like new again.
A weber is going to be installed soon too, my friends getting one for his dads 1990 B2200 truck, so i'm getting him to get one for the tercel at the same time so we can save on shipping.

in the next few months this car will probably be getting alot of goodies, I'm looking into new coil springs front and rear, new KYB GR-2's up front, possibly some MA-700 air shocks for the rear or KYB gas-a-just, new engine and tranny mounts, new windshield, HID headlights, P/S conversion etc etc.
Problem with working at an autoparts store is the temptation to buy stuff for the tercel is almost overwhelming! :P
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mac -
You probably intend on doing this - but I thought I'd mention it anyway....
I did the full KYB front inserts, mounts, and stops (also AZ springs) a few months ago. I also did the FULL bushing replacements for the front - DEFINITELY worthwhile, particularly the swaybar-to-control arm bushings. I know you did the control arm-to-body at about the same time as moi, but I don't recall if you did the others.
Incidentally, the KYB prices here at Shockwarehouse (http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... lit=struts) were a lot better than those at NAPA - I even called a couple of NAPA stores in STL to see if they would match (or even come close), and was told they could not. Be sure to check the #s in the link - I think the NAPA site (and other vendors as well) had them wrong.

As noted in a thread I posted at the time, the swaybar did need attention, although it was nowhere rusted as badly as those of some other members. I also posted the Toy-only parts numbers (http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... lit=butler) - the expense was definitely not that bad, considering it was OE - and - the prices were better than NAPA, AZ, ADV, & O'R (where the parts were available, that is). Of course, with your employee discount, you may better it.

I also did the motor and trans mounts in '06 - again, OE from Butler. As I recall, I couldn't find the trans mount at a chain store - and the cost for all OE was hardly more than what AZ/ADV wanted.
While there, you might do the both steering rack mounts - again, OE from Butler (I made a thread on the numbers). I couldn't find one of them anywhere.

Note, Mac, that I am not dissin' your employer, NAPA; the nearest one is many miles from me. The other chains are all over STL, but darn few NAPA stores for ? reason.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

thanks for the read, those shocks are cheaper than what i can get them for through work, but i can get the springs cheaper, so I'l probably be about even steven for the price.

my front end has all new bushings too, sans the steering rack mounts, mine are shot, (oil leaked onto the driver side one and swelled it), so its about time to do them i suppose...
I've been having some trouble getting some the parts (dizzy, mounts, heater core) for my car at work (with regards to them being in stock) but they are still listed in the computer, so they are probably in at least one warehouse in Canada or worst case, available via the manufacturer, just a matter of waiting for them.

another interesting thing is the KYB inserts, the part # for 4wd and regular tercel are different, perhaps thats why they clunk around (my Monroe's do, but not once the spring is installed). As far as the springs, we only show a listing for with and without A/C, but don't the 4wd tercel's ride higher than the 2wd tercel's?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well - just make sure you get #363037; as mentioned in the thread, I got this straight from KYB.
Mine do not clunk; wonder if the -030 is the one that clunks, as others have mentioned?

The 4WD stock height is 28mm higher than the 2WD (also, the 2WD used 155 tires instead of 170 on the 4WD, which would account for some of the difference). Mebbe it's a combination of the different tires, shock inserts, and springs?).

My d/s rack mount was also like a sponge from the oil. I figured "do it now so you don't have to do it in a year or so - in case the rack was harmed."

My car has (nonfunctioning) AC, so that is what I got - the ...214V spring.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain