Looking for a 4AC in the PNW

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Looking for a 4AC in the PNW

Post by sdoan »

Hello,

The 4WD Terc needs another engine and I'd like to upgrade to a 4AC or 4ALC. Anyone in the Seattle - Vancouver, BC area know where to find a serviceable engine?

Question: are the cylinder heads and cams the same on the 3ACs and 4ACs?

BTW the original 3AC died about 138,000 with a broken #4 piston. There is now a small dent in the cylinder wall from the wrist pin (presumably) and some strange wear marks. :( Anyone know what causes broken pistons?

Thanks,

Shawn
Bellingham, WA
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Looking for a 4AC in the PNW

Post by takza »

Press fit pin got loose in piston?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I see good ones come up for sale quite often on the AE86 Corolla GTS forums. If you keep an eye on these forums, you'll likely find one for free. They seem to pop up every couple months or so. The AE86 guys often upgrade Corolla SR5's to GTS's, and so scrap the 4AC in favour of the 4AGE. http://www.dorikaze.com is a forum with a lot of guys in the PNW where you'll often find 4ACs. They are running a temporary forum right now though, because the main forum crashed and they are taking their sweet time fixing it.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

GTSSportCoupe wrote:I see good ones come up for sale quite often on the AE86 Corolla GTS forums. http://www.dorikaze.com is a forum with a lot of guys in the PNW where you'll often find 4ACs.
A great tip GTS, Thanks. Wish they had the whole site up, it seems very active.

Question, any idea if the SOHC 3A head will fit on the 4AF DOHC (2 valves/cyl) block?

Interesting table here, but it shows 3As as chain drive cams instead of belt.
http://www.toyoland.com/engines.html

Thanks,

Shawn
m1marty
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4WD 6SPD

Post by m1marty »

Hachiroku.net is the forum I am on (just got out of the AE86 scene) It's an awesome PNW forum. 4AC's can be had for waaaay cheap when they pop up. Hope that helps.
Oh look.......another broken part.
sdoan
Top Notch Member

Post by sdoan »

Hey M1Marty,

Hachiroku.net is a great resource. Joined last night and already have some leads. Thanks :D
m1marty
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4WD 6SPD

Post by m1marty »

sdoan wrote:Hey M1Marty,

Hachiroku.net is a great resource. Joined last night and already have some leads. Thanks :D
No problem. The Tercel and Corolla share quite a few parts......I'm looking at suspension set ups right now. Wish I could spring for a coil over set up- can't afford or justify it though. :(
Oh look.......another broken part.