Lifting a Tercel!?!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Here is the infamous TVSV:

<a href='http://cflcomputing.com/tercel4wd/invis ... &t=204&hl=' target='_blank'>http://cflcomputing.com/tercel4wd/invis ... 204&hl=</a>

As far as that carb...that's just a guess based on displacement and that that car didn't have an O2 sensor...it did have miles of spagetti....best to ask 3ACPower about what carb might fit best???

My first car was a '52 TR2 (Triumph) that a neighbor (whose father was a mechanic at Indy) had built up and I guess was pretty fast...but didn't run when I got it.

I proceeded to basically completely disassemble it and it never got put back together...it ended up being sold off in pieces. I had BIG PLANS............ :D ;) <_<
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I actually don't know anything about older carbs but I think I found out somewhere that the 2T-C carb from the older Corolla might fit. Removing emissions stuff is more likely to make the car go slower than faster. Most of the vacuum operated stuff is there to make the engine run better as well as reduce emissions. The individual systems are not complicated, they usually involve a valve of some sort. The carb is slow because it's so restrictive.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

3A-C Power wrote: I actually don't know anything about older carbs but I think I found out somewhere that the 2T-C carb from the older Corolla might fit.   Removing emissions stuff is more likely to make the car go slower than faster.  Most of the vacuum operated stuff is there to make the engine run better as well as reduce emissions.  The individual systems are not complicated, they usually involve a valve of some sort.  The carb is slow because it's so restrictive.
As far as the emissions stuff on these cars...it is ALL there to basically reduce emissions...oddly enough.

After this likely comes power and driveability which are tailored around the emissions levels.

I leave the spagetti & meatballs on there cause it's easier and less expensive to do it that way....and since I just put a new cat on it...I don't want to burn it up.

If you remove the EGR and so forth on the 2TC carb...it will run a little richer...but you won't have a cat to worry about. I'd say it should run a little faster...with maybe a little less MPG. Though my car was doing 32-33 MPG with no EGR.

Once you start to read the manual, the emissions stuff starts to make some sense and like you say it isn't reallly all that complicated....just looks that way.

TVSV excepted of course...it is EVIL! :angry:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

JIMCAT

Post by JIMCAT »

I have an 84 Fullsizejeep that will go (almost) anywhere, at 8 mpg. My 94 GMC 4WD gets 16 mpg. I don't see gas getting cheaper, so I am going to convert this Tercel into a 32 mpg desert rat!

As long as we use the Tercel to putt around town doing errands, all that black spaghetti does not concern me. But when in the outback, simplicity is survival. Too much stuff to go wrong.

Me and this other fool learned that lesson when brush ripped out the vacuum lines to the transfer case on his Bronco (It was a Bronkette, not the real one). No 4WD when we needed it. A real bummer when you're 75 miles from pavement.

This forum is wonderful. Thank again and again for all the info. When I get rich and famous, I will donate big bucks to keep it going!

jimcat
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you can find a reasonably cost-effective carb to use without all the vac lines like the 2TC carb...hope you'll post the results and how to do it.

For the $500 Weber...you could buy a sharp set of wheels and some new Kumhos.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Results from adding the 750 lb shock boosters:

Avg at back is now 26.7 cm...I gained an amazing .6 cm!

Car feels a little stiffer riding and seems to sit higher at the back.

I do have around 1" slop that could be taken up that might gain some extra height.

So I'd say that the 1200 lb boosters would be the best bet...the ones for the smaller shocks.

Around 1/2" of the rear height I had....before adding the shock boosters...was from the metal boosters in the original springs...still in there.

-----------

Earlier results:

Avg front: 21.75 cm

Avg back: 26.1 cm

Around .6 cm of this height is from my 14X5 wheels with 195/60 tires.

---------

I'll take a picture and post how I put these in...since I modified the method some. The 1200 lb springs might do OK...they are the same length.

These are progressively wound springs where the spring rate increases with more load.

All the mods I have have cost around $70.

At this point I'm probably going to stand pat with the suspension mods for awhile. The only move that will improve things seriously would likely be custom wound springs all around made to let the car sit maybe 1" higher than stock. At least at $250 mod? Limiting factor seems to be the extension of the front struts?

People should start measuring their current ride height as per the method mentioned previously....SO we know what the typical ride height is with settled springs.

I nominate JIMCAT as our official offroad suspension guru.

JIMCAT

Post by JIMCAT »

"If nominated, I shall not run. If elected, I shall not serve" But I will crawl under Pearl and measure her ground clearance.

So far I have had no luck in the salvage yards locating a 2TC carb. We are close enough to Mexico that I may never find one locally. The Mexicans are great recyclers!

jimcat
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Well with your many miles offroad and ability tp fabricate stuff...you are a natural born leader! :D

When I check here there aren't too many 2TC carbs across the country:

<a href='http://car-part.com/' target='_blank'>http://car-part.com/</a> < checked '77 Corolla manual for a carb

There is a pinned writeup on searching for parts under the parts area....there are a LOT of sites. What I found is that if you try most of the various searches you have a better chance of finding something near.

This is the kind of place that would make custom springs:

<a href='http://www.pohlsprings.com/coil_springs.asp?Loc=coil' target='_blank'>http://www.pohlsprings.com/coil_springs.asp?Loc=coil</a>

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Got a quote on custom springs at around 1 to 2" better ride height from Pohl Spring Works:

"The springs are $250.00 per pair and we will need a sample of both.

The springs will be 3 - 4 weeks FOB our dock."

OEM type aftermarket springs would be around $250 or so for 4.

So what's a Tercel kinda guy gonna do???? :blink: :unsure:

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

3A-C Power wrote: I actually don't know anything about older carbs but I think I found out somewhere that the 2T-C carb from the older Corolla might fit. Removing emissions stuff is more likely to make the car go slower than faster. Most of the vacuum operated stuff is there to make the engine run better as well as reduce emissions. The individual systems are not complicated, they usually involve a valve of some sort. The carb is slow because it's so restrictive.
Would a carb off a Corolla 1200 work? The one that has the 3K-C engine from the early 70's to late 70's. That 3K-C looks kind of small.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Guest_le bossman

Post by Guest_le bossman »

there was someone on the old 4x4 tercel page who found a way to do it, but some of the guys were complaining of some problems. there was a company who used to offer a 4" lift kit called the baja tercel lift kit, in addition to some perfomance parts. back when that site was up a lot of people tried to get a hold of them but to no avail. unfortunately i think the site is down now and i can't remember the name of the company.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Guest_le bossman wrote: there was someone on the old 4x4 tercel page who found a way to do it, but some of the guys were complaining of some problems. there was a company who used to offer a 4" lift kit called the baja tercel lift kit, in addition to some perfomance parts. back when that site was up a lot of people tried to get a hold of them but to no avail. unfortunately i think the site is down now and i can't remember the name of the company.
The name of that company is Downey Off-Road. Very famous for making aftermarket kits and accessories for Toyota Trucks. They're right here next to me in Santa Fe Springs, CA. I called them (I have a thread on that in the General forum I believe) and they indeed made it, but it is very unlikely they will ever make it again as the car is no longer in production, so I guess bringing that stuff back wouldn't be too profitable for them. At least that's my guess.

Their website: <a href='http://www.downeyoff-road.com/' target='_blank'>Downey Off- Road website</a>
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

So Carlos,isnt Downey out where you live? Mebey you could stop~by there office ask for a copy of(or fax) there original tercel suspension-lift plans. Confusious~says,"If you want to make an omlette,you gat'ta break a few~egg's",right? :ph34r: <_< :ph34r:
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

It's only fair that if they are never going to make it again, they should give us the design so we don't have to do everything they did from the beginning.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Thereminator wrote: So Carlos,isnt Downey out where you live? Mebey you could stop~by there office ask for a copy of(or fax) there original tercel suspension-lift plans. Confusious~says,"If you want to make an omlette,you gat'ta break a few~egg's",right? :ph34r: <_< :ph34r:
Yes, Santa Fe Springs is right next to Downey, exactly 11 miles away from me. Anyway I'll try to drop by soon (It'll be awhile), but I'm sure they're not going to let go of those without some money. But it is only fair if they hand them over so we can make good use of those and continue to make our Tercels better. I'll probably ask if they also made some other performance stuff or anything else for it.