Lifting a Tercel!?!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Guest_jimcat

Post by Guest_jimcat »

Got the 86 SR5 4WD wagon (named Pearl) last weekend. I am distressed to learn that it has 180K + miles on the original timing belt. Will replace before I do anything on lifting it.

I have searched the forums and found no hints on replacing the TB. Will post any I come up with.

jimcat
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Jimcat,I havent changed the T~belt,but Im guessing a couple or so Members have and will surface shortly. You should have a manual.Mine(Chilton) says you have to remove the Radiator,Both waterpump and crankshaft pullys(belts too),then the T~belt covers.So it looks like a puller and tourq~wrench are the only special tools.The tricky part is keeping your crank on #1-TDC and your Cam from moveing by ataching an adjustable wrench to its flat sections,then after you install a new Belt,idle pully+spring and gaskets,you rotate the Crank a couple revolutions and double-check both alignment marks(origanaly set to) on the crank + cam.So its fairly strait~forward right out of the Manual.I head that the Nylon timeing~gear might be a weak~link,mabey some other members know something about that.Good~Skill. :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

It's possible that my belt was original at 190K or so...when it sheared some teeth...more or less at idle. But not to worry, the 3AC is a non-interference engine...no valve damage. Damage involved getting it home...$$$.

Been a good while since I did mine, but as I remember, the main issue for my job was a rusted on crank gear...it was 20F outside and in the wind...I actually wedged a scewdriver and a chisel between the gear and the oil pump behind it to get it out far enough to get a puller on it. Wouldn't recommend this.

I'd use lots of penetrant and you might be able to drill & tap a couple of 1/4-20 holes in the gear to pull it. Then again, yours might not be rusted.

I'd replace the idler & spring, use a Toyota belt, and be sure to get the tension exact...also be sure the belt cover seals good. Replace the oil seals top and bottom. Check both gear edges for burrs?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Takza,did you meen Crank~Pully? You dont need to remove the gear,do you? :unsure: :blink: :unsure:
JIMCAT

Post by JIMCAT »

These are great suggestions. I have a Chilton's manual for the 86 Tercel. Also a Haynes for 87 thru 94.

The manuals do not detail the distinctions between a 3A-C and the 3A. I presume that the 3A is also a non-interference engine. Do you know of a website that will tell me the differences?

Takza, did you change out the nylon timing gear as well, as Thereminator suggests? Seems like an excellent idea. As long as I have it broken down, might as well change it.

The little car really impresses me. In fact, I am amazed by its excellent condition.

jimcat
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

JIMCAT wrote: The manuals do not detail the distinctions between a 3A-C and the 3A. I presume that the 3A is also a non-interference engine. Do you know of a website that will tell me the differences?

jimcat
As far as I know, all Toyota engines are non-interference.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

JIMCAT wrote: The manuals do not detail the distinctions between a 3A-C and the 3A.  I presume that the 3A is also a non-interference engine.  Do you know of a website that will tell me the differences?

Takza, did you change out the nylon timing gear as well, as Thereminator suggests?  Seems like an excellent idea. As long as I have it broken down, might as well change it.

The little car really impresses me.  In fact, I am amazed by its excellent condition.

jimcat
Here's a page:

<a href='http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic90145.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic90145.htm</a>

Except that they claim the 1.5 is an interference engine...they are wrong.

I have other info that says:

Toyota All 60,000(10) No (interference)

This means that ALL toyota engines are non-interference.

My car was not damaged when the belt went.

The crank gear was steel on my car. You need to remove it to replace the oil seal. I used a small scale (garage sale) to get the belt tension right...you might be able to check a scale vs one at a PO or somewhere else that is accurate...fish scales might not be accurate, but work good for this.

Best bet is to do it right and then you hopefully don't have to replace something later.

I'd also say that replacing the top/bottom rad hoses is more important than the t-belt on this car?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Jimcat,unless others say something about the non~metal Timeing~gear(Timeing~Gear,Takza!!!...Right there on the end-of-the-CAM!!!) haveing problems,I wouldnt wory about it.One sorce mentioned it and because I havent herd it from any~other Ive decided its not very common. :rolleyes:
JIMCAT

Post by JIMCAT »

This is wonderful input. I really appreciate it, especially since I know this is a "lifting a Tercel" thread, not a "timing belt replacement" thread.

As long as I am going to tear into it, I would like to remove all that emissions control stuff. Where I live, we don't have vehicle exhaust/smog inspections.
I have searched the forum for posts on the topic but found none.
Has anyone on the forum removed the emissions controls from his Tercel?

Thank you all again.

jimcat
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

All toyota engines with a timing BELT are non-interference. However many (maybe all) with timing CHAINS are interference. All 'A' series engines have belts, so we are ok.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

I have removed all the emissions on my car, but to do it you need a new carb. the one i bought was a weber 32/36 dgv...it doesnt have any idle up for the a/c. but it works ok. hard to set it right, well for me it was. since no emissions you have to play a game with the timing, which i am still playing..hehehe but i have no exp. on this thats why the carb setting now is OK just not perfect. also you need a small height filter, only 1.2 inches high and it still hits the hood or get a hood scoop. the power gain was there just wasnt worth the $500.00 dollars i spent. the carb alone is like 350.00 but you have to buy an adapter which is about 125.00 or so.....something like that, its been a year cant remember actual price.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

JIMCAT wrote:This is wonderful input.  I really appreciate it, especially since I know this is a "lifting a Tercel" thread, not a "timing belt replacement" thread. 

As long as I am going to tear into it, I would like to remove all that emissions control stuff.  Where I live, we don't have vehicle exhaust/smog inspections.
I have searched the forum for posts on the topic but found none.
Has anyone on the forum removed the emissions controls from his Tercel? 

Thank you all again.

jimcat
I've considered removing everything, but it would require a new carb ($$) and the Weber looks to be the best bet ($$).

Easier to just fix all the CRAP under the hood and get it to work right. I'm getting good power and MPG from tweaking the current engine and emissions setup. Use synth oils and plan on a foam Amsoil filter (best for offroad?). Just my 2 cents.

Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

Thanks again. I have the equipment to make my own adapter plate, so I think I will start looking for a carburetor. Perhaps a carb off a 70's Toyota or Datsun 1500cc, something Pre-SaveThePlanet. Part of the motivation is the Tercel is hard to start when it is cold. I know what to do with an old-fashioned carb, but the spaghetti under the hood now is beyond my ability, or at least beyond my patience.

jimcat
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The carb off of a '76-'79 Corolla 2TC would probably work. It wouldn't run rich by default and you could remove all the crapola.

I'm finally getting my spagetti mess under control...maybe...just need to find a TVSV thingy.

Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will start hunting one. I have to go to Chilton's or Haynes to even know what a TVSV does (or looks like).

My generation gap is showing. My first car was a 54 Chevy two door hardtop with a 6 cylinder engine. I was 16 years old and I put a flathead V8 (and trannie and rearend) from a 1951 Mercury in it. Built my own motor mounts, transmission mounts, springhangers, clutch linkage, etc. Had to carry two spares, one for the GM front end and one for the Ford rear end, but it ran like hell! It was the hottest car in 3 counties. I wish I still owned it!

jimcat