ColorTune spark plugs

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

Hey everyone.

At the moment, tuning the Weber on the Tercel is a pain in the arse.
I've either got to get myself an O2 sensor and mount that into the exhaust manifold and then get a meter, which will cost about $120 total ($60-70 for the sensor and then $60 for the meter kit) or get a hold of something called a ColorTune plug.

They're a glass bodied spark plug, enabling you to see the colour of the flame inside the cylinder as they go off. Yellow is too rich and the stoichiometric flame is apparently a bright blue.

Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've seen several good references to them and one would be easy to use with the Tercel. Have no direct experience.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

Here in Tasmania, a Colortune plug kit costs $85.

If it works, it'll be fine for what I want it to do. O.k. it won't give me a nice little LED readout sitting on the dash the way the O2 sensor setup might, but I don't care, so long as I'm not shoving way too much fuel into the cylinders to carbon them all up and crap.

If anyone knows anything at all about them, whether they're good or not, please, post.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

One very simple thing you can do is the tailpipe test...just clean the tailpipe and then check over time for carbon/soot. This doesn't tell you if you are too lean though.

Could also pull the plugs and check them...expect the 3rd one to be cleaner & leaner looking.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

Took the Tercel to a good mechanic. Five seconds with a gas analyser he has in the shop set the Weber to best lean idle and correct idle speed. :D
I want one. :lol:

It runs now like when I bought it. Plant the foot, get pushed back in the seat. :D :D :D
I took the Turtle ona gravel road, put it in extra low and planted the foot. It dug holes with all four tyres. Lovely :D :D

So, now all I have to do is replace the CV joint, and the car'll be near new. That'll be happening on the weekend, hopefully. A new CV here costs $185, with exchange and I'll be getting the better part of that deal as the CV coming off is *shot*.

Thanks for all the info about that job. It'll make life easier.

On that, do you guys/girls/gender of choice feel it's neccesary to open the differential housing to remove the spring clips that hold the CV's in place?
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The CV joint comes out of the differential with a prybar.