Would this Electronic DISTRIBUTOR fit my car

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Would this Electronic DISTRIBUTOR fit my car

Post by Mattel »

we have the mechanical type distributor with points in Australia, would this Electronic one be a easy performance mod swap over? says it for a 4a but should be all the same I guess?

cheers guys

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-COROLLA-A ... dZViewItem

Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ESI-RStarion
Top Notch Member

Post by ESI-RStarion »

Should fit because I'm using a ditributor from a 4AC right now..
83 T4WD SR5 - In tercel heaven
84 T4WD SR5 - (Rolled) joined the 83
83 T4WD DLX - Daily Driver weber 32/36, Celica/Paseo front brakes, 205/75/14 Snow tires, Lifted, 2.5inch exhaust, "Rebuilt" 3ac.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

thanks Starion, does anyone know if this is an easy swap? thanks, auctions ends soon
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

It's an easy swap if you know anything about distributors. The FSM here gives instructions on aligning the marks at the gear end before installing so that the rotor comes out in the right position. Be sure to have the engine at TDC on #1 cylinder before you start.

Check the resistance on those 8.8 mm wires. If they don't have at least 2k of resistance, then sell'em to some other sucker and get a good set of OEM wires. They should have a resistance of about 4k to get the ideal spark duration.

You may also need a new coil. The Kittering ignition system (points type) uses a tapped choke coil. Modern electronic ignition systems use a coil that is wound more like a transformer.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Well I won that auction

But I don't really know much about distributors at all really, I haven't got any mates that are handy with a spanner, (they all call me) but I'm going to give this a go. How do I know cylinder 1 is in TDC (do I take out the spark plug and check?) and get a coil from the parts store, thanks Keith and starion for your replies. I will have a good search through the forums to find more out
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

No 1 cylinder has two TDC"s, one for the compression stroke and one for the exhaust stroke. When No1 is at TDC for one of those strokes, No 4 is at TDC for the other.

The best way to do this is to mark on the distributor body, the location of the wire for the No 1 spark plug wire. Use a colored marker (not black) to go down the cap to the body. Remove the cap and turn the engine until the rotor approaches the mark. Fine tune the location by using the timing marks on the timing belt cover and front pulley. Align the marks to the 5° BTDC location.

Now from here I'm going on the distributor we have. I expect that all Toyotas will be similar. Undo the hold down bolt. carefully pull out the distributor. The rotor will turn a little because it is engaged to a spiral gear. Once it stop turning as you pull it out, and it should only turn a little bit for the first half inch of removal, then don't allow it to turn any more. It should not want to turn anymore, just be careful that you don't bump it or anything.

Look at the gear end. There should be a drift pin holding the gear onto the shaft. Next to one end of this pin, there is a drill mark. On the end of the pin next to the drill mark, there should be a protrusion on the shaft housing that lines up the the pin. Align the gear on the new distributor the same way and slip it into the hole. The rotor should turn to point to where the No 1 spark plug wire comes out of the new distributor cap. You can temporarily put the cap in place to check.

With the cap off, remove the rotor. Now on the shaft, you will see the vanes. On the pickup (Toyota calls it the ignitor) you will see a metal blade imbedded in plastic face. Turn the distributor until the nearest vane lines up with this blade on the ignitor and tighten down the holding bolt for the distributor. Replace the rotor and check that it still points to the No 1 spark plug wire on the cap. Install the cap and wire everything up. Your timing should be dead (spot) on.