Front Disc information..

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Front Disc information..

Post by thebigbread »

Right now, im in the process of buying parts to convert to ventilated discs in the front for my 84 2wd wagon.

The obvious advantage of ventilated discs is cooler brakes, which in turn means less fade,
which also means shorter stopping distance.

Im using duralast part number 3290, which is the brake rotor for a 1995 tercel coupe. You will also need a caliper,
but i do not have one yet so i cannot delve into that yet.

Here is a side pic of the ventilated brake rotor:

Notice the minimum thickness, 17mm. If im right the FSM for the AL21 (tercel 2wd wagon)
is about 7mm. This poses a problem, The stock caliper will not fit on the vented disc. this will
require a new caliper, & possibly custom brake lines.

Side notes & comments:

I heard the rotors & calipers on the Paseo mount the same as the tercel coupes, but they are bigger.
In theory, they should fit with bigger wheels. (im not sure of the paseo's stock wheel size, i believe
they are 14's)

Another advantage of this conversion: plenty of performance rotors are available for the newer tercels
& paseos, i plan on buying some slotted discs eventually.

The 91-99 tercel calipers use the same brake pads as our wagons.

I did a test fit a few weeks ago, & saw that it was scraping the dust shield. It will probably have
to be modded or removed. (or maybe the shields from a AE86, newer tercel, or a paseo will fit)
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

Minimum thickness is 10 mm, standard thickness is 11 mm. That's for all stock sedans and wagons of our vintage.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Good work, I look forward to hearing how you make out!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

ive just noticed something: without the caliper, there is only about 1/3" between the rotor and the wheel. I doubt the caliper AND the ventilated rotor will fit under the stock 13" wheels.

im also going to do a rear disc conversion, but i think it will be better to go to a junkyard and buy the whole brake assembly, rather than buy each part brand new.

Oh well, time for new wheels :lol:
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

You might want to get a different metering/proportioning valve setup if you're going to rear discs. If you grab the setup off of an AE86 grab its combination valve. I dunno about the improvements an FX16 valve would or wouldn't contribute.

He. At least with 2wd you'll have an easy time of the conversion. Just one thing- I think that you'll end up with 114.3mmx4 bolt spec in the back. If that is the case, just go buy a pair of Konig Reasons or other moderatly inexpensive rim that has a double-bolt pattern in it.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew