Emergency lights

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Seattle_Tercel_Lover
My tercel:: 1983 4wd SR5 Bronze 5 door Tercel

Emergency lights

Post by Seattle_Tercel_Lover »

As I was driving down the road today, out of nowhere the e-brake and battery charge light came on. At first I thought it had just died from idling too low or something like that but when that happens the oil light comes on too. Anyways, I checked the brake fluid and it's full but those two lights are still on. It only happens after I turn on the car, I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Or know how to fix it? Is it something I should be worried about?

Other than those lights being on nothing has changed in the way it runs. At the very least its annoying. Any insights would be appreciated.

BTW, its an 83 SR5 4WD
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Alternator.
There was a quite recent thread on this, plus more in the past.
I would suggest doing a Search.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typical symptoms of a failed charging system. I just recently replaced the regulator when the alt started doing an uncontrolled charge.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Seattle_Tercel_Lover
My tercel:: 1983 4wd SR5 Bronze 5 door Tercel

Post by Seattle_Tercel_Lover »

Sure enough, it was the alternator. I took it into schucks and it wasn't showing any charge. So I cannibalized the alternator from my parts tercel saving about a hundred bucks! And did the whole job myself, my first major mechanical fix on any car. Thank you toyota for making your cars easy to work on.

It runs great now and the idiot lights went off. Before it would choose odd times to not start and I thought my starter was going out but that problem seems to be gone too. Its so satisfying to know that I can fix my car myself and not have to worry about being charged up the ass for parts and labor.

Thanks for the tips everyone![/list]
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

If the starter makes a click noise but doesn't crank you need solenoid contacts. I think the dealer is still the only source for them.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I looked for the receipt but haven't found it yet. I don't think it'll matter, though, because most times the warranty doesn't transfer if the car is sold. I'll keep looking, though.

You may want to replace the battery. Alternators can kill batteries, and batteries can kill alternators. As the alternator you swapped out was a fresh remanufactured, I'd wonder if the battery was going out?

How is she running? I miss her....

-Dave
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

coltarms wrote:I looked for the receipt but haven't found it yet. I don't think it'll matter, though, because most times the warranty doesn't transfer if the car is sold. I'll keep looking, though.
-Dave
That's what I like about AutoZone. Since all the warranty information is stored in their computer system, most times all you need is the phone number of the owner when they purchased it. I got a new battery for my Volvo like that last summer. Fortunately, I still had the previous owner's number on a card in the glovebox.