Bumpers

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Bumpers

Post by coltarms »

I'm thinking of removing my bumpers and replacing them with some steel. Basically, I'm looking to reduce the approach/departure angles. Any thoughts?
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Depending on where you are, you might get ticketed, also, it could weigh a huge amount.

If you do do it, incorporate a bull-bar up front and a trailer hitch in the back. Not really for heavy trailer hauling (unless you reinforce forwards) but in case you need to get pulled out, you'll have a good tie-in point.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

A grill guard and winch plate were on the list for the front, including something to mount lights on. Rear must have a tow hitch, jerry can holder, ax and shovel mounts, and spare tire carrier. I am also looking to build a roof cargo rack using some conduit and my ski rack mounts.
Iain
Top Notch Member

Post by Iain »

I've got the same game plan coltarms, I dont have time to get into it right now, but I'll toss a few ideas I have up here as soon as I have a chance...

-1992 TCR10 Previa LE -Thanks Jetswim-
-1987 AL25 Tercel SR5 -Sold To Jetswim-
-2000 PL2000 Neon LE -Sold to spencersummerfield-
-1999 PL Neon SE -Stolen, recovered cut in half. R.I.P.-
-1987 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe - Sold (I want it back!)-
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I think if you do go this route... Reinforce the structures further into the body. Not just the given bumper mounts. Extra rigidity, extra pulling/pushing power, etc. Heck, if I were you, I'd try and create an extra full-length subframe that extended a little past the existing "faux" frame-rails, on an even plain, both aiding in that rigidity and giving you an easy mount point for heavy skid-plates. Just watch for driveline clearance, be it driveshafts, CV shafts, or rear axle.

I know, a little beyond what you were talking about, but probably not a bad idea regardless.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Anything I do has to be able to serve as a tow point. Skids would be great, but not many places to mount them to, and they would be pretty expensive.....
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Thats why I said make your own mounting points. Tubular square would work well I'm sure, with heavy gauge steel mounted across. You don't need plate for a skid. Unless you're driving around a bunch of IED's.

83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

heres my front, i still need to make a back. it made an amazing difrance on anagle of aproach
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'll say one thing about entry/exit angles...and that is I'd rather have the tow hooks at the back and whatever hits on the front HIT before the trans housing hits the dirt or rocks.

Call the bumpers an early warning system?

One serious smack of the trans on some solid rock isn't going to be pretty?

** I actually got to looking under the car and it seems the area right in the middle between the axles is right where the rear driveshaft support bearing is...so most likely the muffler or rear floorpans would hit something before the trans...I seem to be a little fixated on the trans? 8)
Last edited by takza on Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Toybeater,
Did you fab that whole thing yourself or buy one for a different application and modify it?
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

i fabed it myself, i just bought a big sheet of it, and cut it with a circular saw, and used a router to round the edges. it works easyer to work with than wood. just use wood cuting tools
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I'm talking about the bumper.....
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

sorry, yes i fabed it up myself, i bought a cheepo pipe bender and bought some tube, its bolted to the car with 2 expedition toe hooks.