EPA has new mpg figures....

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

EPA has new mpg figures....

Post by takza »

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Its too soon to tell, and I've been doing too much highway mileage to say normal economy, but my last 3 tanks were- 41, 46, 29. More highway on the first 2 obviously. Highest I've ever seen was 49mpg, pure highway. And no, it wasn't a quirk fill-up, because it happened twice in the same day on the same trip. How you like them apples?

Oh, and btw, the last 3 trips, when on the highway, have been with 3 other "adults" (17-21) and my 1-year-old niece in the car.

I could just kiss my Terc.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

I hate you Typrus. The absolute best I've ever gotten out of mine was 22mpg.

Normally it's around 18.
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

My typical driving is all cold starting short distances, and a heavy foot at take off. I average about 25mpg. My best ever on the hwy was 34.
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

I've been getting 22-28 lately, and get 32 at the most in the summer... It could probably use some work or something to optimize things.
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This is from my post in June of 2005, when there was another thread about MPG:
"...Well, I am compelled to add my two bits.
I owned one of the first SR5s in St. Louis in late 1982, so recall the new performance.
It had no A/C or roof rack to detract from performance (can't recall if it had P/S to sap the output). It was a stick.
In suburbia driving the MPG was usually in the mid-to-upper twenties. On the highway at legal plus a bit speeds the MPG was 32-35. It never came close to 40, even at 55 steady and a tail wind..."

Preceding was with the LOWER (sorry for prior goof...) ratios, so presumably the MPG was better than the later models.
Are the odometers still accurate after 20+ years...?
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Considering my speedo is still pretty close, and my odo reads roughly the same distance to "X" location as any of our other vehicles, I'd say yes. Yar.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

In my '86 Dlx, I'm getting 30-32 MPG on a consistent basis. My driving is a lot of freeway, but some secondary roads and a slight bit of city driving as well. I'm having to fill up about every other day with the amount of driving I'm doing. When I started driving this car back in late September, it had between 171k and 172K miles.....last night it turned over 181K.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote:Its too soon to tell, and I've been doing too much highway mileage to say normal economy, but my last 3 tanks were- 41, 46, 29. More highway on the first 2 obviously. Highest I've ever seen was 49mpg, pure highway. And no, it wasn't a quirk fill-up, because it happened twice in the same day on the same trip. How you like them apples?

Oh, and btw, the last 3 trips, when on the highway, have been with 3 other "adults" (17-21) and my 1-year-old niece in the car.

I could just kiss my Terc.

AAAAAAAAARGH! :lol: Well.....I got 47 mpg on an eight hour day driving east on the high plains with a 25 mph tailwind all day....and 600 lbs in the car. I had ole Clint with me that day...we were just driftin' along....eatin' oranges.

But seriously folks...which way was the wind blowing on those days?

My 33-34 in summer avg is from multiple trips in relatively level areas about 1K feet above sea level with a lot of stops...for the most part wind is factored out....since I'm heading various directions...and usually end up where I started.

At least I think I do...let me check....yea...I'm here.

My car's too ugly to kiss.
Last edited by takza on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Jts
Advanced Member

Post by Jts »

I've been getting 24-26 city and 30 on trips to the mountain, which is all freeway but involves a constant full throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear when it starts going up. I was/am a little disappointed at getting 25 mpg city. Anyone want to say what their highest mostly or all city mpg was?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Preceding was with the LOWER (sorry for prior goof...) ratios, so presumably the MPG was better than the later models. Are the odometers still accurate after 20+ years...?
Tom M.
My car is an '83...has ~235K miles...and using Google Earth...the odo actually reads low by 1.87%. So I could add this % to my mpg results...adding around 0.5 to my mpg. So instead of maybe 33.5 mpg...it would be 34 mpg.

This is with slightly undersized tires (-1%). With 205/75/14 tires on it I should manage ~ 37 mpg....since in most cases around a 3 to 10% decrease in final ratio adds this much to the mileage.
Last edited by takza on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My 84 baby has the 3.727:1's
I live 20 miles out, the trip into town involves a 9 miles non-stop 50mph stretch, then it starts to slow up and stop more. I might call it intermediate driving. I average 26-ish with that (pre cam-timing fix, we'll see if it worsens or gets better) Worst I've gotten with pure in-town (with Denver's traffic, Loveland and Fort Collins could be at best considered town) was something like 24.
ACTUALLY, worst I've EVER gotten was 14mpg. That was before I got my carb rebuilt after the accident. Amazing the difference it made. THANK YOU CHARLEY! heh.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote:My 84 baby has the 3.727:1's
I live 20 miles out, the trip into town involves a 9 miles non-stop 50mph stretch, then it starts to slow up and stop more. I might call it intermediate driving. I average 26-ish with that (pre cam-timing fix, we'll see if it worsens or gets better)
If I remember right...you found that your cam timing was retarded by one tooth or 9 degrees? Meaning you had less torque at lower rpms and more power at higher?

Wondering if this cam timing contributed to your good mpg?

I tried advancing the cam by one tooth...no power to speak of....59% increase in time from 30 to 55 mph in 5th. Didn't bother to test mpg.

Bonus:

"I had a similar problem to yours; lack of power on acceleration and lack of power in 5th gear on the freeway. I attributed it to the secondary butterfly not opening even though the secondary circuit and secondary capsule seemed fine. What it turned out to be was a lack of mechanical advance in the distributor due to the centrifugal advance weights being frozen on their respective mounting shafts. After freeing up the weights I experienced lots more accelerative power and didn't have to keep my foot the floor to maintain 70MPH on the freeway and also an increase of four more mpg."

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Sticking weights is a common problem with just about all cars that have mechanical distributors. The Tercel may be easy to deal with. In the past, I have always disassembled the distributor, freed the weights and lubricated them with silicone or Moly-B grease. The tercel distributor has a weep hole just below the weights. Follow the mounting/adjustment bolt down to the bottom of the distributor and you will see the hole, there is a tube cast into the housing around it, but it is the bottom most part of the distributor.

With the engine running and the vacuum disconnected, its easier to disconnect the vacuum at its source at the intake manifold, just before the carburetor. black screw in thing with 1,2,or 3 ports called a fuel filter, check for mechanical advance. There are no specs in the FSM for how much advance but I'd expect the timing to go from 5° BTDC at idle to around 12-15° at 2000 rpm. If it doesn't move, try spraying a little WD-40 into the weep hole while idling. Within a minute, the advance should start working. Then at idle, reconnect the vacuum advance and the timing should jump to 13° BTDC. If it doesn't, then you need a new vacuum advance or the advance plate is stuck.

For the latter, the ignitor is attached to the vacuum advance, You should be able to move it in a clockwise direction by pushing on it. If it won't move, use a little WD40 on the ring the ignitor is attached to that goes around the distributor shaft.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

My fuel economy is 27-29 for mixed daily driving, and the best I ever get on a road trip is 33 mpg (with a recently overhauled engine). That is about what it was rated for I think. Getting 14 to 22 mpg as someone posted means something is wrong with the engine.

How on earth are you getting 40 to 46 mpg!?!? :shock:

What have you done to the engine/carb/exhaust syst?

What kind of tires are you running?

Why do you think you are getting such good MPG?

I find it hard to beleive they could even be tweeked to get that good mpg. The best I would hope for on mine is 36 or so, after a number of mods I am planning.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)