Australian sales brochure

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
drafting3d
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 100% original

Re: Australian sales brochure

Post by drafting3d »

I believe you for sure. It is clear the marketing is for the Tercel.

I think i was vague in mentioning there was a time when the Carib was imported as a complete vehicle, but that was when the local assembly plant wasn't putting together the 'complete knock down' kits from Japan.
There was a big deal where a complete vehicle was manufactured and assembled in Japan, then disassembled into components, shipped to Aus, NZ, South Africa even, and re-assembled by local workforce.
Even second hand vehicles came complete from Japan and were re-furbished and sold by dealerships!
This was to avoid taxes and boost local economy. But also it lined the pockets of a chosen few business ventures. Eventually Toyota bought them out or figured out another way to simplify the process.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Wait they had Tercels in South Africa? 😮😮😮😮😮😮whoa.

What you are saying might explain why an SR5 was marked as a DLX as per its manufacturer's plate as an NZ dude's SR5 has DLX (D) after ZWF on his make plate underneath his hood instead of Q for SR5. A Carib's AV-2 would be E instead of Q according to my Carib manual I bought from
Japan a while back. Instead of D, for it's AV-1, it would be N.

It also might explain why Toyota of the USA screwed up a 1982 T4wd's model year on its VIN # calling an 82 an 83. Japan never was dishonest like that and I'm fully aware that Toyota over here isn't the only make over here guilty of the same dishonest legal marketing schemes. I used to own a September 1982 Tercel 4wd but they screwed up the model year and called it an 83 instead of an 82.

Now it's all beginning to make perfect sense! How come no one told me about this before? 😮
Last edited by terceldude on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-Business
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

I wonder about these South African Tercels now. Care to enlighten me until some boring person turns up a South African Model Range brochure for the years 1984, 1986 or 1988 or all of the above 😁
K-Business
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Re:

Post by terceldude »

GTSSportCoupe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:18 am Sweet, thanks for sharing.
Are you still alive?
K-Business