EFI 3A-C

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Why 3 gallons?
Could I not steal the EFI off my Geo
Metro if we find its not worth it to get it on the road again? Tranny issues with it.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Typrus wrote: Why 3 gallons?
Could I not steal the EFI off my Geo
Metro if we find its not worth it to get it on the road again? Tranny issues with it.
Three gallons because it fits in the spare tire well and was cheaper than a bigger tank. We're not all that likely to do much long distance driving with something not street legal anyway.

What year Metro? 3 or 4 cylinder? As long as it's one of the TBI engines, it should work. But a non-OBDII 4 cylinder engine would be ideal.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

96 4-door 4 cyl Metro.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

That should work, but it will be a little more complicated. I think all OBDII cars have two O2 sensors, but you could maybe leave out the second one. That ECU will also have ignition timing control built in, but I doubt it can tell if you don't let it actually control the timing. The throttle body is a little different than the one we used, I think you'll have to design your own adapter plate. The 1989-91 SOHC 4 cylinder setup is just about perfect if you decide to let your Metro live.

You will need to modify your hood if you do this, the throttle body, adapter and Suzuki air cleaner is taller than the Toyota stuff and won't fit under the stock hood. I hope you like hood scoops! :D

By the way, does your Metro have a tachometer? If you decide to part it out, I'm looking for a Metro/Swift gauge cluster with a tach. :)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Yes. Ours is the, as the dealership put it, "Luxury-Sport Metro". You know, as many craeture comforts as an el cheapo car can offer, along with the oh-so-uber 4 cyl with 5-speed. lol. At least it can get 40 mpg on the highway if you baby it.

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

So I checked the specs for the fuel level senders in the Suzuki and Toyota factory service manuals. They're the same! The factory gauge will accurately display the fuel level in the boat tank!!! :D

Also we are modifying a Nissan Sentra SE-R throttle cable to connect the pedal to the throttle body. The stock Toyota and Suzuki cables are both too short. There might be other/better choices, we just happened to find the Nissan next to a Tercel Wagon at the junkyard.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Project EFI 3AC is getting really close to start-up time! :D
Most of the wiring and fuel plumbing is done. The check engine light is the seat belt light! We did actually have it running for a few seconds, but we cheated. It was running on carb cleaner. :lol: But it was nice to know the engine is still good after sitting for about 5 years on the ground under a tarp. :o
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »